48 minutes ago, Luminare said:

As a smoker myself I'll glady walk out to both get some fresh air, along with breathing in my Camels' smoke. Monarch can just watch, or try to stop me.

Then you may be disappointed as smoking, smokeless tobacco, and vaping were banned on all Texas A&M University System property starting January 1 of this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

texas_longhorns_football.png

^^^ we congratulate aTm, upon their OUTSTANDING INNOVATIVE PROSPECTUS to re-incorporate their health engineering... health sciences... and overall ingenuity into the TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER complex.  what a beautiful/dynamic/prospective new community.  HOOK'EM!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, hindesky said:

Screen grabs from the Houston Chronicle. Notice the south side of the renovated building only has railings on the second floor.

Dr1v21s.png

wiO1h0E.png

c6nFNBJ.png

3xWmnZZ.png

KZ3Auxc.png

While its not ugly (and God knows Houston has some ugly buildings), its a massive step down from the older renderings and models, and a definite retreat from ambition. Does no one in Houston have ambition anymore.

Edited by Big E
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Big E said:

While its not ugly (and God knows Houston has some ugly buildings), its a massive step down from the older renderings and models, and a definite retreat from ambition. Does no one in Houston have ambition anymore.

Until tenants (office, residential, hotel, in this case a University), are willing to pay a premium for ambitious design, we are stuck swirling the recycled design drain. These new renders are very exciting 10 years ago.

There's hope for Montrose.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Big E said:

7erdDsKx81Pj-XSZrAbhdWKtWEcG3hpC6dbcLzUN

^^^ this particular group issues directives from COLLEGE STATION, TX.  not houston.  therefore, let's present them with the benefit of the doubt.  additionally, you can clearly see the "AMBITION" by witnessing first hand, all of the "aTm" logos all over their prospective edifices...

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Luminare said:

They can pry my cig from my cold dead fingers.

6080121795_1739489b6e_b.jpg

46 minutes ago, monarch said:

additionally, you can clearly see the "AMBITION" by witnessing first hand, all of the "aTm" logos all over their prospective edifices...

Given that this is practically in Rice's back yard, I anticipate witnessing some creative engineers rigging up an industrial-strength laser projector to add "e"s to those logos. 

Edited by mkultra25
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mkultra25 said:

6080121795_1739489b6e_b.jpg

Man, was there ever a cause that guy wouldn't sell himself out to.

"Try Camels this sensible way: smoke them for 30 days and see how Camel's mildness and flavor please you pack after pack!"

We see posters from communist countries and think "Who could ever fall for such brainwashing?" but we had stuff like this.

2 hours ago, monarch said:

7erdDsKx81Pj-XSZrAbhdWKtWEcG3hpC6dbcLzUN

^^^ this particular group issues directives from COLLEGE STATION, TX.  not houston.  therefore, let's present them with the benefit of the doubt.  additionally, you can clearly see the "AMBITION" by witnessing first hand, all of the "aTm" logos all over their prospective edifices...

I guess it beats having a uterus as your logo.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 2/21/2020 at 5:44 AM, Big E said:

Yeah I can agree. Its one of those things where we on here can be a little too noisy. You show this to a lay person and they will be very impressed. Knowing the images we previously saw it seems like a step down. Regardless, they are throwing down at least $500million on this. I'm fine with the aesthetics taking a back seat if that money is going to amazing equipment for students. While A&M is still a bit behind in the aesthetics department, they are definitely top tier when it comes to ambition and vision. As an former student myself its been incredible to see them follow through their plans the past decade or so. Even when I graduated everyones sense was A&M was that small town school out in the middle of nowhere. I remember A&M putting out their vision to be a top 10 university, a world class university, and I was definitely skeptical, but then they have really go above and beyond what anyone has expected of them.

• Like 5

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 9:11 AM, H-Town Man said:

The medical office building looks a little value-engineered here compared to ekdrm's rendering and the one in the Chron article. Still a nice building. Breaks ground in Fall 2021 per the article, so a long way off.

It is A&M. At least they're standing up?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Since there are doors on almost all the east side floors I would think they might have handrails.

3FrzcN6.jpg

l1oBn5W.jpg

Let's hope that's the case, or there will be an entire courtroom devoted to the lawsuits related to falls...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, hindesky said:

Since there are doors on almost all the east side floors I would think they might have handrails.

3FrzcN6.jpg

l1oBn5W.jpg

More like access for window washers, since they can't run a scaffold or rappel.  The Wortham building in American General Center has the same setup.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Texas A&M names $550M TMC campus in Houston

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/05/19/texas-a-m-university-tmc-campus-name.html

The Texas A&M University System's $550 million campus adjacent to Houston's Texas Medical Center will be called Texas A&M Innovation Plaza.

The name was announced May 18, but plans for the campus were announced in February and date back to at least 2017.

“EnMed is just the first example of innovation that Texas A&M System intends to bring to the Texas A&M Innovation Plaza,” Texas A&M System Chancellor John Sharp said in a May 18 press release. “We are excited to have such a visible location in the Texas Medical Center.”

