Frito-Lay Plant At 6601 Stillwell St.

Ashikaga

Speaking of old signs anyone remember the Markle Steel sign when it used to light up.

joe

I remember Markel sign, just cant remember where it was?

and someone mentioned the old GIANT Coca-Cola sign @ Telephone/45S. I have it one 88mm film just before they unplugged it. It was real "Las Vegas Like" all glittery/sparkling too cool!

Was kind like this....Look everybody....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pbo31/sets/72057594059509636/

Yes, that was a big sign. Certain products, I believe, don't need to advertised because they're well entrenched. For example, Coca-Cola is the king of soft drinks. Budweiser is the king of beers. Both of them will always be at the top. During the Super Bowl, I didn't understand why they felt the need to spend all of those big bucks for commercials. But who am I? I didn't major in any field of business.

Markle Steel is still there. It is on the right as you drive into downtown coming from the south on I45. It is a big tin building with a painting of a guy in a hardhat standing on a steel beam being hauled up by a crane. Up until about the late 70s the painting was outlined in neon. And when it was lit up the guys arm would move up and down as if to signal the crane operator to haul him up.

I had forgotten about the AB eagle flapping its wings.

joe

Markle Steel is still there. It is on the right as you drive into downtown coming from the south on I45. It is a big tin building with a painting of a guy in a hardhat standing on a steel beam being hauled up by a crane. Up until about the late 70s the painting was outlined in neon. And when it was lit up the guys arm would move up and down as if to signal the crane operator to haul him up.

I had forgotten about the AB eagle flapping its wings.

joe

are you sure markle steel is still there? i think the building was leveled a couple of years back for new homes.

are you sure markle steel is still there? i think the building was leveled a couple of years back for new homes.

It may have been leveled its been a couple of years since I paid much attention to the area around there. I know it was there not long ago. Thats one of those intersections where you have to pay attention to the road. In the old days that I45/I59 intersection was the original spagetti bowl as it was called.

joe

Markel Steel has been gone for a while. Along that stretch of the Gulf Freeway as it enters downtown was the original Fingers Furniture store that became Star Furniture and Markel. They were leveled and they built homes on part of the site. Does anyone remember when Fingers was at that location prior to moving down to Cullen and 45? The old Colt 45 stadium was at the current Fingers location and when they moved out to the site of the Astrodome the old stadium was demolished and Fingers built there current store on the old site. The Colt 45's played in a stadium on the north side of the Astrodome parking lot until they completed the Astrodome and then moved indoors and became the Astros. In the basement of the Fingers store in their snack bar area is a Houston Sports Museum and the location of the old home plate from the Colt 45 stadium. The mark it on the floor with terazo tile laid in the shape of a home plate.

Markel Steel has been gone for a while. Along that stretch of the Gulf Freeway as it enters downtown was the original Fingers Furniture store that became Star Furniture and Markel. They were leveled and they built homes on part of the site. Does anyone remember when Fingers was at that location prior to moving down to Cullen and 45? The old Colt 45 stadium was at the current Fingers location and when they moved out to the site of the Astrodome the old stadium was demolished and Fingers built there current store on the old site. The Colt 45's played in a stadium on the north side of the Astrodome parking lot until they completed the Astrodome and then moved indoors and became the Astros. In the basement of the Fingers store in their snack bar area is a Houston Sports Museum and the location of the old home plate from the Colt 45 stadium. The mark it on the floor with terazo tile laid in the shape of a home plate.

I thought they were the Houston Buffalos until they moved to the Fannin location and became the Colt 45s. Or is my time line wrong?

joe

The old Colt 45 stadium was at the current Fingers location and when they moved out to the site of the Astrodome the old stadium was demolished and Fingers built there current store on the old site. The Colt 45's played in a stadium on the north side of the Astrodome parking lot until they completed the Astrodome and then moved indoors and became the Astros.

That's not quite right. The Houston Colt 45s never played at the Finger Furniture site. The minor league Houston Buffs played there in Buff Stadium from the 1920s or so until the team dissolved when the city got major league baseball in 1962. Not sure at the moment when the last Buffs season was (maybe 1960?), but I'm sure someone around here knows.

When the Colt 45s started in 1962, they did indeed play in a stadium on the north side of the current Astrodome. It was never meant as a permanent structure and was only erected for use until the team built a larger, more permanent home. The adandoned Colt Stadium remained intact, surrounded by the Astrodome parking lot until around 1973 or 1974. I remember seeing it the first time I ever went to an Astros game in 1972. It was gone by the timee I went to another game in 1975. At first I thought I had simply imagined it (as I was only a six year old in 1972) until I read a story in the Chronicle years later that revealed the ultimate fate of the stadium. It was dismantled and moved to Mexico and I believe is still in use today. I can't remember the name of t he town in ended up in.

That's not quite right. The Houston Colt 45s never played at the Finger Furniture site. The minor league Houston Buffs played there in Buff Stadium from the 1920s or so until the team dissolved when the city got major league baseball in 1962. Not sure at the moment when the last Buffs season was (maybe 1960?), but I'm sure someone around here knows.

When the Colt 45s started in 1962, they did indeed play in a stadium on the north side of the current Astrodome. It was never meant as a permanent structure and was only erected for use until the team built a larger, more permanent home. The adandoned Colt Stadium remained intact, surrounded by the Astrodome parking lot until around 1973 or 1974. I remember seeing it the first time I ever went to an Astros game in 1972. It was gone by the timee I went to another game in 1975. At first I thought I had simply imagined it (as I was only a six year old in 1972) until I read a story in the Chronicle years later that revealed the ultimate fate of the stadium. It was dismantled and moved to Mexico and I believe is still in use today. I can't remember the name of t he town in ended up in.

