Sign in to follow this  
Slick Vik

Culberson and METRO reach compromise

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Transit-agency-powerful-critic-reach-compromise-6264614.php

Culberson announced he would seek to continue cutting off the Richmond money in the next federal funding bill, but he softened his stance by saying Metro could seek money for the lines if they receive local voter support in a new election.

Voters that live in the METRO service area.  So he is feeling the pressure!  We already voted on it.  What of waste money to revote. That is fine because it will pass no doubt about it.  How odd since the other 2 lines are getting ready to open.  I believe see has see all the development along the lines.

This is bizarre. Voters spoke a long time ago. What's the point of a revote? And who's to say that Culberson won't change his mind again and block funding later if he doesn't like the result of the vote? I think Culberson realizes it's almost impossible to get federal funding now so it doesn't matter what plans are made. And probably wants metro to spend hundreds of millions doing studies again. Or maybe be compromised to get the Missouri city rail built. Or maybe he just drove down Richmond.

Edited by Slick Vik
  • Like 3

In reality I think developers and the Feds probably put a lot of pressure on Culberson. Developers wanting to develop the Richmond corridor and Feds probably threatening to not give any more money in the future for Houston projects if Culberson didn't give in after all the effort that was done already with the university line.

Edited by Slick Vik
  • Like 1

Metro's proposal to Culbertson should be...

If you agree to get the F out of the way, we'll agree to not run you over with a bus.

Another election is a complete waste of money.

• Like 9

If METRO is smart, they'll put this on the 2016 general election ballot. If they're really smart, they'll throw in a second referendum for a heavy rail line  ;)

• Like 2

If METRO is smart, they'll put this on the 2016 general election ballot. If they're really smart, they'll throw in a second referendum for a heavy rail line  ;)

Right through Afton Oaks :P

• Like 1

I can just see it now. If you support Metro initiative to place a rail line down Richmond, vote "No". Just like the last Metro vote. :-(

• Like 3

I can just see it now. If you support Metro initiative to place a rail line down Richmond, vote "No". Just like the last Metro vote. :-(

Oh please you live in burbs which you cannot even vote.  What a waste of money to vote, but it will pass.  I live 2 miles from Downtown so I can ride the rail or the bus and we get there quicker then driving.  $1.50 each way hey!  There are three big parties in Midtown tonight.  I will use METRO of Uber.  Do you remember we had to revote the RED Line?  It now has 40,000 customers per day.  

• Like 1

If METRO is smart, they'll put this on the 2016 general election ballot. If they're really smart, they'll throw in a second referendum for a heavy rail line ;)

And if they're really REALLY smart, THIS time they will word the ballot the CORRECT WAY, to where voting "YES" actually means you are FOR the rail and voting "NO" actually means you are against.

Not like the last election where they bamboozled all the poor people with slick wording that was the reverse of what I just said.

• Like 1

HA, you beat me too it!

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Transit-agency-powerful-critic-reach-compromise-6264614.php

Culberson announced he would seek to continue cutting off the Richmond money in the next federal funding bill, but he softened his stance by saying Metro could seek money for the lines if they receive local voter support in a new election.

keep in mind, the Culberson funding block was also preventing federal dollars from funding the Post Oak LRT line. this potential revote could allow for the Uptown BRT line to be built out to LRT, as originally envisioned.

• Like 1

KittyCat - As usual, you missed the point/joke. Maybe you didn't vote for the last Metro Referendum.

This news a great...it's just a shame that we have to spend even more time and money. Culberson is now costing us even more money, when all he would have to do is NOT put a line into a bill. errrrr!

• Like 2

KittyCat - As usual, you missed the point/joke. Maybe you didn't vote for the last Metro Referendum.

This news a great...it's just a shame that we have to spend even more time and money. Culberson is now costing us even more money, when all he would have to do is NOT put a line into a bill. errrrr!

Phew, I thought you were talking to me. I had a response planned and everything (no that was not why the post was edited, it was to add the second line) Edited by IronTiger

Why is this buffoon still in office? Does he have ANY good points or leadership qualities?

I like that he supports NASA, but his blocking funds to Houston to divert then to other cities outweighs that.

Culberson. What a piece of work. Why can't folks just vote him out?

His district is designed to reliably elect him, or someone like him. Did he even have a challenger in the last election?

Unfortunately, with districts drawn to be safer and safer for one flavor or the other, the primary voters tend to skew more towards the lunatic fringe.

Still, I'm glad to see that for whatever reason, The Gentleman came around on this... even though it's going to require public vote number whatever on earth we're up to on this.

• Like 1

They should only let those who own property along the proposed lines vote. Problem solved.  ;)

• Like 1

This is good news, but unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that it is highly unlikely that the University Line makes any progress in the next decade at least. 

This is good news, but unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that it is highly unlikely that the University Line makes any progress in the next decade at least.

Why not?

They should only let those who own property along the proposed lines vote. Problem solved. ;)

As long as they aren't women..... or anything other than white. I mean, that's the way our founders envisioned it.

/troll

• Like 6

When Gerald Hines spoke to the realtors and persons in public office they really listened.  He said the Houston MSA needs a transportation plan or we will never be a global city.  Then for some reason things have changed.  He is a icon to Houston better listen and get things done!

