EXCLUSIVE REPORTS

From the August 12, 2005 print edition

Car dealership gives way to urban infill

Jennifer Dawson

Houston Business Journal

A high-end development mixing retail, residential and possibly office space will soon be parked on an inner-city tract that has been occupied by auto dealerships for the past three decades.

Trademark Property Co. is negotiating a long-term ground lease on six acres on Westheimer just west of Mid Lane, which is currently home to a Central Ford dealership.

Trademark is the Fort Worth-based developer behind the $100 million Market Street project in The Woodlands. That successful 34-acre development includes 400,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space and 100,000 square feet of office space.

Read More...

• Like 1

This is really good news! The first time I went down Westhimer and saw that place I knew that it looked out of place, and I imagined it with some urban developments, and now its coming true.

When my uncle from Boston came down to Houston from Boston to tour the city and look for a job, thats where he and his wife rented a car at.

• Like 1

This is really good news! The first time I went down Westhimer and saw that place I knew that it looked out of place, and I imagined it with some urban developments, and now its coming true.

When my uncle from Boston came down to Houston from Boston to tour the city and look for a job, thats where he and his wife rented a car at.

And to think that you had lost all faith in Houston development, eh? :lol:

But, anyway, the site is really close to Highland Village, and The Galleria! great news, indeed!

That's one small step for Houston...One giant leap for the future of houston development...

• Like 1

There is a large residential population within walking distance to this place also. Lots of apartments and townhomes.

If you've notices, there have been lots of proposals floating around for new urban mixed use development in the area. If not all of them get built, at least the interest of the developers are there which means couple will follow through and finish.

• Like 1

I totally agree. That is valuable property over there and the dealership has become out of place with the area.

• Like 1

I think car dealerships are ok only if they are luxury (like the Bently dealer in Uptown). You can also have urban cardealers, I went to NYC, and they sold cars out of buildings. There are big glass displays where you can look in at the cars.

• Like 1

^ It was a mini copper dealealership in NYC that I saw. I think it was near where they tape Entertanment Tonight.

This development will be great, but I hope the developers work with the city to better the traffic along that stretch. It is very hard to pull onto Westview if you are heading East on Westhiemer. But all in this is good news.

Textbook infill. The last pieces connecting the River Oaks and Uptown spending district are being slowly snapped into place. Our upscale shopping mecca is going to be huge in 30 years.

Now, we need something to tie that into The Village, and then, far west, to the new Memorial City development/T&C.

Textbook infill. The last pieces connecting the River Oaks and Uptown spending district are being slowly snapped into place. Our upscale shopping mecca is going to be huge in 30 years.

Yeah, now if only the owner of that Zone'd Erotica can be convinced to relocate to Pearland, it would be nonstop niceness for sure.

If anyone here knows the owner, could you spank him/her for me? (no pun intended)

Great idea.  I think auto dealerships are the second worst use for inner city land.  Parking lots are the worst.

I defiantly agree open ground parking lots are and eyesore for the inner-city, but if a car dealerships opened up downtown with a parking structure with ground level pedestrian access and large widow displays to allow the public to view their showroom. I bet you would think it was cool and urban.

The fact of the matter is that when developers build in the inner city they need to rethink how they build, and not just build designs meant for the suburbs. I don

Yeah, now if only the owner of that Zone'd Erotica can be convinced to relocate to Pearland, it would be nonstop niceness for sure.

If anyone here knows the owner, could you spank him/her for me? (no pun intended)

You bring up a great point that I have always wondered about. Why could the owners of the Galleria (Simon I think) not throw a bunch of money at the Zone and tear that place down once and for all. Whenever Lukes burned, the galleria owners should have jumped at the chance to pay big dollard to buy that property. I am looking out my window right now at the Dillards parking lot and am amazed that the Zone is still there.

It was also an Internet Cafe.

The truth of the matter is that the Galleria is hurt in no way from the existence of this place. Also, Dillards is not the Galleria.

The reason I feel it doesn't affect the Galleria is because it is not in a convenient location. If you are on the streets of Uptown and not on the loop, you never notice this place.

If the Galleria was getting bad press and patrons were not going there because of the Zone D'Erotica place, I think you might see some action. The fact that this place has changed hands so many times leads me to believe that the current tennant won't be there for long anyway.