Morton's/Lance/Tom's/Dentler's Snacks

Ashikaga

There are some other brand of potato chips and snacks that come back into my mind. I know that Lance and Tom's are still around. I remember Morton's from my days in Houston (1962-64), but I don't know if they're still around. Are any of these snacks made in Houston?

There are some other brand of potato chips and snacks that come back into my mind.  I know that Lance and Tom's are still around.  I remember Morton's from my days in Houston (1962-64), but I don't know if they're still around.  Are any of these snacks made in Houston?

Back in the early 60s I lived in east Texas. Most potato chips were Lays, Mortons or My-T-Fine.

But I remember when going to visit my grandparents in Houston they had Dentler's. (Think I've got the name right.) So I associated Dentler's with Houston.

Back in the early 60s I lived in east Texas.  Most potato chips were Lays, Mortons or My-T-Fine.

But I remember when going to visit my grandparents in Houston they had Dentler's.  (Think I've got the name right.)  So I associated Dentler's with Houston.

Dentler Maid - best potato chips ever. I ate nothing else as a child. They were absorbed by Lay's.

I think they were actually made in Conroe or Humble; the son of the couple who founded the company, George Dentler, had Dentler's Pier 21, a good seafood restaurant on Fannin at Braeswood that was in biz up until the mid-70s or so. I understand he later managed Magic Island.

Now you've prodded my memory again!  I completely forgot about Dentler's.  Now I remember them just like it was yesterday.

I've always associated Lance and Tom's with vending machines.

Did anyone ever get those potato chips that came in a big round tin can. I seem to remember my parents bringing those home on special occasions or ordering them from some door to door salesmen.

I also remember in the early 80's when flavored popcorn was all the rage. There was even a chic little popcorn store in the Galleria. There was cinnamon, chocolate, sour cream and onion, BBQ, cheese, regular, etc etc etc. Those also came in big round tins.

Then there was smartfood in college. Popcorn in a bag, but it was so delicious (especially after a few gallons of beer).

When I lived in Houston my wife would make me drive to the Louisiana border every couple of weeks to load up on Andy Capp's Cheddar Fries at the first convenience store.

Thankfully after about a year of that they started carrying them at a Texaco on 610 North.

When I lived in Houston my wife would make me drive to the Louisiana border every couple of weeks to load up on Andy Capp's Cheddar Fries at the first convenience store.

Thankfully after about a year of that they started carrying them at a Texaco on 610 North.

Yesterday some people said that Fritos are still made in Houston. Does that plant also make Lay's Potato Chips? Are there other snack making plants in Houston?

Fritos are like Budweiser and Coke, they are national brands, but are made all over the county. It's cheaper to produce it close to the point-of-sale than to ship it all over the country from one source. I don't know where it is, but Houston being the 4th largest city, there's for sure a Frito-Lay plant nearby.

Now you've prodded my memory again!  I completely forgot about Dentler's.  Now I remember them just like it was yesterday.

I've always associated Lance and Tom's with vending machines.

Many convenience stores carry the fine Lance family of snack foods at like 3/$1.00. I especially love the fig cakes.

• 3 months later...
Oh, go for it. Life is too short not to live it up. B)

Have you ever eaten any pumpkin seeds? One time at H.E.B. Pantry, I bought a can of octopus. I changed my mind about trying to eat it, so I gave it to my cat. He drank up the liquid, but he didn't want any part of that octopus.

Have you ever eaten any pumpkin seeds? One time at H.E.B. Pantry, I bought a can of octopus. I changed my mind about trying to eat it, so I gave it to my cat. He drank up the liquid, but he didn't want any part of that octopus.

I have to give you credit for even thinking of trying octopus in a can... and even more credit for opening the can....... Yuck!

I ate octopus one time in Mexico at some fancy restaurant. It was in some kind of stew. I wanted to try new things. I can still see those suction things on the underneath and makes me sick just remembering that I tried it.

Ok...way off topic....sorry.

Pumpkin seeds are a far cry from Octopus in a friggin can. That octopus part is a joke, right ? That's a good one. Anywho, i don't think you'll have any long term affects from eating a few pumpkin seeds, and the worst that will come out of it is that you lost $.79, go splurge a little and get you some pumpkin seeds, maybe you could work your way up, try some sunflower seeds first, and see how that goes. "Octopus in a Can" !

Bleh !!! :wacko::wacko:

Pumpkin seeds are a far cry from Octopus in a friggin can. That octopus part is a joke, right ? That's a good one. Anywho, i don't think you'll have any long term affects from eating a few pumpkin seeds, and the worst that will come out of it is that you lost $.79, go splurge a little and get you some pumpkin seeds, maybe you could work your way up, try some sunflower seeds first, and see how that goes. "Octopus in a Can" !

Bleh !!! :wacko::wacko:

Yes, one day when I was in H.E.B. Pantry I bought a can of octopus and a can of squid. When I opened them up, I changed my mind about trying them, so I emptied them into my cat's bowl. He drank the liquid of both of them, both he didn't want any part of the substance. He wasn't a stupid cat, after all.

the other day i was in san antonio, and i noticed that next to the Tom's snacks in a vending machine, there was a "Senor Tom's" frito knock-off

Senor Tom's, however, is apparently not associated with Tom's...

okay, sorry...just trying to reel this thread back on topic - well, at least away from octopi... :unsure: bleh

the other day i was in san antonio, and i noticed that next to the Tom's snacks in a vending machine, there was a "Senor Tom's" frito knock-off

Senor Tom's, however, is apparently not associated with Tom's...

okay, sorry...just trying to reel this thread back on topic - well, at least away from octopi... :unsure: bleh

Hey, you never know. Tom's and/or Lance's might start making octopus in a plastic bag for sale on the counter at your local convenience store.

Senor Tom's reminds me of the Frito Bandito "I yie yie yie"

Thought I would help sevfiv talk about snacks and not 50,000 leagues under the sea. :)

Some good ol' Bugles corn chips. YUM ! But, Munchos, and Kettle Chip brand, are without a doubt, the 2 best chips ever conceived in a lab. :wub::P

mmm!

bugles are good because of the coconut oil (it'll kill ya though)...

munchos are good because of the massive amounts of salt :D

Dentler Maid - best potato chips ever. I ate nothing else as a child. They were absorbed by Lay's.

I think they were actually made in Conroe or Humble; the son of the couple who founded the company, George Dentler, had Dentler's Pier 21, a good seafood restaurant on Fannin at Braeswood that was in biz up until the mid-70s or so. I understand he later managed Magic Island.

Dentler_Maid.jpg

• 1 year later...
Nowaways the Frito Bandito would be looked at as either racist or politically incorrect.

1frito2.jpg

Ole' Baby !!!

illust.jpg

Tom's answer to the Frito Bandito.

cheetos.jpg

Lay's answer to the new law passed, where CARTOON characters can't be used in advertising anymore. This is Chester Cheetah's replacement.

Archived