Observation About Drivers In Bryan-College Station

JLWM8609

I've been up here twice in the past week and I've noticed that most drivers here don't seem to know how a left turn yield on green ball signal intersection works. When you get the green ball and you're going to be turning left, you're supposed to pull a bit into the intersection and then turn left when you get the protected arrow phase or the traffic clears. I've seen drivers stay behind the white line and miss opportunities to make a left turn, staying behind the crosswalk and backing up the left turn lane during multiple signal phases. What's the deal with this BCS left turn method?

This may sound bad, but I blame international students. When I was living in Eastgate, I was standing at a corner to see a girl miss the protected green arrow (it turned yellow, I think), suddenly jerk to a stop, nearly causing the girl behind her to rear-end her (she looked pretty pissed off, as anyone would be), then when she had to yield on a solid green, she went forward, nearly causing a motorcyclist to collide with her.

Hell, Houston isn't much better. People do that same thing all the time. Half the people in downtown don't realize that you can take a left from a one-way street onto another one-way street on red. I also get a bit annoyed when people don't turn onto the access road at Taft and Allen Parkway on red. Rather, they wait for the green light to turn right directly onto the main lanes of Allen Parkway even though there is an entrance onto the main lanes from the access road immediately after you turn right onto the access road.

I will give you this though - people, particularly students, in College Station are often terrible with general common sense rules of the road. Driving George Bush, Wellborn, Texas Ave., or University around the university could be a fun exercise in patience during the school week. Bryan really isn't any better either.

Hehe. Just had to vent.

I don't think it has to do with nationality more so than it has to do with the fact that we have a piss-poor driving education system here. It's ridiculous how easy it is to get a license here.

And most college students really haven't been driving that long either and lack the experience and judgement of an older driver.

And most college students really haven't been driving that long either and lack the experience and judgement of an older driver.

Plus they're aggies.

sorry. this thread was begging for an aggie joke. wish i had a better one.

unfortunately Larry is partially right.. they all drive huge maroon trucks with aTm logos on the back and drive like they're the only person on the road. maybe its the fact they are just more easily discernible with their flamboyant aTm garb, but the majority of those people are either driving way too slow in the left lane, or driving like an asshole and cutting people off/not using their signals

unfortunately Larry is partially right.. they all drive huge maroon trucks with aTm logos on the back and drive like they're the only person on the road.

I've seen a lot of trucks, I've seen a lot of maroon cars, but not much of both. (Weren't you from Baylor, btw?)

ha, yeah I'm just kind of having fun with the Aggie thing. some people at Baylor drove pretty poorly too, it was just harder to tell who was a Baylor student unless they were young/driving a Bentley or something, because most students in Waco didn't buy green & yellow cars (ok, so off the top of my head i did know of one person with a green and yellow truck).

ha, yeah I'm just kind of having fun with the Aggie thing. some people at Baylor drove pretty poorly too, it was just harder to tell who was a Baylor student unless they were young/driving a Bentley or something, because most students in Waco didn't buy green & yellow cars (ok, so off the top of my head i did know of one person with a green and yellow truck).

Huh?

My own theory is that in CS you have a nasty mix of drivers. In addition to the international students, you have your regular American with 3 years of driving experience. With the prominent agricultural component, a good chunk of those drivers rarely saw 10 cars on the road at the same time, much less had to worry about yielding to a left turn. The rest of the students learned to drive in the 'burbs of Houston or Dallas, so they play by those rules.

CSPD loves it though. I'd love to see ticket revenue per resident by municipality in Texas.

huh what? maroon cars are everywhere in College Station. green and gold cars are not in Waco.

Green and gold cars are not in this country.  And Baylor students drive Bentleys?  You seem very biased, to the point of delusion. 

Green and gold cars are not in this country.  And Baylor students drive Bentleys?  You seem very biased, to the point of delusion. 

Nowadays it's more often Hummers.  Back in the day BMW's and Mercedes were the more common cars.  I did see a kid driving a Rolls once.  Probably a hand-me-down.

geez.. apparently i can't play up stereotypes, or poke fun at the other school on the Brazos.. :rolleyes:

exactly. green/gold cars are not common. but since maroon is, people in College Station eat it up/all go out and buy them. its not a knock on CS/Aggies. just makes it easier to tell who is who/i.e. classify a certain category of drivers.

yes. a few people drove Bentleys at Baylor. along with Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and Rolls Royces to name a few. and then when people like Kendall Wright came back into town, he would always drive his McLaren. I'm sure every school has its share of wealthier students, at Baylor it was just more ridiculous than most.. but nothing like Parents Weekend.

anyways thats beside the point. obviously some people don't enjoy a good stereotype.

geez.. apparently i can't play up stereotypes, or poke fun at the other school on the Brazos.. :rolleyes:

exactly. green/gold cars are not common. but since maroon is, people in College Station eat it up/all go out and buy them. its not a knock on CS/Aggies. just makes it easier to tell who is who/i.e. classify a certain category of drivers.

yes. a few people drove Bentleys at Baylor. along with Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and Rolls Royces to name a few. and then when people like Kendall Wright came back into town, he would always drive his McLaren. I'm sure every school has its share of wealthier students, at Baylor it was just more ridiculous than most.. but nothing like Parents Weekend.

anyways thats beside the point. obviously some people don't enjoy a good stereotype.

It's all good.  But you should get the stereotypes right.  Baylor isn't known as the rich kids private school.  That goes to SMU hands down.  As for "I once saw a Bentley", every school has its overpaid football coaches and former athletes. 

It's all good. But you should get the stereotypes right. Baylor isn't known as the rich kids private school. That goes to SMU hands down. As for "I once saw a Bentley", every school has its overpaid football coaches and former athletes.

Oh, Baylor isn't known as a rich kids private school? and I'm the one being delusional here.. :rolleyes:

Except these were students driving the Bentleys, Lambos, Ferraris, and Rolls. I don't think a football coach or former athlete would park their prized cars in a STUDENT PARKING GARAGE. ;)

Oh, Baylor isn't known as a rich kids private school? and I'm the one being delusional here.. :rolleyes:

Except these were students driving the Bentleys, Lambos, Ferraris, and Rolls. I don't think a football coach or former athlete would park their prized cars in a STUDENT PARKING GARAGE. ;)

Ok, you win.  All kinds of students drive "Lambos" and Ferraris at Baylor

I think it's young people everywhere and I blame it on social media. They cannot go more then 2 minutes without checking their phones. Not a day goes by that I don't pass someone whose focus is on their phone instead of the road. I'm sure it's worse in a university town like CS. 

Ok, you win.  All kinds of students drive "Lambos" and Ferraris at Baylor

yes. a few people drove Bentleys at Baylor.

note i said a few. there were maybe 5-10 exotic super cars on campus tops. hardly everyone of the 15,000 students at Baylor. the delusional part was towards Baylor not being a "rich kids school". alright, now lets stop talking about Baylor and get back to the subject at hand. Fringe is definitely right. the student to total population ratio in B/CS is like 1 out of every 5 people. factor in all the people that can't drive yet and you've got a student to older/more advanced driver ratio closer to 1 in 4. thats a really high percentage of people who haven't been driving for very long and have phones attached to their hand 24/7.

It's all good.  But you should get the stereotypes right.  Baylor isn't known as the rich kids private school.  That goes to SMU hands down.  As for "I once saw a Bentley", every school has its overpaid football coaches and former athletes. 

Say what?

• The title was changed to Observation About Drivers In Bryan-College Station

Archived