Locations Of Old Antenna Towers

DJboutit

• 3 weeks later...

There's a 200 footer just east of I-45, north of the North Loop. It's on Neyland St. but I'm unsure of the physical address. It is unlit at night, has had a lot of the cabling stolen, and has nothing apparently on it. Been unused since the 1990s, IIRC.

There's a 200 footer just east of I-45, north of the North Loop. It's on Neyland St. but I'm unsure of the physical address. It is unlit at night, has had a lot of the cabling stolen, and has nothing apparently on it. Been unused since the 1990s, IIRC.

Is that the one at 131 1/2 Basswood?

Here's the FCC page for it http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=610194

If it is unlighted, send a note to the FCC and the FAA. They jump on that sort of thing

Is that the one at 131 1/2 Basswood?

Here's the FCC page for it http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/AsrSearch/asrRegistration.jsp?regKey=610194

If it is unlighted, send a note to the FCC and the FAA. They jump on that sort of thing

Yep, that's it. I don't believe it is required to be lit anymore because of its limited height, Ross. This stick was damaged during one of the storms (Alicia, maybe?) and lost the top of the antenna in the process. It was originally quite a bit taller, but once it was dropped to its current elevation, the lighting requirements were nullified. Can't remember the exact number, but I think anything below 200' is permitted to remain unlit by the FAA. The lights remain on the tower, at least the last time I actually looked closely at it. Of course, it's got to be pretty hard to send electricity to them when the wires leading to the lights have been stripped by theives.

Not Alicia, the tower wasn't built until 1995, 12 years after Alicia. If the tower is shorter than the FCC data shows, which is 102 meters, American Tower needs to submit some amendments.

In any case, for the OP, the FCC database might be a good place to start your search for unused antennas.

Good call, FCC database should help DJBoutit immensely. You have piqued my interest on this antenna, Ross. Was this 1995 erection a replacement for the original antenna that stood there? The reason I ask is that the tower looks so much older than a mere 20 years old. That's hard to fathom that it would fall into such disrepair in a relatively short time span. I would've sworn it had been there long before 1995.

102 meters? Yeah, there's no way. That'd be around 335 feet tall, and it very well may have been at one time, but given the naked eye test it appears to be short of 200'.

From Google Earth, it looks like there was an antenna there in the 70's. It must have been replaced with the existing structure at some point. I haven't found any way to get historical records out of the FCC. And, it looks like the tower shrank in the mid 2000's

• The title was changed to Locations Of Old Antenna Towers

Archived