SMUrban

^^^ $250mm could very easily encompass a brand new tower.  are you sure cloud?  thats a heck of a lot of dollars just to enhance a streetscape / pedestrian experience.  maybe they will loan some funds over to the FOUR SEASONS.... they are need of a lot of enhancements.....

• Like 1

Yesterday I was walking next to Houston Center (the shops at Houston center - don't remember which number that is) and noticed there's big plastic panels that seem perfectly sized to be windows. Were there street level windows that were removed? That could really enhance its street level presence.

I think you're describing the old Strip House, which IIRC, is under renovation to become a Pappadeaux.

Like its neighbor Tejas Grille, will have access both inside and from the street. That could help add to the pedestrian experience lol

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 2

I think you're describing the old Strip House, which IIRC, is under renovation to become a Pappadeaux.

Like its neighbor Tejas Grille, will have access both inside and from the street. That could help add to the pedestrian experience lol

I thought Pappadeux's was opening up in the Marriot?

Strip House was nice, shame it didn't make it.

• Like 2

7 is what i was told lockmat. yeah, this would be huge for downtown. i wish i got more details than just a few renderings on the slides and some numbers they dropped.

and geez.. the Pappas are taking over!

btw. if no one has caught on yet. there was absolutely no sign of 6 Houston Center in what i saw. looks like they are focusing their efforts on this instead.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 3

I would much prefer a revamp of the Houston Center's street presence over a mini 609 Main. While the Buildings in the Houston Center are nice, the whole idea behind it is dated and a way of thinking for street presence that must go the way of the dodo.

Totally agree. This would increase the attractiveness of downtown ten fold. On top of that, you would think 6 HC would also upgrade their floor level plans as well.

Having them own all those blocks and wanting to do something about it is a huge plus since they don't need buy-in from multiple owners.

This will increase their asking rates as well. People will love working there and the HC complex would be the envy of the town. I don't think I'm being over the top about this either, if they do it right.

And cloud, they're all contingent too, right? I hope so, that's what I'm assuming.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 2

They did a very modest renovation of The Park Shops about ten years ago with the stated goal of making it more interactive with the street, as the buzz was in the air about Houston becoming a more pedestrian-oriented downtown. But City Centre has proven that outdoor urban retail can be successful in Houston, as successful or more than a mall. This combined with the downtown residential boom could spur a more drastic makeover.

Houston Center is in the unique position of controlling so many blocks, and having all those blocks positioned smack dab in between Main Street and Discovery Green. If they wanted to turn McKinney and Lamar into retail streets, they could succeed in a way that Dallas Street can't, because these streets are surrounded by towers full of office workers while Dallas Street is on the fringe. The same is true of making The Park Shops an indoor/outdoor mall - it would have much more chance of success than GreenStreet.

My guess is that they'll again err on the side of caution and not stray far from the very business-y conservative feel of Houston Center. Their concern first and foremost is to create an attractive environment for their office tenants. But at some point, the calculus of what makes a place attractive to office tenants has to include streets that aren't a total dead zone, especially if those tenants are single or under 40.

• Like 4

the plans focus on the first few floors, and eliminate most of the existing tower set backs (minus a few much smaller pedestrian mingling areas) by bumping the lower floors out to the sidewalk with new retail areas.

the project is not too unlike what they seem to be trying to achieve with the pedestrian experience in the most recent Allen Center renderings.

• Like 3

please remember HAIF, cloud has stated that the numbers were $250mm.  that is a whole lot of money, as per a whole lot of ambiguity.  HOUSTON CENTER, is well aware that the SUPER BOWL is venturing forth.  many of their properties shall be front and center.  especially the PARK SHOPS.  that place is in dire need of a complete retail makeover.  please remember everyone, one of the primary stipulations / selling points, as per houston's SUPER BOWL committee's narrative.... was to incorporate a ten day pre SUPER BOWL celebration at DISCOVERY GREEN.  this was touted as a never done before celebration, that actually catapulted houston over the florida delegation.  

need i remind everyone of just what particular edifice stands right in front of DISCOVERY GREEN besides the OPP?  that's right, THE PARK SHOPS!  as it currently stands... it looks like a forbidding tomb.  this place needs to be opened up, and infused with a bit of HI DEF GLAMOUR.  

cloud, did the powers that be at the HC, indicate a time frame as per their forthcoming announcement.  i think that this startling revelation, shall be a BIG TIME PLUS for downtown houston..... at the right time.

• Like 5

The old Strip House location does not currently have interior access, however, they are building out something right beside the interior entrance to Jos A Bank that could logically reach back to that area. It has no "coming soon" or anything on it that I have seen.  Pappa_____would be good, whatever variety might actually get in there.

• Like 1

The old Strip House location does not currently have interior access, however, they are building out something right beside the interior entrance to Jos A Bank that could logically reach back to that area. It has no "coming soon" or anything on it that I have seen. Pappa_____would be good, whatever variety might actually get in there.

It is definitely Pappas Steakhouse. It's even shown on the Houston Center retail leasing map.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

http://realtynewsreport.com/2017/12/04/brookfield-acquires-houston-center-for-875-million-major-redevelopment-planned/

HOUSTON – (By Ralph Bivins, Realty News Report) – Brookfield Property Partners has finalized its acquisition Houston Center, a collection of four downtown skyscrapers and a 200,000-SF retail center.

The $875 million sale of the 4.2 million SF Houston Center is one of the biggest real estate transactions ever completed in Houston.

Brookfield is expected to spend heavily – well in excess of $50 million – for a redo of Houston Center, which was constructed in the 1970s and 1980s.

“The focus of our redevelopment efforts is going to be on enhancing the overall tenant experience,” said Travis Overall, Executive Vice President and Head of the Texas Region for Brookfield. “Specifically, we want to expand and improve the offering of amenities and redefine the public areas- lobbies, skybridges and plazas.”

HC-cropped-000009505833Large_4crop.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Good news,  Brookfield seems more capable of good urban redevelopment than the prior owners.

I wonder what this means for the 6HC site. I'd much prefer a swanky glass residential high-rise there to compliment Houston Center.

• Like 3