Nothing new in the hood?

txcat84

Updates on hipster gas station vandalism? Development on 19th,rumors about water works parcel? How did the street walking thing on 19th go? Will the new farmers market have legs? Have any projects been sidelined or vice versa due to oil slump? More development coming for N. Shepherd?

Something. Anything. Board seems dead lately?

Let me stick my nose in this . . .

This used to be my favorite morning coffee read. Over time one personality starting dominating every single thread with a sense of know-it-allness and self importance. I found many of the replies to be offensive and tried to complain but apparently it did not meet the stated criteria of "offensive" for the boards. At the very least, that person's comments served to shut down any sort of conversation/discusssion of the Heights. My humble opinion is that this is what eventually drove others away and now we are left with a "latest" news kind of blog  instead of one with good discussions. It has become very boring and i usually can get that sort of information elsewhere, often sooner. So let's bring back some real discussion and let all get a word in edgewise.

There hasn't been a big juicy issue in the Heights for a while.  The most interesting thing recently was the dust up over the Heights Mercantile development.  While I strongly supported the developer, looking back on it, it was a big hail Mary pass to try to get the planning commission to bend on the parking minimums.  I certainly hope the developer has a plan B.  If not, the developer can look in the mirror if it has any doubt who to blame if the project can't get done.

The Heights is really in a build out phase.  Nothing big will happen until the market has fully digested the new multifamily and retail in the pipeline, especially in light of the pull back in the energy market.  It is just more of the same for now.  A lot of the big issues that were the subject of heated debate on this board have mostly played out.  Walmart is over.  The historic ordinance is here to stay.  The real estate boom has plateaued, but is not going to give up any appreciate absent something catastrophic in the Houston economy.  There just isn't much to fuss about.  Million dollar homes going up everywhere.  Yawn.  Great new restaurants are exciting, but nothing to get people whipped up into a frenzy unless someone dares to park their car in front of someone's house.  Katyville style development south of I-10 has come to be the norm.  The neighborhood is basically in stasis.  But give it some time.  When the energy markets come back, I am sure someone will propose a highrise on one of the few remaining big parcels in the Heights and get everyone cussing and fussing again. 

I am not looking for a dust-up, frenzy and certainly no dead bodies! I just feel like one person tends to shut down the "conversation" with "expert" opinions about everything; it feels like there is nothing more to say once that person has weighed in. So for interesting topics:

I have seen the new art work on the boulevard. While I love for this to continue, I think I really liked the original pieces better. Maybe just because they were novel or maybe it was a better showing? 

What do you think of residential permit parking on Heights streets? This has come up near my house and was pretty much a gross mis-application of the ordinance. However, it really pointed out the downside of the level of gentrifying that we are now experiencing. For me the remodeled disgusting apartment complex and row of new well-built, appropriate houses was a big win-win, but some found other issues.

I am very excited about the new restaurants on Shepherd. This is really huge for us I think. I am kind of scared to say this (old story about posting a negative rant at the bar got someone tossed out of said bar) but leaping into it - No matter how many times I hear that the food at Down House has improved it has not been what I have found. So wish them more on the food at the new spots. This might spark a "frenzy"

I am sure I can think of some other conversation worthy topics. I would just hope that the replies would be ones that participate in the conversation rather than pontificate.

What do you think of residential permit parking on Heights streets? This has come up near my house and was pretty much a gross mis-application of the ordinance. However, it really pointed out the downside of the level of gentrifying that we are now experiencing. For me the remodeled disgusting apartment complex and row of new well-built, appropriate houses was a big win-win, but some found other issues.

Bad idea. The streets belong to all of the residents, not just those who own adjacent property. If there are real parking issues, then call the police. Otherwise, it's part of living in an area with easy access to amenities. Having said that, I try to be a polite parker, avoiding parking directly behind a driveway, etc. I will park over the rocks some people put out, since I have the ground clearance to do so.

Honestly, I have found that if you speak directly to the parties involved with an open mind you usually can find satisfactory conclusions. That is not how this was handled and everyone got their dander up. I think it has all settled down but the process just pointed out the changes as we gentrify. Some of my newer neighbors don't have the history in the area to appreciate the positive changes and simply view it as a problem that might have occurred in West U or somewhere else. I hope the newer folks will take the time to get the feel of things first in the future! And as it turns out, we really don't have a parking problem just lots of assumptions :)

In general, I'd like to see more street parking and less land area dedicated to surface parking lots.

Where it's really a constant problem, like for example the 600 block of Arlington, I'd prefer residents apply for residential parking during certain hours (6pm to 10pm, say), than illegally place boulders in the right of way, which restricts parking 24/7.

If I read the map correctly, it seems that block is getting overflow from commercial activity on White Oak. I think this is just what the ordinance is intended for. Near my house it was really a spat about whether the area in front of the houses was for the exclusive use of the owners. They were unhappy that guests of the apt complex across the street parked there. Unfortunately, both sides of the street have parking that is all in the COH right of way so theoretically is open to both parties. 

Agree with Downhouse opinion. I do like the food there, but how much pickled crap can you put on how many dishes? I hope their flavor profile branches out too, because when I've eaten at D&T, I've found myself thinking it tastes like something from another page of the Downhouse menu. Which isn't always a bad thing, but in this case I could take it or leave it. The group does a good job with their booze programs though.

I live relatively close to shepherd so any restaurants, bars, retail would be long walking distance. Hope that development trend continues!

I got into a fight with a store owner about parking.  I was going to a place down the street and parked in the cut out area in front of a "Customer Only Parking" sign on the wall of the building (link below).  The parking is a bit weird because of the building overhang but to me it looks like that area is still public. And the sign didn't have a phone number on it and appeared to be illegal. Was I right in not moving my car and arguing with a crazy old lady? Anyways when I got back the truck was still there so I guess I won.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.798328,-95.399137,3a,75y,79.5h,85.45t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s4wdRDf-dQRVHyCDNZaAg7Q!2e0

That's in the right of way, so you're probably OK assuming it's a public space.

That said, it's legal to park on Yale most hours of the day, so whether it was better to argue with an old lady than it was to park 50 feet further up the road is between you and your conscience.