The Supreme Court Decision

Montrose1100

Last week it seemed that this country had again been reduced to one of just guns, violence and hate. But this week the United Stares has proven to me that it is exactly the country that I really have, always known it to be. A country of love, faith, compassion, security and acceptance. Thank you HoustonJack.

Well, I, for one was delighted with the ruling yesterday.

Not sure how anyone could not be happy with the ruling. I mean, equality is what this nation is all about.

If a minority of people are going to be offended because the name marriage is used, maybe they should have spent the last 30 years trying to remove the word marriage from the government lexicon, rather than trying to exclude people from being legally married based on what they interpret the word to mean?

• 4 weeks later...

As many of you are painfully aware of my gayness, I'm extremely excited about this ruling. I was engaged before this happened (and honestly forgot about it up until a few days before).

I'm just excited we didn't have to make a trip out of getting a certificate. The ceremony is already taking place here, so my laziness prevails!

Anyways, I know it's been tough on my redneck family in Louisiana. Oh well, less invitations to send out!

Lousiana + redneck makes me think hypocritical investing relationships, but who am I to judge? Good for you! Congrats!

I mean some of them are civilized. But some are not. When everyone was making their profile picture rainbow on that day, they were making their's the Southern Cross. Yikes!

As many of you are painfully aware of my gayness, I'm extremely excited about this ruling. I was engaged before this happened (and honestly forgot about it up until a few days before).

I'm just excited we didn't have to make a trip out of getting a certificate. The ceremony is already taking place here, so my laziness prevails!

Anyways, I know it's been tough on my redneck family in Louisiana. Oh well, less invitations to send out!

Congrats!

Also, do you think there are a bunch of people rushing into marriage just because they can get married? Please don't think I'm referring to you.

I'm just worried there will be a wave of divorces a couple years from now which will have the neocons saying "see, told you it was the devil at play!" We have some gay friends who I'm worried will rush into it... and with any marriage... that's not a good thing.

Congrats!

Also, do you think there are a bunch of people rushing into marriage just because they can get married? Please don't think I'm referring to you.

I'm just worried there will be a wave of divorces a couple years from now which will have the neocons saying "see, told you it was the devil at play!" We have some gay friends who I'm worried will rush into it... and with any marriage... that's not a good thing.

Well thank you first of all!

Divorce will happen, it will be interesting in a few years when statistics can be compared to heterosexual marriages. (Although I'm sure one could compare already in Canada).

The only couples I have seen "rush" to get married are the ones that have been together for 5, 11, and 18 years. I've been with my fiancé for almost 5, so I can't speak for others, but it already feels like we are "married".

Marriage means different things for everyone else, for me it's a commitment and final stage for a relationship. (Starts with hanging out, dating, relationship, marriage).

Now it just means it's legal, and hopefully along with that comes protection under the law. Let's say I become a stay at home dad in the future for any given amount of time. I now have a legal safety net if (God forbid), we did end up in divorce. I wouldn't be put out on the street (not saying I could see him doing that per say, or if the situation were reverse. Purely hypothetical)...

We could be on the same health benefits, insurance from work. If we have or adopt a child, when there is a death/will. Not being morbid, we will all die one day. Since I have duel citizenship with Germany, he will be eligible for citizenship as well. Which makes the dream of moving to the EU one day a real, legal possibility.

We were getting married regardless of the ruling. The ruling just has many many legal benefits now. On top of that, as the calendar flies off the wall, views will change even more towards LGBT folks. Sure the polls say "over 50% of people support it", but with time it will grow. People who are against it will find something else to disapprove of, and maybe, just maybe, kids in the future won't contemplate suicide or be kicked out of their house because we will become more moulded into normal society.

Will everyone accept us? Probably not. But it will get better.

Sorry for the lengthy reply.

Thank you Montrose. Well said and congratulations. I hope there is room on your side of the aisle for a few Haifers. Very excited for y'all and proud of our Country. Millions and Millions people will benefit greatly. The decision will lead to more stable and respectful relationships and families.

Now it just means it's legal, and hopefully along with that comes protection under the law. Let's say I become a stay at home dad in the future for any given amount of time. I now have a legal safety net if (God forbid), we did end up in divorce.

Have you seen any info about what the ruling means for common-law marriages? I would think it should apply now for everyone.

Have you seen any info about what the ruling means for common-law marriages? I would think it should apply now for everyone.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't, particularly when thought of in the context of its formal title:  non ceremonial marriage.  In Texas at least, there's a provision allowing a couple to file a notice of non ceremonial marriage in the public records (though it isn't required).

Thank you Montrose. Well said and congratulations. I hope there is room on your side of the aisle for a few Haifers. Very excited for y'all and proud of our Country. Millions and Millions people will benefit greatly. The decision will lead to more stable and respectful relationships and families.

Don't worry Navi, I have your seat reserved at a very special table. A very, very special table. I also informed the caterers of your preference for chicken nuggets with French fries, the zig zag ones.

Congrats!

We would be hard pressed to match the evangelical Christian divorce rate. 

Archived