Rail Road Quiet Zone, New Underpasses, Closing RR Crossings, New Bike Lines & Sidewalks

I don't think this has been discussed yet here on the boards. Since I live in the area, I recently received a flyer in the mail in regards to a project that the Gulf Coast Rail District is proposing. You can read the full details in the attached images, but the highlights include:

• Reconstructing the Navigation underpass to include an intersection with a new Commerce underpass
  • New railroad underpass on York
  • Converting York and Sampson to 2-way traffic
  • Closing a number of current surface railroad crossings
  • New bike lanes & sidewalks

Although not mentioned, since they are creating a RR quiet zone, I would assume that they would be installing tall concrete sound walls like they have along Houston-area freeways (i.e., Katy Freeway, I-610 in Bellaire, etc.) to protect adjacent neighborhoods from the noise. That would make sense since they're closing a number of current RR crossings and making new underpasses.

What do you think of the project?

post-7620-0-39617100-1435096814_thumb.jp

post-7620-0-41864100-1435096821_thumb.jp

Looks interesting. Wonder where the bike path will be.

I guess they'll put in an intersection under the rail tracks at commerce and navigation?

Hopefully they'll put in a bike path there, cause commerce (aside from crossing the rail tracks) is a great way to get into the city safely on a bike.

Wow, I can already tell you this is going to get a huge amount of backlash from that community. Looks like a project to divide neighborhoods even more. The only thing that makes sense is the York underpass. I know this isn't economically feasible but if they want to reduce train noise, help emergency vehicles, etc., then they should just bury the railroad. That way they could connect more of the area together.

Quiet zones don't involve walls, just reconfiguring streets so trains don't have to sound their horns. The streets get redone at the crossings to make it almost impossible for a car to bypass the signal arms.

Quiet zones don't involve walls, just reconfiguring streets so trains don't have to sound their horns. The streets get redone at the crossings to make it almost impossible for a car to bypass the signal arms.

They add medians and I think arms to both sides. I've actually driven my car through signal arms on a traditional railroad crossing before. :ph34r:

Wow, I can already tell you this is going to get a huge amount of backlash from that community. Looks like a project to divide neighborhoods even more. The only thing that makes sense is the York underpass. I know this isn't economically feasible but if they want to reduce train noise, help emergency vehicles, etc., then they should just bury the railroad. That way they could connect more of the area together.

It will be interesting to hear responses from people who actually live in neighborhoods adjacent to the proposed quiet zone. Apparently you do not.

Greater Eastwood's first quiet zone was implemented a couple of years ago and, according to residents, seems to work pretty well. There were a few protests about streets being closed, but access for emergency vehicles hasn't been a problem.

No I don't but I attend a lot of superneighborhood meetings, and the feedback from Houston residence is usually the same. This city has been recovering from the decades of dividing this city's neighborhoods up, whether it be highways, railroads, etc. This is probably the first project I've seen in a while that actually wants to end more neighborhood connections, rather than build upon what we already have. I doubt residents will have problems with a quiet zone... they'll most likely enjoy that. But closing streets down, you can imagine the hell this is going to raise.

I know where that is . I used to work at a warehouse along the tracks and walk those tracks to downtown after work . I would keep the Milby and McKinney crossings open because underpasses have a tendency to flood during storms . Sampson and York both should be underpasses . UP Signalhouse and the HB&T Enginehouse is on McKinney. The Franklin/Navigation@Commerce underpass would be an intersection under the tracks in similarity to Hardy@Crosstimbers(UP) and Clinton@Wayside(BNSF/UP) into Congress Yard (UP). The street a block north of that crossing would have be opened as a atgrade again in case that underpass flood during storms . The idea is create a third passing siding or MOW access along the tracks between yards to prevent bottlenecking . The reason of the Milby crossing closing is because of tankcar seal repair and janitorial shop where they repair seals and wash out tankcars . That would be a hold up because of switching in and out tankcars . 

Looks interesting. Wonder where the bike path will be.

I guess they'll put in an intersection under the rail tracks at commerce and navigation?

Hopefully they'll put in a bike path there, cause commerce (aside from crossing the rail tracks) is a great way to get into the city safely on a bike.

Yes, that's my interpretation of it. The two underpasses will intersect below the RR tracks and feature either a traffic light or a stop sign. So if you're travelling on Commerce you could elect to take a left or right onto Navigation and vice versa.

The bike paths & sidewalks I am assuming will be featured in the design of the underpasses. So pedestrians and bikers can avoid waiting for trains as well. The current Navigation underpass has no shoulder that I would consider for bikes & pedestrians.

I know where that is . I used to work at a warehouse along the tracks and walk those tracks to downtown after work . I would keep the Milby and McKinney crossings open because underpasses have a tendency to flood during storms . Sampson and York both should be underpasses . UP Signalhouse and the HB&T Enginehouse is on McKinney. The Franklin/Navigation@Commerce underpass would be an intersection under the tracks in similarity to Hardy@Crosstimbers(UP) and Clinton@Wayside(BNSF/UP) into Congress Yard (UP). The street a block north of that crossing would have be opened as a atgrade again in case that underpass flood during storms . The idea is create a third passing siding or MOW access along the tracks between yards to prevent bottlenecking . The reason of the Milby crossing closing is because of tankcar seal repair and janitorial shop where they repair seals and wash out tankcars . That would be a hold up because of switching in and out tankcars . 

yeah, I don't get it, there exist already a number of places in Houston with at grade crossings in quiet zones.

the north/south rail line is close to 610 through the galleria area and bellaire.

the washington corridor.

