citizen4rmptown

Houston Center Redevelopment

I browsed the thread and didn't see these renders posted. These were released to the public last month. 

Renderings of how Brookfield Properties' Houston Center may look after renovations are completed.  

From Houston Business Journal in late July:
https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/07/25/first-look-more-renderings-of-houston-centers.html

The "social stair" and collaborative space at LyondellBasell Tower.
CGZI2H0.jpg

One of the conference rooms at LyondellBasell Tower
WVHfL9q.jpg

The fitness center at LyondellBasell Tower
E7k2QLv.jpg

Collaborative space at 2 Houston Center
XCCyaiv.jpg

• Like 6

More on Brookfield Properties' Houston Center renovations in downtown Houston.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/07/25/first-look-more-renderings-of-houston-centers.html

The lobbies of LyondellBasell Tower and 2 Houston Center will feature tenant lounges, which will be flanked by these conference facilities:

LyondellBasell Tower: six bookable tenant conference rooms with A/V capabilities — three of which are scalable for a combined seating capacity for up to 231 people — situated around a social staircase – an architectural feature to encourage employees to sit, relax and congregate, per the release.

2 Houston Center: two boardroom-style meeting rooms with A/V capabilities; two huddle rooms for more informal break-out meetings, which seat six to 14 people per room; plus "ample public seating areas for tenants to collaborate," the release states.

The fitness center will be located in LyondellBasell Tower and will be open to all Houston Center tenants. It will feature floor-to-ceiling windows with views of the new central plaza greenspace below, fitness equipment, locker rooms with towel service, a secluded space for private workouts and access to on-demand virtual fitness classes, per the release.

I was just talking to a friend about how behind Houston is when it comes to the merging of work and play spaces in their office buildings. He was complaining about his employer (a large oil company) moving their campus (hes younger) and was blaming it on the company moving to where people lived. I don't know if that is the case.

My thought is that these large oil and gas and startups are competing for the same workers that are looking at startups in Austin/Boston/SF where companies have already embraced the beer fridges, the lounges with ping pong tables, the huddle rooms, the on-site gyms, the yoga during lunch-times, and on-site food halls. A friend of mine does headhunting for 25-35 year old engineers/researches and they are looking for generally the same ^ stuff. They pay the premium to live downtown (close to work) and their potential office is a couple blocks away and you don't have the foresight to have a secure bike area and showers/changing room? Hard pass. I don't think the companies that left Downtown Houston will ever come back, but its good that these office spaces have recognized that they were 20 years behind the times. I just hope they don't skimp out on anything because they cant afford to anymore. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, X.R. said:

I was just talking to a friend about how behind Houston is when it comes to the merging of work and play spaces in their office buildings. He was complaining about his employer (a large oil company) moving their campus (hes younger) and was blaming it on the company moving to where people lived. I don't know if that is the case.

My thought is that these large oil and gas and startups are competing for the same workers that are looking at startups in Austin/Boston/SF where companies have already embraced the beer fridges, the lounges with ping pong tables, the huddle rooms, the on-site gyms, the yoga during lunch-times, and on-site food halls. A friend of mine does headhunting for 25-35 year old engineers/researches and they are looking for generally the same ^ stuff. They pay the premium to live downtown (close to work) and their potential office is a couple blocks away and you don't have the foresight to have a secure bike area and showers/changing room? Hard pass. I don't think the companies that left Downtown Houston will ever come back, but its good that these office spaces have recognized that they were 20 years behind the times. I just hope they don't skimp out on anything because they cant afford to anymore. 

Agreed.  At 1100 Louisiana, they are sprucing up the lobby and adding a gym, secure bike area, and dry cleaner, all in the former Massa's space across the street for all the tenants to use for free (not the dry cleaning obviously).  I just wish they had this 15 years ago!

• Like 2

This is going to look so much better. I'm not going to miss the old facade at all. It looks so dated and heavy sitting next to the renovation work.

• Like 3

On 8/7/2019 at 2:56 PM, X.R. said:

On 8/7/2019 at 10:50 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

More on Brookfield Properties' Houston Center renovations in downtown Houston.

The lobbies of LyondellBasell Tower and 2 Houston Center will feature tenant lounges, which will be flanked by these conference facilities:

LyondellBasell Tower: six bookable tenant conference rooms with A/V capabilities — three of which are scalable for a combined seating capacity for up to 231 people — situated around a social staircase – an architectural feature to encourage employees to sit, relax and congregate, per the release.

2 Houston Center: two boardroom-style meeting rooms with A/V capabilities; two huddle rooms for more informal break-out meetings, which seat six to 14 people per room; plus "ample public seating areas for tenants to collaborate," the release states.

The fitness center will be located in LyondellBasell Tower and will be open to all Houston Center tenants. It will feature floor-to-ceiling windows with views of the new central plaza greenspace below, fitness equipment, locker rooms with towel service, a secluded space for private workouts and access to on-demand virtual fitness classes, per the release.

You make a great point.  Both my kids are 20-something engineers, and while their workplaces are considered among Forbes' "best companies to work for" with onsite amenities to combine work and play, the hours that they put in working leaves little time for play.  So much so that burnout and turnover among the young engineers is very high.  I almost wonder if the amenities are more of a ploy to just keep you at work longer.  It reminds me of a modern take on company towns like Hershey, PA where the workers lived, worked and played in the town, which also kept their earnings going back to the company's bottom line. 

• Like 3

On 8/19/2018 at 3:03 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

There may be changes coming to The Shops at Houston Center in downtown Houston, 1200 McKinney St.

Renderings from BCV Architecture + Interiors' website show redevelopment plans for The Shops at Houston Center. JP Morgan / Trademark Properties are listed as clients.

From the website:

Bridge Market is the re-envisioning of the 130,000 SF third level of The Shops at Houston Center’s existing food court and interior retail mall. BCV's design positions Bridge Market as an eclectic new social space for Downtown, with sophisticated food and beverage offerings in a variety of distinct venues: Food Hall, Bridge Cafe and Garden Bar, Market Hall, and a grand central bar. 

The rest of Bridge Market provides space for gathering, relaxation and play in the Living Room and Nave. Curated retail spaces round out the complete package of services and amenities, all of which are designed to serve the adjacent co-working spaces, the entire Houston Center complex, and the Downtown area at large.

http://bcvarch.com/bridge-market-at-houston-center
https://web.archive.org/web/20180819200014/http://bcvarch.com/bridge-market-at-houston-center (archive link)

The plans for Bridge Market are back online at BCV Architecture's website. It was taken offline earlier this year, but was reupped either  in late July or early August. I saw it last month & forgot to post about it. 

http://bcvarch.com/projects/commercial-community/marketplaces/bridge-market-at-houston-center/ (archive link)

These are/were  redevelopment plans for The Shops at Houston Center  n downtown Houston, 1200 McKinney St.

• Like 6