6 hours ago, hindesky said:

QDCk8GR.jpg

Not only money but the medical field was way behind the tech curb and is now drastically changing with new technology being introduced. Doctors will increasingly need to know robotics and automation. Houston could be the new technology-medicine hotbed for innovation with all of our medical institutions adapting to new technologies in the field.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

So you go to school to get an engineering degree and a medical degree? Why both and not one or the other? 

The idea is that medicine needs more engineers in the field to make treatment more advanced and cheaper. (Aggie engineer here, student when this all was announced although I'm in aerospace, not medicine) They pitched it to us that in engineering school our way of thinking is changed to a creative problem solving capacity and that we seek to understand instead of just memorize (I've been told by friends that med school professors love having engineers in their classes for this reason). Rather than just knowing what the body does, in med school engineers seek to understand the how and why. They say this would allow us to use that creative problem solving ability to attack the problems head on. Instead of just providing treatment, physician engineers would constantly come up with new solutions- hardware, using data, or otherwise- to treat patients. Essentially, applying the problem solving ability of engineers to the medical field. Really what it is is broadening the pool that medicine pulls from, adding people of new backgrounds, which will definitely make the field better.

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Texas A&M Innovation Plaza: Main at Holcombe
On 5/22/2020 at 8:42 AM, texan said:

The idea is that medicine needs more engineers in the field to make treatment more advanced and cheaper. (Aggie engineer here, student when this all was announced although I'm in aerospace, not medicine) They pitched it to us that in engineering school our way of thinking is changed to a creative problem solving capacity and that we seek to understand instead of just memorize (I've been told by friends that med school professors love having engineers in their classes for this reason). Rather than just knowing what the body does, in med school engineers seek to understand the how and why. They say this would allow us to use that creative problem solving ability to attack the problems head on. Instead of just providing treatment, physician engineers would constantly come up with new solutions- hardware, using data, or otherwise- to treat patients. Essentially, applying the problem solving ability of engineers to the medical field. Really what it is is broadening the pool that medicine pulls from, adding people of new backgrounds, which will definitely make the field better.

I’m genuinely not arguing here but isn’t that what bio-med and bio-tech degrees do already? I guess this is just at the PhD level?

18 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

I’m genuinely not arguing here but isn’t that what bio-med and bio-tech degrees do already? I guess this is just at the PhD level?

I think the idea is to have the people actually providing the care and using the new innovations create them. In engineering, knowledge of operations and how the solution needs to work greatly benefits the design process. Bio-med and bio-tech engineers, while quite talented and useful, aren't in the trenches providing the care (unless of course, they also are MDs).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, texan said:

I think the idea is to have the people actually providing the care and using the new innovations create them. In engineering, knowledge of operations and how the solution needs to work greatly benefits the design process. Bio-med and bio-tech engineers, while quite talented and useful, aren't in the trenches providing the care (unless of course, they also are MDs).

I honestly think this needs to happen in Architecture as well. While there is a substantial argument to be made that there are a myriad of ways students benefit from getting a more general or isolated education in there various fields, many of the real issues we face today are from the fact that our institutions have become overly preoccupied with the abstract, and theoretical instead of what is actually happening in the real world. A way to help this is by bringing multiple disciplines together so they can have checks on one another and learn from one another, and push each other to actually apply there knowledge to what is actually happening in reality. In a way we need to start popping some bubbles or echochambers. People outside ones discipline can be incredibly useful to gain new insight into what one doesn't know or understand. Establishing more lines of communication is always better than cutting oneself off.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

^ It looks like the tall tower in the first pic and the last pic have have different designs. Which render is the most recent version?

Who knows. They couldn't even bother to put the balconies window shades on the existing building.

I don't spot much difference in the pictures. The top feature just appears more glossy/glass like in the last one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainJilliams said:

^ It looks like the tall tower in the first pic and the last pic have have different designs. Which render is the most recent version?

I think they are the same design, but the perspectives are different and one is a daytime render while the other is night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaptainJilliams said:

The tallest building is the one on the right in the second picture. You are seeing it from the ground level and can’t see its height. Looks to be the same design as far as I can tell. 

Edited by jmitch94
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I say this as an Aggie, but this building's design is about as underwhelming as any building built at the main College Station A&M campus the last two decades.  I don't know if this is a problem of "government buildings" where pressures to keep costs down trump any sort of architectural statement a private company may be motivated to make.  At least it improves on what was there...