SEARCH Homeless Services At 2015 Congress Ave.

Rather than post this is in every Midtown thread that mentions the homeless (there are a lot), I'm creating a new one for those who would like to surmise what will happen to SEARCH's existing building. I kinda feel bad for the EaDo neighborhood having to inherit this.

http://swamplot.com/search-homeless-services-will-be-moving-from-midtown-to-this-new-building-in-east-downtown/2015-05-14/

I am not a big fan of the existing building.

I am a preservation cheerleader, but if this one is slated for the wrecking ball, i would skip the protest.

Midtown is heading towards being downtowns largest neighborhood. I forsee a sea of apartment buildings from 69 to Brazos and museum district to pierce. I think it's going to get so populated that the area is going to be categorized into smaller areas like is done downtown. I see midtown going from 8000 people to 50,000 people in a few decades.

Anyway, I see this building being demolished swiftly for multi family development

I'm not familiar with the proposed reroute, but their new location is one block east of where I-69 runs.  And who knows if that will even happen,

Wouldn't this location be partially on the proposed path of TXDOT's I-45 re-routing?

I actually like the facade that faces Fannin, but that's about it.  I wasn't sure if it would be more cost-effective for a developer to renovate the building for office or tear it down and build something new like MF.  It seems to me like there is already a bunch of MF units coming online in the area.

I am not a big fan of the existing building.
I am a preservation cheerleader, but if this one is slated for the wrecking ball, i would skip the protest.

Midtown is heading towards being downtowns largest neighborhood. I forsee a sea of apartment buildings from 69 to Brazos and museum district to pierce. I think it's going to get so populated that the area is going to be categorized into smaller areas like is done downtown. I see midtown going from 8000 people to 50,000 people in a few decades.

Anyway, I see this building being demolished swiftly for multi family development

moving to this location won't hurt development in the east end. it's mostly tucked away between the freeway and a rail line, and where it is going there are so many homeless that hang around the soup kitchen that's already there, it can't make that specific area any less inviting than it already is to people who are scared of homeless.

• 5 months later...

5 GAME-CHANGING PROJECTS UNDERWAY IN HOUSTON

4. SEARCH Homeless Services

SEARCH Homeless Services’ new headquarters, designed by Studio Red, is under construction in east downtown. The two-story, 27k SF building will include a large lobby, waiting areas, offices, meeting rooms and supporting facilities. Since 1989 SEARCH has helped thousands of people transition from homelessness and this new HQ will extend the organization's influence and allow it to continue effectively reaching Houston’s homeless population.

https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/commercial-real-estate/5-game-changing-projects-underway-in-houston-52382?rt=title

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
41 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

What did we do to deserve such uniformly bad journalism?  They state that " Any building between the freeway and St. Emmanuel Street will be kaput . . . " as if it's a known fact.  It is not.  In fact, it seems pretty clear that the Cheek-Neal Building will survive and from the maps it appears that SEARCH's new headquarters (or at least the vast majority of it) should be able to survive as well.  There is at least some uncertainty.  From the sounds of the Houston Press story, you'd almost think SEARCH had already received their eviction notice.  Would it kill Meagan Flynn to take a careful look at the project map?

Oh, and by the way, relevant to this story (but unmentioned):  SEARCH constructed their building and moved in all after the general scope of the new freeway alignment was known. 

• The title was changed to SEARCH Homeless Services Moving To EaDo
  • The title was changed to SEARCH Homeless Services At 2015 Congress Ave.

Archived