Private Sidewalk Repair Program Debuts

trymahjong

from Cohen's enewsletter:

Council has authorized the creation of a privately-funded Sidewalk Repair, Replacement, and Installation Program that will be coordinated through the Public Works and Engineering Department. Sidewalk installation and/or maintenance is the responsibility of the adjacent property owner. The new program allows individuals to utilize a City contractor at a fixed cost. Interested citizens may apply online and should copy the District C office for guidance (DistrictC@houstontx.gov).

Can businesses and developers within the city limits be forced to build a sidewalk?  There's a long stretch of Richmond along the Royal Oaks development where they never put in a sidewalk.

I believe any new development would be required to install sidewalks along the front of the property. This may be in part a city ordinance and a requirement of the Americans With Disabilities Act.

from Cohen's enewsletter:

Council has authorized the creation of a privately-funded Sidewalk Repair, Replacement, and Installation Program that will be coordinated through the Public Works and Engineering Department. Sidewalk installation and/or maintenance is the responsibility of the adjacent property owner. The new program allows individuals to utilize a City contractor at a fixed cost. Interested citizens may apply online and should copy the District C office for guidance (DistrictC@houstontx.gov).

Interesting to see how successful this will be turning out!

Can businesses and developers within the city limits be forced to build a sidewalk?  There's a long stretch of Richmond along the Royal Oaks development where they never put in a sidewalk.

It's hard to make an existing business install one, but if it's a new development one should have gone in. I'd report it.

I believe any new development would be required to install sidewalks along the front of the property. This may be in part a city ordinance and a requirement of the Americans With Disabilities Act.

I think that was already part of the city ordinances when this was built (2000 or so).  I've wondered if they got a variance of some sort as they did build sidewalks along other sides of the development.

I think that was already part of the city ordinances when this was built (2000 or so).  I've wondered if they got a variance of some sort as they did build sidewalks along other sides of the development.

Indeed. Kirksey Architecture build their new office about that time on Portwest Drive about that time. It was the last undeveloped parcel in that commercial subdivision. The owner was required to provide a sidewalk along the Portwest Drive even though the lots on either side did not have them; they were developed before the ordinance was in place.

Kirksey went ahead and put in the sidewalk. It was a minor line item in the construction budget compared to the entire project and it was the right thing to do. I haven't paid attention in the ensuing decade and a half but I would not be surprised to see sidewalks linking the one in front of Kirksey's office  all along Portwest to both its terminations at Old Katy Road.

I've been attending the meetings on the proposed Montrose TIRZ

In the category of "positive" reasons to have TIRZ --

Examples are given that the TIRZ board, the Management District and COH meet with developers

and lay out what is expected of them--this almost always means sidewalk construction-(sometimes, curb also--then as the saying goes--

once the developer agrees. . . . . 

the TIRZ has more budget available to do "other things"

I've been attending the meetings on the proposed Montrose TIRZ

In the category of "positive" reasons to have TIRZ --

Examples are given that the TIRZ board, the Management District and COH meet with developers

and lay out what is expected of them--this almost always means sidewalk construction-(sometimes, curb also--then as the saying goes--

once the developer agrees. . . . .

the TIRZ has more budget available to do "other things"

Isn't the Montrose area in Cohen's district ?

Archived