• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

wow forgot about this.

any updates?

It's generally a rule on this forum that you don't post asking if there are updates. If someone has an update that they can share, they will almost certainly share it. Everyone wants to be beloved on the internet.

• Sad 1

This property was bought by A&M last year to house their EnMed program

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/education/article/A-M-focusing-on-Houston-with-purchase-of-land-12271197.php

https://tees.tamu.edu/news/2018/04/06/enmed-program-obtains-lcme-approval-to-move-forward/

EnMed will initially hire 25 faculty members and utilize instructional and research space in the Texas Medical Center, including space in Houston Methodist Hospital, the Texas A&M Health Science Center’s Institute of Biosciences and Technology, and the adjacent 1020 Holcombe Building in the Texas Medical Center, that will be renovated to serve as the education and training campus for EnMed and EnHealth students.

So no fancy mixed-use development, but will at least be renovated.  Still holding out hope for 7200 Main just down the street....someday

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/2/2018 at 10:43 PM, OkieEric said:

FWIW, property is fenced off and apparently some pretty serious demo work going on (Precision Demolition).  Unclear if this is going to impact the exterior, but at night it's pretty evident they are doing extensive gutting

The whole building is fenced off and Vaughnn has lots of construction trailers on site. To me it looks like they are gutting the building including taking off the marble/granite facade and the glass. I wonder if they will implode it once they have it gutted or if they plan to repurpose the structure?

Yvt5VjL.jpg

6gIUZCs.jpg

Zk7IfEK.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, hindesky said:

The whole building is fenced off and Vaughnn has lots of construction trailers on site. To me it looks like they are gutting the building including taking off the marble/granite facade and the glass. I wonder if they will implode it once they have it gutted or if they plan to repurpose the structure?

Zk7IfEK.jpg

Those missing sections of facade in your last shot there have always (well, for at least the last 6 years I've lived in area) been missing.  It looks like the offsetting slabs were reinforced at some point, so I've always wondered just how secure it all is...

FWIW, the article below indicates they are renovating the building:

https://tees.tamu.edu/news/2018/04/06/enmed-program-obtains-lcme-approval-to-move-forward/

• Like 3

20 hours ago, OkieEric said:

Those missing sections of facade in your last shot there have always (well, for at least the last 6 years I've lived in area) been missing.  It looks like the offsetting slabs were reinforced at some point, so I've always wondered just how secure it all is...

FWIW, the article below indicates they are renovating the building:

Yeah I saw what appeared to be bolts/plugs holding some of them up so I assumed those were the ones coming off next.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bobruss said:

Some of those panels started falling off and they had to reinforce the wall panels. I cant remember the exact reason. Perhaps a Hurricane.

Google streetview supports this - the panels were there in March 2008 and gone in September 2009, so Ike was the likely culprit.

• Like 3

I'm guessing this building is around the same age or within the same time frame as the ole Exxon Building. Same look (International Style), and same materials (monolithic stone exterior) both are marble right? I can't remember if the Exxon buildings facade is also marble.

• Like 3