I walked by the building earlier this morning and snapped a quick photo.

Saw the earlier photo from @Andrew Ewert, but it looks like the Houston Post letters were behind a facade and are now being removed? The “T” and “H” are gone, and it looks like they’re chiseling away at the “E.” 

If they are removing them instead of incorporating them into the design, that would be disappointing.

EF912986-4D46-4809-836B-358B50F1395E.jpeg

• Like 4

On 11/3/2020 at 1:13 PM, 77011transplant said:

Thanks! Folks on Nextdoor keep talking about Sprouts going in there, but I didn't think that was the case.

No surprise, but most of the folks on Nextdoor commenting on that post are horribly misinformed.

Fortunately, I saw that the HAIF link to this post was provided so they should be good!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I walked by the building earlier this morning and snapped a quick photo.

Saw the earlier photo from @Andrew Ewert, but it looks like the Houston Post letters were behind a facade and are now being removed? The “T” and “H” are gone, and it looks like they’re chiseling away at the “E.” 

If they are removing them instead of incorporating them into the design, that would be disappointing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chronicle wouldn't allow them to keep the sign intact once it was uncovered. Ever since they acquired the Post's assets, they've done their damnedest to erase the Post from the collective memory. 

• Like 3

On 11/11/2020 at 9:15 AM, cspwal said:

When I passed by this morning, it looked like some of the bricks might have been chipped at?  I don't know if twas already like that, or if they are going to remove those bricked up sections

There were some sections with bricks missing, and they've also knocked out a lot of holes for windows. Looks like they're well on their way now to getting the brickwork patched up as well as adding brand new brick wall sections along Emancipation. Starting to look good.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Mixed-Use Building at Polk & Dowling in East Downtown
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Mixed-Use Building At Polk & Dowling In East Downtown
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Those trees are going to be huge by the time they get done with this. 

One can hope. They ripped out a bunch of mature trees in more or less the same locations during construction. It will probably take 20 years at a minimum for these to get back to the size of the previous trees. 

7 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

One can hope. They ripped out a bunch of mature trees in more or less the same locations during construction. It will probably take 20 years at a minimum for these to get back to the size of the previous trees. 

Like he said... by the time they're done

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 8:59 PM, 77011transplant said:

Was a tenant/ tenants confirmed for this? 

It looks great!

There’s a permit for a drive thru pharmacy/retail which basically confirms CVS will hold the bottom floor location.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, hindesky said:

I saw an online permit for the demolition of the slab behind the old Sparkle Burger but its still there. The fact that they are going to remove it makes me think the apartments may be in the works.

yi3vGOQ.jpg

Even just cleaning up the site and making the block a temporary park would be a huge improvement.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 2:39 PM, ljchou said:

There’s a permit for a drive thru pharmacy/retail which basically confirms CVS will hold the bottom floor location.

Did some quick digging into the permit, the buyer address matches that of Genesis Design Group, Inc., whose portfolio includes the design of several CVS Pharmacy stores in Texas and Louisiana. 

• Like 1