HoustonMidtown

The Joy School Expansion

Portland and Milam, for anyone else who forgot where the The Carter is.

• Like 2

And here is the fencing, 216 to 240 Portland. Looks more likely to keep the vagrants out than for construction. This topic was started in 2015.

R7CtpSu.jpg

LIzregA.jpg

Anyone know what's going up across the street?

PPl1RkI.jpg

• Like 6

I believe the school behind this purchased these lots for expansion. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

HNathoo, I hope so, but the sign on the opening post suggested otherwise. The upscale townhouses across the street haven't been selling well, but another lot next to them has seen recent demo (last picture above) that the school would not want (although the Pres. Church might as itis adjacent to their "Operation ID" building. ) Today,  it appeared that crews were out on Portland to cut of the electricity  to the newly fenced apartments.... soon to be demoed?  Note, the fencing style is the same as in the last pic above.

Edited by Toopicky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toopicky said:

HNathoo, I hope so, but the sign on the opening post suggested otherwise. The upscale townhouses across the street haven't been selling well, but another lot next to them has seen recent demo (last picture above) that the school would not want (although the Pres. Church might as itis adjacent to their "Operation ID" building. ) Today,  it appeared that crews were out on Portland to cut of the electricity  to the newly fenced apartments.... soon to be demoed?  Note, the fencing style is the same as in the last pic above.

As of April-2019, Joy Development School is the owner of the lot

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 2:13 PM, hindesky said:

Anyone know what's going up across the street?

PPl1RkI.jpg

• Like 8

20 hours ago, HNathoo said:

As of April-2019, Joy Development School is the owner of the lot

Thanks for the update

22 hours ago, Toopicky said:

I wonder why they're not selling well. That little pocket is very charming IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

I wonder why they're not selling well. That little pocket is very charming IMO.

I was gonna say something similar after Urbannizer posted that image. That part of MD is very Montrose: townhouses, a giant apartment/condo place, the school, traditional houses, and old places that serve as apartments, and those old school retail places. When the former Chelsea market gets its shit together, its gonna be, as the kids say, 100. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, X.R. said:

I was gonna say something similar after Urbannizer posted that image. That part of MD is very Montrose: townhouses, a giant apartment/condo place, the school, traditional houses, and old places that serve as apartments, and those old school retail places. When the former Chelsea market gets its shit together, its gonna be, as the kids say, 100. 

You’re right, it is very “Montrose”

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 1

I used to live in one of those apartments, but the one that was off of Montrose. They demolished for the high rise that's there now. Such a nice old school place! Oh and it was definitely haunted.

• Like 6

A different rendering perspective than the one on the sign, found on Manzel Homes web site. The Museum Tower sure has an ugly back wall. Too bad they don't find a way to screen it.803436158_museumdistrict.jpeg.6e68a604b206d6910ca8b8f5ea6b7f99.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Darb64 said:

A different rendering perspective than the one on the sign, found on Manzel Homes web site. The Museum Tower sure has an ugly back wall. Too bad they don't find a way to screen it.803436158_museumdistrict.jpeg.6e68a604b206d6910ca8b8f5ea6b7f99.jpeg

Ivy will do the trick.

• Like 3

Hmmmm .... a bit disappointing that the new perspective has the new row of townhouses so close to the street.  It will make the whole street seem a bit crowded in for the area ad (IMO) less desirable.

Edited by Toopicky

11 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

Hmmmm .... a bit disappointing that the new perspective has the new row of townhouses so close to the street.  It will make the whole street seem a bit crowded in for the area ad (IMO) less desirable.

Townhouses are no longer planned here. As mentioned by @HNathoo, it's for the school to expand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Urbannizer said:

Townhouses are no longer planned here. As mentioned by @HNathoo, it's for the school to expand.

You mean The Joy School? Was going to ask if we should move this to the Museum District Subforum because its just townhomes, but I guess we should leave it here for an announcement? We normally don't leave schools on going up.

1 hour ago, Urbannizer said:

Confirmed .... it's owned by The Joy School.

I wonder why it still appears on the  Manzel Homes website? (tsk tsk)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Toopicky said:

Confirmed .... it's owned by The Joy School.

I wonder why it still appears on the  Manzel Homes website? (tsk tsk)

I'd forgotten about that post.  For what it's worth, the rendering was also on HAR.

Demo has begun but one building seems to either being spared or they simply haven't gotten to it yet.

tWtUYqK.jpg

1fhGiDu.jpg

LFxfuXJ.jpg

• Like 3

They removed some of the brick on the eastern building but most of the rest has been hauled away.

0S7D949.jpg

• Like 1