Stewart Cadillac At 2520 Main St.

dbigtex56

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a waste of real estate! This prime location has been relegated to a parking lot for Bloatmobiles.

Tear it down!

I agree. I used to work right around the corner from there. Stewart Cadillac is increasingly inappropriate in that Midtown neighborhood.

Before they knock down Stewart Cadillac, though, I hope they do something about the Career and Recovery Resources buildings nearby.

They've got drunks urinating in a doorway and then plunking down and going to sleep in their own urine. Heroin addicts shooting up right on the sidewalk in plain view of everyone. Crack heads walking into businesses and asking for jobs while casing the place. It's scary.

I know I'll take flak for what I just wrote. Everyone talks about how great it is to provide services for the homeless, and rehabilitate drug addicts. Certainly it's a noble cause. But nobody ever thinks about the impact those facilities can have on neighborhoods. Midtown is a perfect example of why they should start.

I agree. I used to work right around the corner from there. Stewart Cadillac is increasingly inappropriate in that Midtown neighborhood.

Before they knock down Stewart Cadillac, though, I hope they do something about the Career and Recovery Resources buildings nearby.

They've got drunks urinating in a doorway and then plunking down and going to sleep in their own urine. Heroin addicts shooting up right on the sidewalk in plain view of everyone. Crack heads walking into businesses and asking for jobs while casing the place. It's scary.

I know I'll take flak for what I just wrote. Everyone talks about how great it is to provide services for the homeless, and rehabilitate drug addicts. Certainly it's a noble cause. But nobody ever thinks about the impact those facilities can have on neighborhoods. Midtown is a perfect example of why they should start.

Aww, I like that place. They fixed up my car after a hit and run. Nice guys work there.

Edited to add: I got hit; I was not the hitter in the hit and run!!

Edited by sarahiki

Yet, you want to destroy establishments that try to bring in people with money, and that actually employ people ? Sure, that makes sense. I suppose you'd be ok with it, if it were a Smart Car dealer ?

Edited by TJones

I like Stewart in that location, because I guarantee that if they move, they are moving to the suburbs. There are far too few car dealerships left inside the loop. Besides, that dealership is clean and employs a lot of people from nearby communities (many of whom might just take the rail). And I guess it goes without saying that they were here long before most of the residents :).

What a waste of real estate! This prime location has been relegated to a parking lot for Bloatmobiles.

Tear it down!

What a waste of a thread. Your overtly biased viewpoint is blinded by the reality that this intersection has been a car dealership for over 20 years. If you're so offended at the irony of a car dealership being across from a LRT station... blame Metro for coming in 2nd. Tear it down... The station.

Also.. I think we have the right to expect a little more out of our moderators.

Someone that should be a little more fair and nonpartisan. Not someone ranting with such a biased view.

Edited by Highway6

Someone that should be a little more fair and nonpartisan. Not someone ranting with such a biased view.

I completely disagree. Moderators serve as traffic control and to see that members abide the terms and conditions of use. None of which precludes them from expressing partisan or biased viewpoints.

What a waste of a thread. Your overtly biased viewpoint is blinded by the reality that this intersection has been a car dealership for over 20 years. If you're so offended at the irony of a car dealership being across from a LRT station... blame Metro for coming in 2nd. Tear it down... The station.

I agree with the first part, disagree with the second part. That's why we have multiple moderators. ;)

Eh, I don't expect anymore out of some of them. Like jeebus said, that is why we have multiples. The Mods are entitled to their opinions as well Hwy.6.

Yet, you want to destroy establishments that try to bring in people with money, and that actually employ people ? Sure, that makes sense. I suppose you'd be ok with it, if it were a Smart Car dealer ?

Woah there.

I'm not saying Stewart Cadillac should shut down altogether. And for me it has nothing to do with a green agenda or Smart Cars. I was looking at it from a purely urban-design standpoint.

Stewart Cadillac's buildings are run down. Not shabby chic mind you, they're just run down. And they have a lot of land that they're under-utilizing it by storing cars on it.

Initially, I thought that maybe Stewart Cadillac should be relocated. The more I think about it, the more I think renovation could do the trick.

They could sell some of their land to drum up funds, and renovate their facilities on the rest.

I'm thinking something like what Momentum Volkswagen did near Greenway Plaza. Stewart Motor Cars did it, too, over on Old Katy Road. They built a multi-story parking garage for their cars. Instead of spreading out, they built up.

It's a model that I think is fully appropriate for Midtown.

Of course, in today's economy and with GM bearing the brunt of it, I don't see anything like this happening in the near future. So, really, it's kind of moot.

Fine.. I overreacted.

I agree that even moderators should have the right to their ridiculous and biased ideas.

This moderator thinks it is great having a reasonably sized dealership in Midtown instead of sprawled out on a freeway. Years ago Midtown was the home for auto retailing in Houston; it is good to see a part of that survive.

Stewart Cadillac's location serves it quite well, and it does a good job of serving its clientele. Not all Midtown dealers can be fashionably chic like Momentum BMW, with its 2nd story showroom putting new Bangle-Butt, iDrive disasters (sorry, but I'm more of a Benz guy!) right at eye level with traffic going down the Pierce Elevated. I can already picture the rubbernecking now. "Hey, Bob, take a look at that badass red 7 series in the showroom!" "Wait, lemme slow down, I can't see it well enough!" :rolleyes:

Stewart Cadillac's location serves it quite well, and it does a good job of serving its clientele. Not all Midtown dealers can be fashionably chic like Momentum BMW, with its 2nd story showroom putting new Bangle-Butt, iDrive disasters (sorry, but I'm more of a Benz guy!) right at eye level with traffic going down the Pierce Elevated. I can already picture the rubbernecking now. "Hey, Bob, take a look at that badass red 7 series in the showroom!" "Wait, lemme slow down, I can't see it well enough!" :rolleyes:

Damn--did Advantage BMW get bought-out?

there's already a stop 2 blocks away. the mcgowen one provides the best access since it is on one of the few streets they kept open.

