Crescent Communities second multifamily project for Houston.

Crescent plans to start 10 new developments this year and 10 more next year for a total of 7,000 units and $1.4B of construction. That includes Crescent Northgate (rendered here), a 300-unit community underway near the Hardy Toll Road and Grand Parkway intersection close to Exxon’s campus. It’ll deliver in late 2016. Crescent also owns a site in the River Oaks District (at Westheimer and Willowick) that it’s holding for future development. Brian tells us about half of the upcoming projects are in Southwestern markets like Phoenix, Denver, Houston and Dallas that weren’t in vogue compared to primary markets when the firm started lining up sites five years ago.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/multifamily/big-change-crescent-communities-delves-into-multifamily-45856

• Like 1

I wonder if this refers to the Georgian Apartments. Those look ripe for redevelopment.

Are they referring to the area as River Oaks District becuause ROD is not on Willowick.

The "River Oaks" moniker continues its spread, similar to how everything north of I-10 and west of I-45 inside the Loop has become the "Heights."

• Like 2

I wonder if this refers to the Georgian Apartments. Those look ripe for redevelopment.

The "River Oaks" moniker continues its spread, similar to how everything north of I-10 and west of I-45 inside the Loop has become the "Heights."

Seems to be correct. The apartments are (or was) for sale.

http://swamplot.com/on-then-off-sale-of-the-georgian-apartments-near-highland-village-is-on-again-maybe/2015-01-26/

• Like 2

Any speculation on whether this might be rentals or condos? According to HCAD, the land the Georgian Apartments sit on is almost 150,000 square feet. This seems like a lot of land for a high-rise. Perhaps these will be town homes? 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/04/24/new-river-oaks-area-mixed-use-development-planned.html

A new retail and multifamily residential mixed-use project is coming to the River Oaks area. 

The project at 2511 Willowick Roadwill be off Westheimer and Willowick, east of Highland Village, where the independent senior living apartment community The Georgian currently is located.

North Carolina-based developer Crescent Communities stated through a spokesperson the company bought the property in 2015, but Harris County appraisal recordsshow the land was purchased in May 2014. In 2018, the property was appraised at $11.04 million.

Officials with Crescent Communities said they bought directly from the original developer of The Georgian, but declined to provide a name. Harris County records show Houston-based developers Swain & Houck listed as a prior owner. Charles Swain and Harvey Houck originally developed the Westcreek Apartments on Westheimer where the River Oaks District stands.

When complete, this new project slated for The Georgian will be less than a mile from the River Oaks District and a few blocks from Highland Village. 

In an emailed statement, Crescent wrote it bought the property “with the intention of redeveloping the site in the future, when the time was right.”

“We’ve now started the process to create a mixed use community that will be supportive of the surrounding neighborhood with the addition of walkable, lifestyle retail and restaurants, as well as new multifamily homes,” the statement read. 

Current residents received a notice that they must move out by Oct. 15, 2018, Swamplot reported. The letter stated that residents can get out of leases early and could get some financial assistance to move. 

“We recently shared this news with residents of The Georgian to give them significant notice and support in advance of the changes, but we are still early in the process and aren’t yet ready to share more details about the future development,” Crescent’s statement read. Currently, South Carolina-based firm Greystar manages the property.

• Like 3

On 4/20/2018 at 0:06 PM, ArtNsf said:

Thank God !  Those apts represent that "Georgian" look that really has no application here in the South/Southwest area.  This was a throwback to that same look in the NE and New England during pre-revolutionary times when colonists were making America in "their" own image from England.  So far removed from what Texas and Houston evolved from.  Out with the old and "off with their heads" I say LOL !

It has a mansard roof, so there seems to be some French influence.

• Like 1

Kind of odd to see seniors getting kicked out like in the movies. This is an interesting location. Across from a school and next to neighborhoods. It is close to the Central Market and those shopping areas over there but still feels like a addition that is off the main path. I drive by here daily for work so my little shortcut with less traffic will be lost.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, TexasGeneral said:

The rendering looks nice, but the inner loop needs these older more affordable apartment buildings IMO. Seems like they are all getting torn down for high priced luxury units. 

There is still plenty of older affordable housing inside the loop, just not in the rich areas. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...