You make the most sense. Maybe you should attend this meeting.  ;)

• 7 months later...

I wish I could grant some of these posts some credibility, however pessimists and local activists are usually the most uneducated of sorts.

The truth is:

• The proposal states that most of these underpasses will be supported by pump stations (therefore flood claims are simply untrue)
  • Flood claims in general: ? You are in a 100-500 year actual flood plain if you check HC records. If your preferred underpass floods, take a different route.
  • Separation of neighborhoods: ? That's why each neighborhood is given a different name. The status quo is not concerned.

Bottom Line:

• Quiet Zone is needed and will be well received. A vast majority of EADO and East Downtown residents want this because quality of life and sleep are important to well being; more important than a few closed roads and rare instances of flooded underpasses. Unfortunately, there are a few pinheads that like to object to every improvement of their neighborhood because they are uneducated and severely stubborn. 

regarding pumps and floods.

the east end seems to not really have the pumps turned on when it rains.

underpasses are routinely flooded in all kinds of rain. the worst offender is lockwood/elgin under 45. it can sprinkle and there's 3 ft of water.

I assume you don't live near a RR, for about 2 years you will wake up to the noise of a train horn, but I can't honestly tell you the last time I woke up to the sound of a train horn. I still hear them during the days. I live at the corner of telephone and lawndale, so about 1/4 mile from a RR crossing, plenty close to hear the horns (and boy did I when I first moved in, there was this one operator who's whistle pattern is one really looooooong honk, two short, then another really loooooong one. They've each got their own signature horn tooting pattern, but that guy. I wanted to beat him up). 

It's not the horns that wake you up in the middle of the night, it's when they are smashing the rail cars together in an attempt to explode them into millions of pieces. The area is close enough to a switching yard, and it happens that they switch tracks, cars in this rail yard. so you get a lot of stops/starts (and the banging noises that come with that), hookups (and those are the really noisy ones, and they are amplified when they are smashing empty cars).

Quiet zone or no, this is never going away, and the difference is, 2-3 times a night vs 2-3 times a week. Your mind just won't get used to it, and it's a sharp clanging rather than a mournful toot.

Speaking of rail issues, does it seem like there are more stalled rail cars on the crossing on Telephone near Lawndale?  This morning was about a 25 minute stall  - i only know it was that long because I was waiting for the 40 bus going toward Downtown and stood there at the bus stop for a bit trying that whole "patience" thing, until I finally gave up and walked to a different stop.  Just seems that usually when I come out on Telephone and decide whether to go right or left, if the train is there, its usually not moving.  My guess is the switch yard you mention has issues these days?

As you said, the noise is something you adjust to, living in Broadmoor, I don't even notice the train at night anymore, but still a Quiet Zone would be nice at least for the long term peace and quiet.  

it actually does seem that there are more stalled trains than there have been historically.

Thinking about it, I actually wonder if the crossings are already QZ? I am trying to remember the last time I heard a train whistle on that track in a while, I know on the one that goes over polk that they still wail on the horn, but I am unsure if I've heard a train horn on the one that goes by broadmoor in a while. I'll have to listen more carefully.

Are you still liking the Broadmoor?

Yep!  Its a nice little pocket, I feel like every day I walk my dog there is something different going on.  More and more houses over on Munger seem to be getting the rehab treatment.  The taco joint that took over Oakleaf is putting out some solid breakfast tacos if you haven't been over yet.

FYI i do visit the Nook from time to time when I have work that I didn't finish in the office but don't feel like I can concentrate enough at home to finish up.  I think I bring up the average age of the place by about 10 years.  Why no Houston beers though?  Although I'm guessing I'm in the minority here that drinks alcohol instead of just coffee at the Nook.

we started out with only local beers, but when pinks opened and had half their taps filled with local beers, and then calhouns above added local beers too, we decided to switch it up and go with high quality at a good price point that we thought the students would enjoy. so rather than having the same stuff as these guys, we have different stuff so we aren't competing. The rotation seems to work well.

I've only been to the new oakleaf once since they renamed the place. It's pretty good, I need to go back.

pessimists and local activists are usually the most uneducated of sorts.

And that's probably one of the dumbest statements I've ever read.

Pessimism and activism have nothing to do with a person's level of education. You can be well educated and be an activist. For such an educated person as yourself, are you telling me you've never been a pessimist about something before? Does that make you a moron whenever you are pessimistic?

Not too concerned about the water pumps but separation of neighborhoods is absolutely a legitimate concern. Take my neighborhood as a perfect example... was once part of a bustling Woodland Heights area, I-45 came on through and tore apart a community. Now the section I live in has fallen apart throughout the decades with vacant lots sprinkled everywhere while the Woodland Heights is doing quite well. Need to be thinking about the unintended consequences of dividing this area even more. Will the west side of this new project grow economically vibrant while the east side falls apart? All I'm saying is that it's a legitimate concern. I think greater connectivity should be the solution as opposed to closing off streets.

• 7 months later...
24 minutes ago, samagon said:

McKinney is closed with temporary barriers just east of Scott.

They are doing something around the RR tracks.

Does anyone know if this is normal maintenance, or am I never going to be able to use McKinney as a through street again?

They are doing maintenance -- Commerce and Runnels were closed over the weekend while they worked in those areas...

• The title was changed to Rail Road Quiet Zone, New Underpasses, Closing RR Crossings, New Bike Lines & Sidewalks

Archived