Jump to content
HAIF - Houston's original social media

The Joy School Expansion


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

And here is the fencing, 216 to 240 Portland. Looks more likely to keep the vagrants out than for construction. This topic was started in 2015.

R7CtpSu.jpg

LIzregA.jpg

 

Anyone know what's going up across the street?

PPl1RkI.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toopicky said:

HNathoo, I hope so, but the sign on the opening post suggested otherwise. The upscale townhouses across the street haven't been selling well, but another lot next to them has seen recent demo (last picture above) that the school would not want (although the Pres. Church might as itis adjacent to their "Operation ID" building. ) Today,  it appeared that crews were out on Portland to cut of the electricity  to the newly fenced apartments.... soon to be demoed?  Note, the fencing style is the same as in the last pic above.

 

As of April-2019, Joy Development School is the owner of the lot

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Toopicky said:

HNathoo, I hope so, but the sign on the opening post suggested otherwise. The upscale townhouses across the street haven't been selling well, but another lot next to them has seen recent demo (last picture above) that the school would not want (although the Pres. Church might as itis adjacent to their "Operation ID" building. ) Today,  it appeared that crews were out on Portland to cut of the electricity  to the newly fenced apartments.... soon to be demoed?  Note, the fencing style is the same as in the last pic above.

 

I wonder why they're not selling well. That little pocket is very charming IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

 

I wonder why they're not selling well. That little pocket is very charming IMO.

 

I was gonna say something similar after Urbannizer posted that image. That part of MD is very Montrose: townhouses, a giant apartment/condo place, the school, traditional houses, and old places that serve as apartments, and those old school retail places. When the former Chelsea market gets its shit together, its gonna be, as the kids say, 100. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, X.R. said:

 

I was gonna say something similar after Urbannizer posted that image. That part of MD is very Montrose: townhouses, a giant apartment/condo place, the school, traditional houses, and old places that serve as apartments, and those old school retail places. When the former Chelsea market gets its shit together, its gonna be, as the kids say, 100. 

 

You’re right, it is very “Montrose”

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

 

11 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

Hmmmm .... a bit disappointing that the new perspective has the new row of townhouses so close to the street.  It will make the whole street seem a bit crowded in for the area ad (IMO) less desirable.

 

Townhouses are no longer planned here. As mentioned by @HNathoo, it's for the school to expand.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Urbannizer said:

 

 

Townhouses are no longer planned here. As mentioned by @HNathoo, it's for the school to expand.

 

You mean The Joy School? Was going to ask if we should move this to the Museum District Subforum because its just townhomes, but I guess we should leave it here for an announcement? We normally don't leave schools on going up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For $40,000 per academic year it should be a gold plated building.

 

From Community Impact Newspaper I get every month.

 

The Joy School

Grades served: Kindergarten to eighth grade

Application deadline: Rolling basis

Enrollment: 150

Tuition per academic year: $40,000

Special programs/extracurriculars: Caters to learning differences and learning disabilities

1 Chelsea Blvd., Houston

713-523-0660

www.thejoyschool.org

 

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/education/2019/11/16/houston-private-school-guide-2019-prek-12-schools-tuition-enrollment-deadlines/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Community_Impact_Heights_%2F_River_Oaks_%2F_Montrose&fbclid=IwAR2PusSMderHy5yBn8Lg9hb_x6Oz7fFIZP9QZUcHglm2FoyzgrbwwYF5a1A

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hindesky said:

For $40,000 per academic year it should be a gold plated building.

 

From Community Impact Newspaper I get every month.

 

The Joy School

Grades served: Kindergarten to eighth grade

Application deadline: Rolling basis

Enrollment: 150

Tuition per academic year: $40,000

Special programs/extracurriculars: Caters to learning differences and learning disabilities

1 Chelsea Blvd., Houston

713-523-0660

www.thejoyschool.org

 

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/education/2019/11/16/houston-private-school-guide-2019-prek-12-schools-tuition-enrollment-deadlines/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Community_Impact_Heights_%2F_River_Oaks_%2F_Montrose&fbclid=IwAR2PusSMderHy5yBn8Lg9hb_x6Oz7fFIZP9QZUcHglm2FoyzgrbwwYF5a1A

I've known a couple of kids who went there, and it was worth every penny for them and their parents, who were fortunate enough to have the wealth to pay the bill. Top notch education for kids with a variety of learning issues.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Checked the Harris County tax role plats where the classic Portland apartments once stood, and they  have indeed been replanted into townhouse sized lots .... it looks like the original "Museum Estates on Portland" concept is back on (perhaps by a new developer).  The Joy School is NOT EXPANDING

 

 

Capture.GIF.d60db7e17a4009f87966fb942e261fc2.GIF


I think the original developer replatted this into a townhome development, then abandoned their plans and sold to the joy school, whom has yet to replat this back to a commercial reserve. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toopicky said:

 

How do you explain the school installing new address posts (pictured in post above) that appeared over the weekend? There are a multiple of them all along the north side of the street (more than the previous 4 addresses of the apartment buildings). Also consider that a townhouse is being built on the other Joy School lot at 205(ish) Portland just down the street.


