SMUrban

:lol::lol::lol:

They're right about the line. The Chipotle downstairs here takes twice as long, and their line looks shorter than the Doozo line.

I didn't know there was a Chipotle there. Okay, I am not gonna get derailed with thoughts of their delicious pork burrito.

And I certainly am not gonna drive downtown for THEM!

Edited by houstonmacbro

I didn't know there was a Chipotle there. Okay, I am not gonna get derailed with thoughts of their delicious pork burrito.

And I certainly am not gonna drive downtown for THEM!

At the Rice Hotel. Doozo is good, but driving here just for them... you must love food.

Okay, my partner and I just got back from lunch at The Shops downtown. I had been hearing about this place on the food court that has dumplings. Asian dumplings. At Doozo's you can get 10 for like $5 and they come with this vinegary hot sauce. When I was on jury duty and ate there, the line was out the door, so I decided I would come back when I had more times.

Well, the people didn't lie. The dumplings were wonderful. I split mine so had 5 veggie and 5 pork. They are big, moist, hot and fresh! The sauce is hot, but not so much and it is kind of a blend between vinegar, sugar, a little salty and spicy. Not too spicy though. Was there another sauce I should have gotten? Probably.

Was it worth a trip to The Shops? Not sure, but it was a nice day, a nice trip into town, and I was also able to hit the Borders' Discount books for a few late birthday gifts.

• 2 months later...

I'm excited about HP, but there's something that I'm more excited about...

Healthy competition. Houston Center is now going to have to up its game to keep the lunchtime patrons. So much so that they'll seriously have to think about expanding their hours to evenings and maybe even weekends. Then they'll also have to diversify their retail offerings to lure people away from the one or two good ones that HP has. We've set the stage for a restaurant and retail war for downtown Houston, but it's a war that everyone is going to win.

Edited by totheskies

I'm excited about HP, but there's something that I'm more excited about...

Healthy competition. Houston Center is now going to have to up its game to keep the lunchtime patrons. So much so that they'll seriously have to think about expanding their hours to evenings and maybe even weekends. Then they'll also have to diversify their retail offerings to lure people away from the one or two good ones that HP has. We've set the stage for a restaurant and retail war for downtown Houston, but it's a war that everyone is going to win.

I really wished they were open on weekends. I've always thought they could have those electric helicopter competitions in all that open air space they have. That could be a big draw.

Ok, im not saying im going to HP just to buy me some pants,

but i like to go to downtown as much as possible and if

all i see is a food court at HP then that will be dissapointing

(yes im exaggerating, i know theres forever 21 and HOB and more besides restaurants)

Look, nobody shops there. Several retail establishments have failed in Houston Center, because people go there to eat, not shop. Maybe Discovery Tower, Discovery Green, and Pavilions will change that and bring more shoppers down and ultimately to Houston Center, but for now opening a retail establishment in Houston Center is generally a bad idea.

And yes, Doozo is so fantastic.

The sauce was yummy. Tell me ... exactly what are those veggies? I thought it was spinach, but then I wasn't so sure.

Spinach, tiny noodles, and a little tofu.

The sauce comes in normal, spicy, or extra spicy. I like spicy, but they're all really good.

Those guys are like the dumpling nazis, though! You'd better know exactly what you want when you get to the front, because they will not wait at all, and any question you ask will not be answered when they've got a line. That's probably mostly a matter of necessity more than them being rude, because they get so much business. "Half and half with 2 spicies" is my order, and has never failed me.

Look, nobody shops there. Several retail establishments have failed in Houston Center, because people go there to eat, not shop. Maybe Discovery Tower, Discovery Green, and Pavilions will change that and bring more shoppers down and ultimately to Houston Center, but for now opening a retail establishment in Houston Center is generally a bad idea.

And yes, Doozo is so fantastic.

The big reason that nobody shopped there was because the stores were lame. Radio Shack, Hallmark, a lottery/cigarette place and that was pretty much it. I went there a few times back in the 1999-2003 time frame and was continually disappointed. It only catered to the immediate needs of office workers. Without something special, there's no reason to go there.

Looking at the list of merchants there today, it doesn't look like much has changed.

Banks - 5

Gift stores - 9

Convenience stores - 4

Restaurants - 28

Clothing for office workers - 4

It's going to need more than a Jos. A. Bank to get people in there. And I see that both the crappy Radio Shack and the crappy Hallmark store are still there. At least they finally came into the 80's and got a Starbucks.

If HP puts the Shops at Houston Center out of business, it will be no great loss.

• Like 1

The big reason that nobody shopped there was because the stores were lame. Radio Shack, Hallmark, a lottery/cigarette place and that was pretty much it. I went there a few times back in the 1999-2003 time frame and was continually disappointed. It only catered to the immediate needs of office workers. Without something special, there's no reason to go there.

That's not the only reason. Who wants to pay $10 to park to go shopping in a mall when there are a dozen malls where you can park for free, convenient or no? Actually I think HP might run into the same problem, which is probably why they are leaning the focus heavily on restaurants and venues and very gently on shopping establishments.

That's not the only reason. Who wants to pay $10 to park to go shopping in a mall when there are a dozen malls where you can park for free, convenient or no? Actually I think HP might run into the same problem, which is probably why they are leaning the focus heavily on restaurants and venues and very gently on shopping establishments.

Good point about the parking. I always walked there, so I didn't think of it.

Do any of the shops at Houston Center validate parking? Do any of the ones in HP?

I was surprised when I visited L.A. a few weeks ago that every restaurant or business I went into offered to validate my parking. In that respect, they really know what they're doing there.

Good point about the parking. I always walked there, so I didn't think of it.

Do any of the shops at Houston Center validate parking? Do any of the ones in HP?

I was surprised when I visited L.A. a few weeks ago that every restaurant or business I went into offered to validate my parking. In that respect, they really know what they're doing there.

me too , I've always walked to the shops...So what are the possible scenarios that might happen to theS@HC

1. Out of business?<25%

2. More retail will come to challenge that of HP's? <25%

3. Extended Weekend and Week Day Hours? 50%

4. (insert here) (> <)--%

me too , I've always walked to the shops...So what are the possible scenarios that might happen to theS@HC

1. Out of business?<25%

2. More retail will come to challenge that of HP's? <25%

3. Extended Weekend and Week Day Hours? 50%

4. (insert here) (> <)--%

I would say it would just stumble on as a really big food court.

• 6 years later...

Yesterday I was walking next to Houston Center (the shops at Houston center - don't remember which number that is) and noticed there's big plastic panels that seem perfectly sized to be windows.  Were there street level windows that were removed?  That could really enhance its street level presence.

• Like 1