I hope that not all the car dealerships move out of the inner city I would not want to drive out to Katy to buy my next car.

I agree - the thought of having to schlep my car to a megadealer in Katy or Alvin for repairs (and then find a ride back into town) makes me cringe. What a pain. <_<

Plus, the small lot dealerships in town are one last glimmer of the way Houston used to be ...

Edited by GoAtomic

A little birdie told me today that thea partment complex next door to the old Central Ford also sold.

Not sure if it will be part of the same complex, but the apartments are coming down in the name of progress.

Great view from Transco from this area.

Good to here, mabe it will be an even big project now.

I think Washington, Shepard, and Durham are the small lot dealer's central.

Its a shame, Up Shepard, inbetween the 610 and 45, its really a cool drive. Alot of 50's architecture and style along there. Like old theatres, strip centers, heck, even that Sears! :) But there are way too many small used car dealerships along there. Shame...

All those apartments? That complex is HUGE. It was ghetto too. I had a friend that lived there... lots of obnoxious fresh college grads having loud parties and throwing up off the balconies.

I looked there once for a two bedroom, two bath. They originally didnt' have floor plans like that, so they knocked out walls between 1/1 and efficiencies. It was very odd, because then the larger apartment had two entrances in front and a back door in each of the bedrooms that let out into the parking lot.

I agree - the thought of having to schlep my car to a megadealer in Katy or Alvin for repairs (and then find a ride back into town) makes me cringe. What a pain. <_<

Plus, the small lot dealerships in town are one last glimmer of the way Houston used to be ...

I remember when I was younger here in Bryan/College Station we use to get a lot of Houston TV Stations and there where alot of local car commercials like:

Mc Hike Chevrolet or something like that.

they had a little song with it "Mc Hike Chevrolet, Katy freeway,....something...something, exit Katy" Yall know what Im talking about. I think it was the one with the Peacock. And I think they had a parking garage for there cars. Does it still exist?

I forgot those other comercials but there where a lot of them like that. Do any of you remember any other car dealers that aren't there anymore?

Edited by citykid09

Mc Hike Chevrolet or something like that.

they had a little song with it "Mc Hike Chevrolet, Katy freeway,....something...something, exit Katy" Yall know what Im talking about. I think it was the one with the Peacock. And I think they had a parking garage for there cars. Does it still exist?

I forgot those other comercials but there where a lot of them like that. Do any of you remember any other car dealers that aren't there anymore?

Here you go:

Old car dealers

from direct sources, the apartments next door (1,200 units on +/- 28a) will meet the wrecking ball to make way for a massive multi-use redevelopment comparable to tc/morgan's hisd deal. i wasnt going to say anything but since the cat is already out of the bag :D

and fyi - it was not sold; just brought in new/additional partners due to the amount of equity required for a deal of this magnitude.

from direct sources, the apartments next door (1,200 units on +/- 28a) will meet the wrecking ball to make way for a massive multi-use redevelopment comparable to tc/morgan's hisd deal. i wasnt going to say anything but since the cat is already out of the bag :D

and fyi - it was not sold; just brought in new/additional partners due to the amount of equity required for a deal of this magnitude.

do they have a website or renderings? will it be a walkable neighborhood development meant for mixed-use?

will it be easy to accommodate rail to the new development? will it fill in the gap between the Highland Village and this location? will it be a seamless transition landscape after it is built? Will this area be identified as the Galleria or something else all together?

Hmmm....

Let me ask my hair dresser again, and I'll get back with you ;-)

Seriously...

As far as the gap between HV, it's called a rail road track. West of the RR, there are shops (mainly salon) up to where the old Jack-n-Box was.

So it will essentially all be connected, except for two roads the the dreaded RR tracks.

Hmmm....

Let me ask my hair dresser again, and I'll get back with you ;-)

Seriously...

As far as the gap between HV, it's called a rail road track. West of the RR, there are shops (mainly salon) up to where the old Jack-n-Box was.

So it will essentially all be connected, except for two roads the the dreaded RR tracks.

OK other then the rail road and two streets will it be a seamless landscape. was it not discussed for a while I think only considered that a toll road would go along were the rail road is now and the rail road would be redirected to another spot? I think it was considered but I have not heard of it anymore. the road was to go underground through the park and be elevated along the rest of the way.

do they have a website or renderings? will it be a walkable neighborhood development meant for mixed-use?

will it be easy to accommodate rail to the new development? will it fill in the gap between the Highland Village and this location? will it be a seamless transition landscape after it is built? Will this area be identified as the Galleria or something else all together?

they closed on the equity only the other week, so a website is a ways off. i have only seen the preliminary drawings and "may" post new ones when i get my greedy hands on them ;)

there's some office and retail on mid lane/westheimer, so there should be an easy transition between hv, the former ford dealership, westcreek, and the galleria.

Look for the strip denoted by the red-dot to get a makeover. I get my hair cut there. It's a neat little area with a euro-village feel to the layout.

Looking kinda dumpy right now, but I see them trying to keep up with the Jonses'.

Map.jpg

Seems like a lot is going on in this area of town. Soon they will need a name for this area over all. Can it still be called part of the Galleria/Uptown Area, or should it all be called THE Highland Village, or something like that?

its obnoxious to see crap like that... especially here. New York did SOHO and now everyone tries it. Oh, its south of downtown? lets call it SODO. Its north Houston? NOHO.

North of Washington by the (new) Target? NOWATA-HO.

Its cool the first time its done (and works...). Everything afterwards is just unoriginal.

Most of the areas in Houston have had names for a long time. Use those instead of jumping on the bandwagon. I'd much rather here Rice Military than some stupid New York knockoff.

Edited by danes75