Elgin is open and I would guess more traffic than Mcgowen. Plus I think there are a lot of students that would prefer a stop in front of the school.

Besides those two perfectly good reasons, it would have been a bit more convenient for me. lol

Woah there.

I'm not saying Stewart Cadillac should shut down altogether. And for me it has nothing to do with a green agenda or Smart Cars. I was looking at it from a purely urban-design standpoint.

Stewart Cadillac's buildings are run down. Not shabby chic mind you, they're just run down. And they have a lot of land that they're under-utilizing it by storing cars on it.

Initially, I thought that maybe Stewart Cadillac should be relocated. The more I think about it, the more I think renovation could do the trick.

They could sell some of their land to drum up funds, and renovate their facilities on the rest.

I'm thinking something like what Momentum Volkswagen did near Greenway Plaza. Stewart Motor Cars did it, too, over on Old Katy Road. They built a multi-story parking garage for their cars. Instead of spreading out, they built up.

It's a model that I think is fully appropriate for Midtown.

Of course, in today's economy and with GM bearing the brunt of it, I don't see anything like this happening in the near future. So, really, it's kind of moot.

If land values if Midtown justified it, I'm sure Stewart would be more than happy to build a multi-level "showroom" and sell off part of their land for a profit.

Apparently land values in Midtown aren't there yet. It's pretty obvious that the demand for property on Main Street isn't very high.

Elgin is open and I would guess more traffic than Mcgowen. Plus I think there are a lot of students that would prefer a stop in front of the school.

that's an administration building. the stop 2 blocks down serves the students at the central campus. as for traffic i was referencing foot traffic with more apartments nearby

Edited by musicman

I agree, it's a distraction...I'll admit, I do glance, but a visitor maybe more inclined to turn their head, which is a concern.

I think we have the right to expect a little more out of our moderators.

I completely disagree. Moderators serve as traffic control and to see that members abide the terms and conditions of use. None of which precludes them from expressing partisan or biased viewpoints.
Eh, I don't expect anymore out of some of them. Like jeebus said, that is why we have multiples. The Mods are entitled to their opinions as well Hwy.6.

Thanks for coming to my defense. My duties as a moderator and privilages as a HAIF member are quite seperate. HAIFers are free to disagree with my opinions (and often do); if anyone suspects I've ever been anything but fair and even-handed as a moderator, please bring it to my attention. Which brings me to the following:

The thread starter is nuts. =P

We do not encourage name-calling on HAIF. The issue here is the location of a car dealership, not my mental health.

Thanks for coming to my defense. My duties as a moderator and privilages as a HAIF member are quite seperate. HAIFers are free to disagree with my opinions (and often do); if anyone suspects I've ever been anything but fair and even-handed as a moderator, please bring it to my attention. Which brings me to the following:

We do not encourage name-calling on HAIF. The issue here is the location of a car dealership, not my mental health.

So if he started a thread about your mental health..... oh never mind.

And speaking of mental health, it's tempting to view the replies to my original remarks as a sort of HAIF Rorshach test.

One might make the case that some respondents have (unconsciously) revealed an attitude towards automobiles and real estate speculators which borders on the religious. How dare I question Our Speculator! He must be defended, lest He strike down upon us with great vengeance and furious anger. How dare I ridicule Cadillacs! I want. Pretty. Shiny.

No. This topic, as is the case of all topics in the "Crater Houston Alliance", is an exercise in wishful thinking. Patient attempts to educate me of the economics involved are irrelevent and redundant. Like world peace, one doesn't have to believe it's attainable to desire it.

I'm of the belief that there are myriad uses for that site which would be preferable to its current one. They would not include oilfield equipment sales and storage, nor animal rendering plants, nor farm machinery sales and service, all of which are good and necessary industries, but lack appeal to the pedestrian. At one time, the land in Midtown surely was used to graze cattle. Later, it was vacant lots and automobile dealerships. What's wrong with hoping to create a better present - and future?

Incidentally, I bear no ill will towards Stewart Cadillac, its owners or employees. I just think it's in the wrong place.

I bear no ill will towards Stewart Cadillac, its owners or employees. I just think it's in the wrong place.

I don't think there's anything wrong with its location. If anything, it's conveniently located. Say for example, "Carl the Commuter" has a Cadillac, works downtown and lives out in Pearland. It's time to have it serviced. The Cadillac dealership is Alvin is not very far, but you have to drive to the east and away from SH 288 to get there. Instead, Carl can go on his normal morning commute up SH 288, take a detour that's only 1-2 miles out of his way, drop off his car, and take a taxi/light rail/loaner car to the office. If the car is ready at the end of the day, he can take the taxi/light rail/loaner car back to the dealer, get his Caddie, and be on his way back to Pearland without much modification to his commute.

My story was probably a little far fetched, but possible. Another, more feasible scenario is for all of the Cadillac owners who live in the surrounding areas. There's quite a few late model Caddies here in the Riverside area, and I've seen a few out in West U, and even River Oaks. Most owners of late model Caddies and original owners of older models prefer to have their cars dealer maintained. Stewart is easily accessible from those points, actually serving the old footprint that Bland Cadillac covered until the late 90s. I think it's a great location. It's not out of place like say, a Bentley dealer located at SH 225 and 146.