OK, maybe that was a bit much. How about:

Galleria Area Wuss District. And We'll Feel Uptown before Long.

GAWD AWFUL

Better?

A little better. At least unlike (GISM) Galleria Is just Some Mall, it does not make me think of the smelly stuff in that other part of town called: Stinky Dina a.k.a. Pasadena Houston

SLMTO!

(smells like money to me).

I grew up in Baytown, don't feel bad, I was one of the lucky ones. I got out. :D Anyways, my family and I live in Katy now, and we sometimes go back to visit relatives , my wife has gotten to the point where she will not let me take the beltway to get there, so we have to take I-10 and deal with traffic. She won't go the beltway because of the "smell" going through Stinkadena. She grew up in the clean air and starry nights of El Campo. I, of course, do not "smell" any foul odors, having your senses de-sensatised is a funny thing. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Look for the strip denoted by the red-dot to get a makeover. I get my hair cut there. It's a neat little area with a euro-village feel to the layout.

Looking kinda dumpy right now, but I see them trying to keep up with the Jonses'.

Map.jpg

Is anyone else besides me old enough to remember when this area was called "Sin Alley"?

The train tracks that go right thru are one of the only ways for trains coming from temple and college station to get down on the line to corpus and san antonio without having to go around the ship channel area, i think.I think that UP wouldnt want to give that track up.

Remember when all the railroads companies merged and they had that train traffic jam? i remember taking the hardy toll road and there would be trains end to end parked the whole way.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update...the existing Central Ford building has been boarded up and the boards painted black. Lots of graffiti on the site in the garages as seen from a drive by on West. Some surveying going on at the site this morning.

Also, looks like from the Trademark Property web site it will be named "High Street." Maybe that has something to do with the Sin Alley background... :wacko:

Edited by BuilderGeek

• 3 months later...
Also there is a similar project accross the street or up the street from this that is also going up. Any construction started?

the financing is going to be real tricky on that deal. one of the problems is the HISD redevelopment and the feasibility of a comparable project in the same submarket. the good news is that they recently purchased additional land, so they are moving forward and spending some big $$.

Cypress Realty, the same group that developed Longwood as well as the planned Hardy Yard project is developing this project as well. You can view artist renderings of this project and others like their planned Town & Country Redevelopment on their website, here:

Cypress Realty Advisors - Westcreek Project

The renderings on this link (above) look awesome.

p_westcreekaerial2.jpg

p_westcreekaerial3.gif

the financing is going to be real tricky on that deal. one of the problems is the HISD redevelopment and the feasibility of a comparable project in the same submarket. the good news is that they recently purchased additional land, so they are moving forward and spending some big $$.

Okay, since I can't go without asking, what about Boulevard Place?

• 3 months later...

There is a rendering in the print edition.

Big plans for Westheimer site

Mixed-use property to have high-end feel

By ABBY TERRELL

Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

A six-acre gap in Westheimer real estate has been locked up by a developer with plans to replicate the high-end feel of some other properties nearby.

Trademark Property Co., a Fort Worth-based real estate firm, has signed a long-term lease to develop a site between Highland Village and the West Loop that was once home to Central Ford.

"It's great retail and real estate," said Terry Montesi, chief executive officer for Trademark.

Right now the vacant dealership looks out of place. With Highland Village to the east and Uptown Park to the west, this piece of Westheimer remains an island of drabness.

Montesi is looking to close that gap. He plans to demolish what's left of Central Ford in August, but hasn't nailed down what comes next.

Gensler and Elkus Manfredi Architects of Boston have been hired to design a complex for the property at 4410 Westheimer.

The developer envisions that the site, called High Street, will be pedestrian-oriented and include 100,000 feet of specialty retail, restaurants and entertainment, as well as 250 to 350 residential units above the complex.

Link

There is a rendering in the print edition.

Link

Be a little nervous Houstonians. I know Terry; used to work for him. I like Terry, but I don't trust that he is going to come through with anything that most on this board are going to particularly be impressed with or necessarily like.

Seems like a lot is going on in this area of town. Soon they will need a name for this area over all. Can it still be called part of the Galleria/Uptown Area, or should it all be called THE Highland Village, or something like that?

I used to work for ol' Joe Catania at Central Ford, glad to see a new shopping strip is going in for all the residents around there. I don't think that the whole time I worked there that one person in the immediate zip code actually bought a car from there. That part of town tends to drive BMW, Jag, Caddy. Tough to get rid of Fords in the Galleria area. :D

Edited by TJones

I used to work for ol' Joe Catania at Central Ford, glad to see a new shopping strip is going in for all the residents around there. I don't think that the whole time I worked there that one person in the immediate zip code actually bought a car from there. That part of town tends to drive BMW, Jag, Caddy. Tough to get rid of Fords in the Galleria area. :D

I could imagine that the mark-up they have to maintain was the hardest part, so people went further out of town to get better deals

Is the new mock-up anywhere else other than the print edition of the Chronicle?

I could imagine that the mark-up they have to maintain was the hardest part, so people went further out of town to get better deals

Is the new mock-up anywhere else other than the print edition of the Chronicle?

Same as everyone else, Joe paid the smae price and had the same rebates as everyone else. Joe owned the land, well, his wife actually owned the land. ;)

Edited by TJones

I'm unimpressed. I preferred their earlier site plan.

The rendering only looks like the central, midrise portion. Hopefully, the highrises, and such will still be built around the thing.

shouldn't the threads be merged?

Which threads? It was my understanding that the Westcreek project and this one (High Street) were separate, just near each other on Westheimer.

From the article, I would guess that the rendering is extremely preliminary - no more than a pencil sketch at this point. They are still firming up the components of the project.