If you can find a copy of the book "A Six-Gun Salute", there are a lot of photos of Colt Stadium, including a few after the stadium was closed.

• 2 months later...

Yup. Markle is gone. In it's place are some new low-income homes.

Does anyone remember the Borden plant on Waugh Dr. near Allen Parkway? I remember touring the place as part of a school field trip. Also remember touring the Coca-Cola plant that used to be on Bissonet between Kirby and Wesleyan. That place smelled strongly of Sprite on the inside.

I remember the Frito plant on 45 south...and the huge neon sign. Also remember the big neon Coca Cola sign on 45 not far from it. The frame for the neon sign is still there and was converted to a billboard long ago.

Yup. Markle is gone. In it's place are some new low-income homes.

Does anyone remember the Borden plant on Waugh Dr. near Allen Parkway? I remember touring the place as part of a school field trip. Also remember touring the Coca-Cola plant that used to be on Bissonet between Kirby and Wesleyan. That place smelled strongly of Sprite on the inside.

I remember the Frito plant on 45 south...and the huge neon sign. Also remember the big neon Coca Cola sign on 45 not far from it. The frame for the neon sign is still there and was converted to a billboard long ago.

All three of those places in the same general area seem to ring a bell for me. I remember a big neon Fritos sign, and a big Elsie the Cow Borden sign (it think it was neon). I also think that I remember the Coca Cola sign that you're referring to. A NABISCO sign is coming into my mind. Was/is there a NABISCO plant in that general area, too?

All three of those places in the same general area seem to ring a bell for me. I remember a big neon Fritos sign, and a big Elsie the Cow Borden sign (it think it was neon). I also think that I remember the Coca Cola sign that you're referring to. A NABISCO sign is coming into my mind. Was/is there a NABISCO plant in that general area, too?

Nabisco was over on Almeda Road over near the Zoo/Medical Center. For some reason, I remember the plant, but not the sign...maybe it wasn't there anymore by the mid to late 60's? I do remember the water tower with the Nabisco logo on it. The building and the tower are still there, but as someone else pointed out -- the VA hospital is using it now. The Elsie sounds vaguely familiar. That Coca Cola sign was huge. You couldn't miss that thing! lol

Do you remember the giant Holder's Pest Control Roach over off 59 South?

Nabisco was over on Almeda Road over near the Zoo/Medical Center. For some reason, I remember the plant, but not the sign...maybe it wasn't there anymore by the mid to late 60's? I do remember the water tower with the Nabisco logo on it. The building and the tower are still there, but as someone else pointed out -- the VA hospital is using it now. The Elsie sounds vaguely familiar. That Coca Cola sign was huge. You couldn't miss that thing! lol

Do you remember the giant Holder's Pest Control Roach over off 59 South?

No, Holder's doesn't ring a bell. Was it a picture of a roach?

Another big neon sign is coming back into my head. I think we were going westbound on IH-610 from Gulfgate. Is my memory correct when it sees a big LEVITZ furniture store sign?

Another big neon sign is coming back into my head. I think we were going westbound on IH-610 from Gulfgate. Is my memory correct when it sees a big LEVITZ furniture store sign?

Not sure, but there was a Levitz store with a big sign on the Katy Freeway near what is now the Beltway.

Your memory is indeed correct. And in the same general area were Crossroads Furniture and Kennedy & Cohen.

I miss that Holder's Pest Control sign. I hate roaches, but I loved seeing that sign on the Southwest Freeway at night.

Now thats a real Houston Icon like someone stated earlier in other topic!

Our new mascot?

It was a giant brown cockroach with the word's Holder's Pest Control painted on the body of the roach. If I remember correctly, it lit up at night...

Yes, and his name was Bubba. Bubba the neon roach. I've been suggesting that as the perfect Houston icon on this board for years, but there hasn't exactly been a bandwagon of enthusiasm for the concept. Can't think why. ^_^

Yes, and his name was Bubba. Bubba the neon roach. I've been suggesting that as the perfect Houston icon on this board for years, but there hasn't exactly been a bandwagon of enthusiasm for the concept. Can't think why. ^_^

HAHAHHA!!! Oh man...I am laughing tears here! :lol:

One, I never knew it had a name and, Two, the idea of that being the Houston mascot is hilarious! :lol:

HAHAHHA!!! Oh man...I am laughing tears here! :lol:

One, I never knew it had a name and, Two, the idea of that being the Houston mascot is hilarious! :lol:

But it makes sense, doesn't it? I'm serious. Just replace the "L-D-E-R-S" with "U-S-T-O-N" and he would be better to go. It certainly would be more unique than some space needle or something.

But it makes sense, doesn't it? I'm serious. Just replace the "L-D-E-R-S" with "U-S-T-O-N" and he would be better to go. It certainly would be more unique than some space needle or something.

Yeah, that's true...lol

Seeing as they tore our space needle down...we don't quite have that option anymore anyway...ugh...

Plus, Houston is kind of known for it's huge cockroaches.

Yeah, that's true...lol

Seeing as they tore our space needle down...we don't quite have that option anymore anyway...ugh...

Exactly. And the neon gives it the glitzy touch. If that doesn't perfectly capture Houston, I don't know what does.

Exactly. And the neon gives it the glitzy touch. If that doesn't perfectly capture Houston, I don't know what does.

I'd like to have a t-shirt with a modified version of the old "Houston Proud" logo incorporating a picture of Bubba. :)

houproud2.gif

Yeah, that's true...lol

Paul Harvey on the radio news said that cockroaches were the only living things that survived the Ice Age.

BWHAHAHAHA!!! I'd buy one!

How did Frito's become a cockroach? On another topic Subdude pointed out that a church became a whorehouse.

• The title was changed to Frito-Lay Plant At 6601 Stillwell St.

Archived