Sign in to follow this  
tigereye

$1BN New Corpus Christi Harbor Bridge

Very elegant :) While I like the look of old truss bridges this is simply a case where the older bridge could not function the way it use too and need to be replaced and if it is going to be replaced then why not make a real impact visually.

Yeah I like the old bridge myself, but this replacement will be very appropriate for the location. Corpus Christi has a beautiful waterfront, and this adds to the overall visual appeal.

• Like 2

Wow, that's very striking! So it will go behind the Hooks' stadium. I hadn't been able to figure out where it was going to be. Guess they'll lose the backdrop of the old bridge?

It's beautiful. I figure the 610 bridge over the Houston Ship Channel may need a replacement in the next 20-40 years. Something like this would be a nice replacement.

The new bridge project has a website at the aptly named harborbridgeproject.com.

I will definitely miss the old bridge. Much like the new one, it is one of the defining elements of the skyline and bayfront, but the lighting at night has been great in the recent past with the LED displays that have been customized for special events and holidays. Part of me actually misses the "classic" bulb lighting sprinkled across the structure of the bridge but regardless of the past, this new one looks to be more than a fitting replacement. 

Before the old one goes, I'm determined to get down there and take part in one of their regular Sunday morning Bridge Walks. I've always wanted to take photos from up there...

• Like 1

The current bridge was opened in 1959. It's not high enough for all modern ships to pass underneath. It's also steep, expensive to maintain, and has no capacity for pedestrians or bicycles.

Finally got the chance to go down and see the construction for myself last week. It is amazing to see up close, and you definitely can get that vantage point driving on some of the streets just west of North Beach as there are still some businesses and homes in the area. 

qZM7usN.jpg

NqMFSYY.jpg

6WmvrqJ.jpg

oumPVYi.jpg

KoeLUUE.jpg

7JKVovz.jpg

QiNq8sf.jpg

• Like 9

the people who designed this also designed the Houston Ship Channel Bridge, and it has the exact same problem.
The old harbor bridge is fun at night, it's done up with LED pixel strips like the arch bridges on I-69 in Montrose