Arabic Immersion Magnet School At 4001 Stanford St.

trymahjong

I've been attending those  Montrose (proposed) TIRZ meetings and one of the things that came up concerned the future of the old HSPVA building. So I wondered what everyone else thought.

Apparently the building sits on 2/3 of an acre and is in an Historic designation district sooooooooooooo that would certainly influence some possibilities.

Six years ago a principal at Lamar told me he thought HISD might develop a Culinary magnet school (HISD now offers College level classes at some campuses)  or just make it a 9th grade only building ( a bonus would be not many 9th graders drive cars to school so parking needs diminish) to ease over crowding at Lamar.

I want to hear other ideas?

hmmmmmmm   that Historic Designation is the lens through which any ideas for what it could become should be viewed from.

Personally--

I like the idea of a Culinary Magnet School-- sort of a dual credit thingy I'm guessing. So there could be

"gainful employment"  in a shorter time period?

• 3 years later...
8 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

What's replacing HSPVA's old location at 4001 Stanford in Montrose:

From Community Impact:

Houston ISD’s Arabic Immersion Magnet School will move to the former site of the Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, 4001 Stanford St., Houston, this August, the district confirmed in a statement to Community Impact Newspaper.

Thumbs up to HISD for repurposing the building as another magnet school and concurrently addressing the Arabic Immersion school's need for more space.

I expect that once the rednecks get wind of the move, they'll start referring to it as the "Montrose Madrassa". 

1 hour ago, mkultra25 said:

Thumbs up to HISD for repurposing the building as another magnet school and concurrently addressing the Arabic Immersion school's need for more space.

I expect that once the rednecks get wind of the move, they'll start referring to it as the "Montrose Madrassa". 

When the school opened on Durham and 28th, there were some idiots out protesting it, giving the little kids a hard time. When someone called out one protester for a really bad sign, one of the morons said "you can't criticize him, he's a veteran". Riiiiiight, being a veteran makes you perfect.

11 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Kudos to HISD for repurposing a building which also has architectural significance. I wonder how many intolerant people even know what a madrassa is. :( After all, ignorance is the mother of prejudice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 7:56 PM, mkultra25 said:

Won't be far from the truth, but to be fair, Montrose as a whole, has a really shaky identity at the moment. The Gay scene is spreading out, and so is the alternative crowd. These entities still exist, of course, and probably always will, but I think with this Immersion School, plus the prospects of the new Aga Kahn center, and all the sudden you joke, but its probably what part of its new identity will be. A lot of the places I frequent in Montrose I'm seeing a lot of affluent international types, and international students going to UH or Rice. Montrose's new identity might transform into one that is more affluent international focused, and this school revamp might be the beginning of that. 

On 6/4/2019 at 3:38 PM, Luminare said:

Won't be far from the truth, but to be fair, Montrose as a whole, has a really shaky identity at the moment. The Gay scene is spreading out, and so is the alternative crowd. These entities still exist, of course, and probably always will, but I think with this Immersion School, plus the prospects of the new Aga Kahn center, and all the sudden you joke, but its probably what part of its new identity will be. A lot of the places I frequent in Montrose I'm seeing a lot of affluent international types, and international students going to UH or Rice. Montrose's new identity might transform into one that is more affluent international focused, and this school revamp might be the beginning of that. 

Interesting perspective. So you think Montrose will be like the Westwood of LA?

On 6/4/2019 at 3:38 PM, Luminare said:

There are also a large number of international students at the University of St. Thomas.......

13 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Interesting perspective. So you think Montrose will be like the Westwood of LA?

hmm. Not familiar with Westwood. Care to elaborate?

From my own experiences when in Berlin, Germany, it could become like a Neukoeln. Neukoeln is basically the biggest nexus of international expats + international students going to university in the entire city, but with also a sharp turkish / middle eastern flavor that has become very interesting. Its a very lively place. Interesting enough the neighborhood that is right next to Neukoeln is Kreuzberg. A very "hipsterish", but the mainstream variety of hipster like people want to try hard to be hipster, plus a lot of what we would call yuppies, and lots of new millineal families. Its also more upscale with a lot of interesting bars and food. This is basically what The Heights is becoming. Both would be really cool transformations to see here in this city.

Just now, Earlydays said:

There are also a large number of international students at the University of St. Thomas.......

Definitely. I walk past the school many times every week and have noticed this as well. Didn't really think this was the case before I moved into the neighborhood. A lot of the coffee shops are this way as well. Coffee shops are always a good indicator of what a neighborhood is actually like since they, more often than not, cater to local crowds.

My wife and I have a lot of connections to this neighborhood. She went to grade school at the old Montrose School and we both were at the University of St. Thomas, classes of '68 and '69 and finally we lived at 719 W. Main in the early '70's before we moved away from Houston.

• The title was changed to Any Ideas For The Old HSPVA Building?
  • The title was changed to Arabic Immersion Magnet School At 4001 Stanford St.

Archived