• Like 3

Why not?

METRO just doesn't have enough money, the vote to continue the General Mobility payments that passed last election was a big blow to rail expansion in the near future.  

Oh please you live in burbs which you cannot even vote. What a waste of money to vote, but it will pass. I live 2 miles from Downtown so I can ride the rail or the bus and we get there quicker then driving. $1.50 each way hey! There are three big parties in Midtown tonight. I will use METRO of Uber. Do you remember we had to revote the RED Line? It now has 40,000 customers per day.

METRO just doesn't have enough money, the vote to continue the General Mobility payments that passed last election was a big blow to rail expansion in the near future.

But if voters approve the use of federal funds for this project, couldn't METRO do whatever it is they did toget the fed to pay for the Green (orPurple?) line?

If METRO gets a provision on the ballot, they would be wise to win the fight on how the proposal is worded on the ballot. I agree that their best bet would be to shoot for a measure on the 2016 November general election ballot. It will be a presidential election year, when turnout tends to be much higher. Harris County tends to vote bluer and, correspondingly, more pro-rail, in presidential election years (aside: this leads to great frustration for lawyers because we often lose a lot of good judges due to the change of the political winds).

• Like 1

But if voters approve the use of federal funds for this project, couldn't METRO do whatever it is they did toget the fed to pay for the Green (orPurple?) line?

The Feds only payed for half the cost of those lines, METRO still has to pay for the other half. 

There will be a massive anti-rail campaign whenever this thing eventually does come to a vote.  Just saying we aren't out of the woods yet, it is still more than likely that this line won't be built for quite some time. 

I thought one of those lines recieved federal funding (southeast line?), while Metro paid for the east end(?) line in full

I read somewhere that the agreement included building commuter rail on US 90 Alternate from Sugar Land to North East Houston. First time I had ever heard of that proposed route.

More details on this.

1. Culberson will try to get $300 million in federal funds for buses, park and ride shelters, and HOV lane maintenance/construction

2. Culberson says the 90 commuter rail is the first rail priority

3. Culberson will speed up legislative action making the metro board 11 members instead of 9, giving the counties a majority over the city

4. Culberson will try to get $587 million federal funds for 90a commuter line

I wonder about point 3. If the board changes before a vote for university line I wonder if it will ever go through.

dude. screw the 90A line.. thats an out for Culberson to seem like he cares about the people, but the ridership on that line would be pathetic. its hardly the "top priority" line in the entire Houston area.. id rather see rail to Galveston built before a freaking 90A line.

• Like 1

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall of whatever room the horse trading took place in.  

I have to wonder just what The Gentleman is getting (or believes he is getting) in return.  The optimist in me hopes that people with sacks of cash who listen to the likes of Gerald Hines finally came to the conclusion that sending money elsewhere was not a good idea, and raised the idea of perhaps backing someone more... amenable in The Gentleman's place.

• Like 2

He could've realized that the new TCR line would have the potential to act as a commuter line anyway, and that there was no way to avoid this issue any longer.

I actually think the 90A line is a good place to start. Sugar land/Missouri City/Richmond/Rosenberg/Alief commuters will use this. Freeing up traffic on 59(69) north in the morning and on 59(69) south in the evening. Relieving some pain around 610/Galleria and the downtown 45/59/288 merger during those same times as well.

Just my guess though. I'm just happy something within the commuter/mass transit arena is being done in Houston....finally.

• Like 1

I actually think the 90A line is a good place to start. Sugar land/Missouri City/Richmond/Rosenberg/Alief commuters will use this. Freeing up traffic on 59(69) north in the morning and on 59(69) south in the evening. Relieving some pain around 610/Galleria and the downtown 45/59/288 merger during those same times as well.

Just my guess though. I'm just happy something within the commuter/mass transit arena is being done in Houston....finally.

The 90A line is pointless unless it goes directly to Sugar Land, and doesn't stop short in Missouri City. At some point, if expansion is what's desired, you have to start looking at the constituencies served by the line - specifically the ones with enough disposable income to support political campaigns.

The fastest way to rail expansion in the rest of the area is to have doctors/attorneys/engineers talking about how great it is to be able to take the train in, and raising envy in their colleagues as it's not available to them.

Edited by ADCS

idk, IMO there are so many better routes to build out before 90A. even going all the way out to Sugar Land. didn't they do a study on the 90A line and determine the ridership would be somewhere in the 4 figure range?

ADCS, you want doctors talking about how great the train is? build rail from Pearland, along 288 to the TMC.

you want attorneys (ok, going out on a limb. not sure where most attorneys are so ill assume uptown) talking about how great the rail is? build the Westpark line..

you want engineers talking about how great the train is? build the i10 line they may or may not have structurally over-engineered the new highway overpasses for to handle the additional weight of trains(?).

but 90A? its a great way to get Sugar Land residents to NRG Park. beyond that, I'm not so sure..

my theory is that if they build the 90A line first and it turns out to have mediocre ridership like i thought the study said it would, people will point to it as "proof" that rail doesn't work in Houston and we won't get a shot at building the lines that we need.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1