• Like 7

Innovation-Tower-JPGS_Page_3-2.jpg

007653-firey-orange-jelly-icon-arrows-hadown goes the prospective height (50 floors) of our prospective and magnificent TMC... INNOVATION TOWER...

nZ55fza.jpgup goes the brand new NAME/MONIKER of the prospective aggie TMC development... TEXAS A&M INNOVATION PLAZA 

... strange coincidence?  are they changing the name/moniker of INNOVATION TOWER?  what is going on here...?

I think this tower looks fantastic in the rendering !  I'd be proud to have it in the TMC.  AND, it looks way taller with more floors than are mentioned in the short clip from the full article shown above.  Of course I'd love to see it even taller, but by my visual counting, I see at least 48 floors on that tall tower but it could even be more than 50 since the resolution here isn't perfect on the image and I'm actually purposefully under counting floors since I can see them all that clearly.  In addition and although being an alumni, I do have several petty reasons to criticize TAMU, HOWEVER these all pale in comparison to such a good looking development and with great intentions to create a huge presence by putting this in place here in Houston in TMC.  On this project at least, I have to say bravo, indeed and I really hope all of the renderings I see come to fruition, especially the highest tower.  If it happens, it will be extremely prominent in the TMC and far beyond. 

Covid crisis or not, developers are still bully on Houston and for good reason.  Our population's diversity and education are combined as second to none in big cities in America.  And, we always seem to weather big national economic downturns better than other mega cities.  AND then, we tend to bounce back with a vengeance afterwards !  Our local and regional economy (thank goodness) is no longer 80% dependent on just OIL in the energy sector.  We've intelligently diversified in so many ways where the "oil" part is down, way down on the totem pole of importance since that terrible time in the early 80's.  This can also be attributed to the local giant energy companies themselves diversifying away from strictly oil related industry and towards alternative sources and ideas.  So, the doom and gloom of our economic outlook, at least locally, is most likely way overblown.  Not wanting to jinx any of our good fortune, however - nationally, and due to Covid19?  Not so much...

• Like 3

https://today.tamu.edu/2020/05/18/texas-am-system-brands-landmark-campus-in-texas-medical-center/

Texas A&M System Brands Landmark Campus In Texas Medical Center

The five-acre mixed-use Texas A&M Innovation Plaza in Houston will be home to the Engineering Medicine program.
By Texas A&M University System Communications StaffMAY 18, 2020

aerial view rendering of the medical building

The Texas A&M Innovation Plaza in the Texas Medical Center area will include the renovation of an 18-story building, plus $401 million in private sector money to build two new towers.

Texas A&M University System

The Texas A&M University System has announced the name of its landmark 5-acre campus in Houston, Texas, at the prominent intersection of Holcombe Boulevard and Main Street near the Texas Medical Center (TMC). Setting a new standard for collaboration in engineering, medicine, research and education is the first all-new mixed-use campus for the Texas A&M System in Houston: Texas A&M Innovation Plaza.

The Texas A&M University System initiated the new campus by acquiring and renovating an 18-story office building at 1020 Holcombe Blvd. to be the home for EnMed, a unique two-degree program that provides students the chance to earn a master’s degree in engineering from Texas A&M University and a medical degree from the Texas A&M College of Medicine.

The EnMed Building will open later this year.

Complementing the academic, research, discovery and innovation missions of the EnMed Building, Texas A&M Innovation Plaza will provide a welcoming, secure and vibrant experience to the campus population and visitors alike, with generous green spaces and lifestyle amenities not commonly found in the TMC area.

With groundbreaking scheduled in late 2020, the System’s public-private partnership (P3) developer is bringing additional investment of $401 million to fulfill unmet needs in the area with two complementary towers totaling an additional 1.9 million square feet.

“EnMed is just the first example of innovation that Texas A&M System intends to bring to the Texas A&M Innovation Plaza,” said Texas A&M System Chancellor John Sharp. “We are excited to have such a visible location in the Texas Medical Center.”

Scheduled to be complete in June 2022, a 19-story, 714-bed student housing tower will overlook a scenic plaza flanked by a large garage with retail and dining at grade with convenient, affordable parking for 2,800 vehicles. Texas A&M medical students and Prairie View A&M University nursing students will be given priority for housing, but students from other institutions could fill open slots, if available.

Scheduled to be delivered in January 2024 is a 17-story, 515,000 square-foot integrated medical building that will be built atop the 13-story parking structure. With generous, efficient floorplates and robust building technologies, this integrated medical building will be ideally suited to medical, clinical, biomedical, technology and office uses.

Accessible via Main Street, Holcombe Boulevard and Fannin Street, Texas A&M Innovation Plaza is also adjacent to the METRO TMC Station, providing convenient connectivity via bus and light rail service to the TMC, Museum District and Downtown Houston.

The developer for the P3 projects is Medistar Corporation. American Triple I Partners, founded by Texas A&M alum Henry Cisneros, is part of the financing team.

• Like 8