• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Toopicky said:

HNathoo, I hope so, but the sign on the opening post suggested otherwise. The upscale townhouses across the street haven't been selling well, but another lot next to them has seen recent demo (last picture above) that the school would not want (although the Pres. Church might as itis adjacent to their "Operation ID" building. ) Today,  it appeared that crews were out on Portland to cut of the electricity  to the newly fenced apartments.... soon to be demoed?  Note, the fencing style is the same as in the last pic above.

As of April-2019, Joy Development School is the owner of the lot

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Toopicky said:

HNathoo, I hope so, but the sign on the opening post suggested otherwise. The upscale townhouses across the street haven't been selling well, but another lot next to them has seen recent demo (last picture above) that the school would not want (although the Pres. Church might as itis adjacent to their "Operation ID" building. ) Today,  it appeared that crews were out on Portland to cut of the electricity  to the newly fenced apartments.... soon to be demoed?  Note, the fencing style is the same as in the last pic above.

I wonder why they're not selling well. That little pocket is very charming IMO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

I wonder why they're not selling well. That little pocket is very charming IMO.

I was gonna say something similar after Urbannizer posted that image. That part of MD is very Montrose: townhouses, a giant apartment/condo place, the school, traditional houses, and old places that serve as apartments, and those old school retail places. When the former Chelsea market gets its shit together, its gonna be, as the kids say, 100. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, X.R. said:

I was gonna say something similar after Urbannizer posted that image. That part of MD is very Montrose: townhouses, a giant apartment/condo place, the school, traditional houses, and old places that serve as apartments, and those old school retail places. When the former Chelsea market gets its shit together, its gonna be, as the kids say, 100. 

You’re right, it is very “Montrose”

Edited by clutchcity94
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

11 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

Hmmmm .... a bit disappointing that the new perspective has the new row of townhouses so close to the street.  It will make the whole street seem a bit crowded in for the area ad (IMO) less desirable.

Townhouses are no longer planned here. As mentioned by @HNathoo, it's for the school to expand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Urbannizer said:

Townhouses are no longer planned here. As mentioned by @HNathoo, it's for the school to expand.

You mean The Joy School? Was going to ask if we should move this to the Museum District Subforum because its just townhomes, but I guess we should leave it here for an announcement? We normally don't leave schools on going up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For $40,000 per academic year it should be a gold plated building.

From Community Impact Newspaper I get every month.

The Joy School

Grades served: Kindergarten to eighth grade

Application deadline: Rolling basis

Enrollment: 150

Tuition per academic year: $40,000

Special programs/extracurriculars: Caters to learning differences and learning disabilities

1 Chelsea Blvd., Houston

713-523-0660

www.thejoyschool.org

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/education/2019/11/16/houston-private-school-guide-2019-prek-12-schools-tuition-enrollment-deadlines/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Community_Impact_Heights_%2F_River_Oaks_%2F_Montrose&fbclid=IwAR2PusSMderHy5yBn8Lg9hb_x6Oz7fFIZP9QZUcHglm2FoyzgrbwwYF5a1A

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

For $40,000 per academic year it should be a gold plated building.

From Community Impact Newspaper I get every month.

The Joy School

Grades served: Kindergarten to eighth grade

Application deadline: Rolling basis

Enrollment: 150

Tuition per academic year: $40,000

Special programs/extracurriculars: Caters to learning differences and learning disabilities

1 Chelsea Blvd., Houston

713-523-0660

www.thejoyschool.org

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/education/2019/11/16/houston-private-school-guide-2019-prek-12-schools-tuition-enrollment-deadlines/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Community_Impact_Heights_%2F_River_Oaks_%2F_Montrose&fbclid=IwAR2PusSMderHy5yBn8Lg9hb_x6Oz7fFIZP9QZUcHglm2FoyzgrbwwYF5a1A

I've known a couple of kids who went there, and it was worth every penny for them and their parents, who were fortunate enough to have the wealth to pay the bill. Top notch education for kids with a variety of learning issues.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

Checked the Harris County tax role plats where the classic Portland apartments once stood, and they  have indeed been replanted into townhouse sized lots .... it looks like the original "Museum Estates on Portland" concept is back on (perhaps by a new developer).  The Joy School is NOT EXPANDING

Capture.GIF.d60db7e17a4009f87966fb942e261fc2.GIF

I think the original developer replatted this into a townhome development, then abandoned their plans and sold to the joy school, whom has yet to replat this back to a commercial reserve. 

1 hour ago, Toopicky said:

How do you explain the school installing new address posts (pictured in post above) that appeared over the weekend? There are a multiple of them all along the north side of the street (more than the previous 4 addresses of the apartment buildings). Also consider that a townhouse is being built on the other Joy School lot at 205(ish) Portland just down the street.

The addresses probably have something to do with a possible replat. The property across the street doesn’t really have anything to do with them. 

3 minutes ago, Toopicky said:

.... but it does provide evidence that the owners of the Joy School are into building townhouses. 

Besides, a replat doesn't need physical addresses posted on the street, although addresses would be helpful in efficiently delivering supplies to a larger construction site.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see. My gut tells me the joy school isn’t in the business of building townhomes.