The addresses probably have something to do with a possible replat. The property across the street doesn’t really have anything to do with them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

 

.... but it does provide evidence that the owners of the Joy School are into building townhouses. 

Besides, a replat doesn't need physical addresses posted on the street, although addresses would be helpful in efficiently delivering supplies to a larger construction site.


I guess we’ll have to wait and see. My gut tells me the joy school isn’t in the business of building townhomes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On a related note, what’s the story with the abandoned house caddy corner from this development at 120 Portland St? It’s in ROUGH shape and has been for a while. I was driving down that street last night and I’m pretty sure squatters live there since I saw one laying out on the stoop.

 

I believe it used to be a restaurant back in the 70s/80s.

 

EDIT: Oh wow, I just read this on the Wikipedia page for none other than Joseph Finger:

On 6 February 1953, a month short of his 66th birthday, Finger died at his home at 120 Portland Street.”

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Toopicky said:

 

How do you explain the school installing new address posts (pictured in post above) that appeared over the weekend? There are a multiple of them all along the north side of the street (more than the previous 4 addresses of the apartment buildings). Also consider that a townhouse is being built on the other Joy School lot at 205(ish) Portland just down the street.

 

There are 8 of the little address stakes, indicating 5 addresses:  216, 220 (2 stakes), 234, 238 (2 stakes), and 242 (2 stakes) Portland.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

On a related note, what’s the story with the abandoned house caddy corner from this development at 120 Portland St? It’s in ROUGH shape and has been for a while. I was driving down that street last night and I’m pretty sure squatters live there since I saw one laying out on the stoop.

 

I believe it used to be a restaurant back in the 70s/80s.

 

EDIT: Oh wow, I just read this on the Wikipedia page for none other than Joseph Finger:

On 6 February 1953, a month short of his 66th birthday, Finger died at his home at 120 Portland Street.”

From the Clerk's site, it was sold to Joe E Lee in 1968 by Gertrude Levy Finger, then in 1973 to a married couple, then transferred to the current owner after, presumably, a divorce in 1979. There have been a couple of City notices about the condition of the property.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ross said:

From the Clerk's site, it was sold to Joe E Lee in 1968 by Gertrude Levy Finger, then in 1973 to a married couple, then transferred to the current owner after, presumably, a divorce in 1979. There have been a couple of City notices about the condition of the property.


what website did you find that? I just see one name on HCAD’s site.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, clutchcity94 said:


what website did you find that? I just see one name on HCAD’s site.

Harris County Clerk Real Property Records. Search for the current owner as the grantee, then go backwards. It's not always obvious what terms to use, as the spellings are sometimes off, or change from buying to selling.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/18/2019 at 11:56 AM, clutchcity94 said:

On a related note, what’s the story with the abandoned house caddy corner from this development at 120 Portland St? It’s in ROUGH shape and has been for a while. I was driving down that street last night and I’m pretty sure squatters live there since I saw one laying out on the stoop.

 

I believe it used to be a restaurant back in the 70s/80s.

 

EDIT: Oh wow, I just read this on the Wikipedia page for none other than Joseph Finger:

On 6 February 1953, a month short of his 66th birthday, Finger died at his home at 120 Portland Street.”

Well it just caught on fire 

52438BDE-8B18-4F6B-A520-84C2C3864902.jpeg

BF3C7228-0E4C-40A8-BE21-A002B761740D.jpeg

.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of people on reddit/houston posted stuff on the fire.

 

u/EOTGisUngiven posted the fire from what looks like the Carter, notice the Joy School.

r6IJlLb.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

u/EpicLopez rode their bike nearby and took some pics.

HFERYNg.jpg

nnTv65G.jpg

w3kXyax.jpg

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hindesky said:

A couple of people on reddit/houston posted stuff on the fire.

 

u/EOTGisUngiven posted the fire from what looks like the Carter, notice the Joy School.

r6IJlLb.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

u/EpicLopez rode their bike nearby and took some pics.

HFERYNg.jpg

nnTv65G.jpg

w3kXyax.jpg

That’s such a shame. It was quite an elegant structure, even though it suffered from significant deferred maintenance.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...