Sampson Lofts: Residential At 810 Sampson St.

I have no idea, I can tell you it came down in about 3 days. One day they had fences up. The next day they had two machines to move stuff around and a line of 10 or so trucks staged to be filled with waste. The next day, half of the buildings were gone, the next day they were grading the ground.

I imagine if someone is planning on doing something neat with the land, they are going to wait and see how Sampson lofts do.

I'm pretty sure the Sampson lofts are considered by a bunch of developers to be the test the waters development, for large scale developers at least.

2 hours ago, phillip_white said:

I noticed someone demo-ed the whole block a couple streets away from the lofts.  Anyone know what's going in?

Untitled

I believe the signs on that site stated that it will be a 100k sq ft self storage development.

• Like 1

I'm really excited about this project. The price seems really fair for new development. I think the key will be the commercial space next door. Hopefully they can have a cool coffee shop or restaurant. The only thing holding them back is the specific location.  It's still too industrial with not enough places to walk to.

• 2 months later...

I drive by it every day, and my drives don't usually coincide with a train getting to the crossing at the same time I do, but did last week.

They hit the horn right next to this place. It will be a problem.

If I remember correctly, this section of track is scheduled to become a quiet zone, but lots of work needs to be done to the crossings first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samagon said:

I drive by it every day, and my drives don't usually coincide with a train getting to the crossing at the same time I do, but did last week.

They hit the horn right next to this place. It will be a problem.

If I remember correctly, this section of track is scheduled to become a quiet zone, but lots of work needs to be done to the crossings first.

I saw something awhile back about a group trying to make this area a quiet zone, but it doesn't seem like any progress is being made toward achieving that goal.  There is no way someone could live here and get a full night's sleep.

18 hours ago, phillip_white said:

I saw something awhile back about a group trying to make this area a quiet zone, but it doesn't seem like any progress is being made toward achieving that goal.  There is no way someone could live here and get a full night's sleep.

The group was the gulf coast rail district:

it takes time for these things to happen. Personally, as I prefer to use McKinney street for downtown access, I don't mind them taking as long as they need. I'm sure the owners of this property are banking on the quiet zone.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

I highly doubt you can hear trains from the East End in Montrose. I grew up in Alief, in the neighborhoods around Bellaire and Kirkwood. Where Westpark tollway is now used to be a rail line. It was used fairly heavily up until they stopped using. To hear the train horn the wind had to be blowing right and it had to be a cold day so the sound traveled farther in the more dense air. My house was roughly 1 mile from the crossing at Alief-Clodine and Old Westheimer.

Living in Montrose, the closest you are to the East End rail line that goes by here is about 2 miles, buildings, elevated freeways, lots of things in the path of the sound to bounce around and get lost.

While Washington is a quiet zone, they can and do still blow the horns if necessary. It's about 1 mile from the northern edge of anywhere I'd call Montrose. As it was when I was a kid, the wind would have to be blowing right, and the air would have to be dense for the sound to travel, but it's more likely that you're hearing that train.

It could also be some guy that had a train horn installed in his vehicle and likes to prank people that leave for work at 4:45am ;).

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, phillip_white said:

They had an open house party last night and you'll never guess who showed up... a train... that blocked Sampson Street for the entire hour-ish I was there. Still a good turnout though, and I was told that they are already 50% leased.

I live a block away - trains stop on those tracks a lot

I moved last month and have really been digging it. They did a great job renovating the building. The train can be pretty loud but I've lived in a few different places in the East End and have always lived close to the train tracks. I don't really mind it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pitts said:

I moved last month and have really been digging it. They did a great job renovating the building. The train can be pretty loud but I've lived in a few different places in the East End and have always lived close to the train tracks. I don't really mind it. 

I'm glad you like the place.  The developers seemed to do a first rate job on it.

does the train blow its whistle at night?

16 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

I'm glad you like the place.  The developers seemed to do a first rate job on it.

does the train blow its whistle at night?

Not that often. Though it might be more and I might just be sleeping through them.

• 4 years later...
  • The title was changed to Sampson Lofts - Warehouse To Be Converted To Residential
  • The title was changed to Sampson Lofts: Residential At 810 Sampson St.