SMUrban

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Posts about Highlight at Houston Center (formerly The Shops at Houston Center) from another topic:

12 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I wonder what The Shops at Houston Centers hours will be once they’re fully open. There needs to be some signage or something to let people knows what’s inside that building. 

9 hours ago, jhjones74 said:

While I’d love more of the restaurants to be open later, I doubt there’s enough traffic yet for Potbelly or Chick-fil-A as an example to stay open later past the lunch rush. Around 10,000 people live downtown, plus let’s say on average another 5,000 visiting downtown each night (might be generous). Would any of those restaurants, let alone all of them, be able to thrive in a city of only 15,000 people? Because likely nobody from outside of downtown will come to grab something to eat there unless they’re visiting for some other reason, especially if it’s just chain restaurants that exist elsewhere. Will be interesting to see if Puttshack brings in more people, I have yet to see anybody using Immersive Gamebox, though I haven’t been on a weekend night

On 3/24/2023 at 3:47 PM, hindesky said:

Fans of Federal American Grill will probably be delighted the restaurant is opening an outpost downtown.

Hopefully the new location in the Highlight at Houston Center ( 1221 McKinney St, Suite G-100 ) will attract more people here.

Does anyone know where this is going exactly? Is it planned for the fourth level?

On 1/25/2023 at 9:03 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Fourth level retail site plan

zvWrNZY.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Fans of Federal American Grill will probably be delighted the restaurant is opening an outpost downtown.

Hopefully the new location in the Highlight at Houston Center ( 1221 McKinney St, Suite G-100 ) will attract more people here.

Does anyone know where this is going exactly? Is it planned for the fourth level?

Federal American Grill is going in the ground floor of Lyondell Basel Tower, across the street from the Highlight.  1221 McKinney, Suite G100.

• Like 3

Just walked through and the new Highlight signs and the entrances are much more inviting with the lighting. The only thing open was the game place. The march madness fest is really annoying because they are blocking discovery green and all the streets. If you want to walk from the Hilton to the Marriot you have to go all the way to Austin street or Chartres street. There were some tourists that looked very confused.

Edited by staresatmaps
  • Like 6

Random thoughts: sorry no pics, was walking by after March Madness Music Festival. 

1. It looks nice from the outside but it could’ve (and should’ve) been so much better. If only we had gotten the version of the renovation plans prior to Brookfield scaling this back. I’ll still take what we got, the rear entrance being closer to Discovery Green & should attract visitors depending on hours of operation. 

2. The LyondelBasell tower renovation is what really changes and improves this block. Federal American Grill and its huge patio should help even more. 

3. Puttshack has a very large marquee space in the front of Highlight (Park Shops) that should definitely liven this entire development more than it ever has been in its history. With its clubby vibes and lighting, it’ll definitely be noticeable at night from the street. Hopefully it’s success translates into filling the other vacant street level spaces (like Tejas Grill) 

Edited by tigereye
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I walked The Highlight last weekend an I was not impressed tbh. Puttshack is cool and should help but everything else is just lipstick. The third floor is exactly the same and the current tenants are less than impressive. Is there plans to renovate the third floor as well?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

I walked The Highlight last weekend an I was not impressed tbh. Puttshack is cool and should help but everything else is just lipstick. The third floor is exactly the same and the current tenants are less than impressive. Is there plans to renovate the third floor as well?

I don't expect the current tenants to be all that fills the space. I already saw more foot traffic because of Immersive Gamebox and I'm sure Puttshack will help continue to draw people regularly as well. I also wasn't expecting much in terms of the interior but as more people come I'm sure more features will be added. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I don't expect the current tenants to be all that fills the space. I already saw more foot traffic because of Immersive Gamebox and I'm sure Puttshack will help continue to draw people regularly as well. I also wasn't expecting much in terms of the interior but as more people come I'm sure more features will be added. 

The Gamebox wasn’t bad and I like the idea. They should fill this place with as much entertainment options as possible. This is wishful thinking but how cool would it be to turn something like this into an entertainment hub. Each suite offering a different experience like virtual golf, virtual baseball, virtual racing, putt putt, escape rooms, laser tag, bowling, themed bars, rainforest cafe type restaurant, game show experience etc etc. all under one roof-  it would be a big ass mall but for entertainment experiences. Maybe it wouldn’t make enough money on weekdays to be feasible, but it would be nice to have something like that downtown 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ok dream over. 

Edited by nate4l1f3
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

The Gamebox wasn’t bad and I like the idea. They should fill this place with as much entertainment options as possible. This is wishful thinking but how cool would it be to turn something like this into an entertainment hub. Each suite offering a different experience like virtual golf, virtual baseball, virtual racing, putt putt, escape rooms, laser tag, bowling, themed bars, rainforest cafe type restaurant, game show experience etc etc. all under one roof-  it would be a big ass mall but for entertainment experiences. Maybe it wouldn’t make enough money on weekdays to be feasible, but it would be nice to have something like that downtown 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ok dream over. 

I honestly don't think the idea is too far from reality. While they didn't do extensive renovation to the inside, it's still a much more inviting place from the outside and I think that was the bigger problem. Over time as foot traffic increases downtown, this will evolve in to much more. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, hindesky said:

Orange Taco which started as a food truck is moving in.

X2BY6m6.pngmkpFOLc.png

Great find, @hindesky. I'm looking forward to this. Orange Taco will be a good addition to Highlight at Houston Center.

Is the forthcoming location of Orange Taco's restaurant on the third level? I'm assuming so since the address is 1200 McKinney St, Ste 321.

On 9/2/2023 at 8:03 PM, hindesky said:

X2BY6m6.pngmkpFOLc.png

Following the filing of an architectural barriers project with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR), a plan review fee permit was filed yesterday for Orange Taco.  The food truck is opening a brick-and-mortar eatery at 1200 McKinney St, Ste 321.

Orange Taco is one of several new retail and dining additions for Highlight at Houston Center.

aPqy8VX.png

On 9/2/2023 at 8:03 PM, hindesky said:

X2BY6m6.pngmkpFOLc.png

On 9/7/2023 at 1:09 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Following the filing of an architectural barriers project with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR), a plan review fee permit was filed yesterday for Orange Taco.  The food truck is opening a brick-and-mortar eatery at 1200 McKinney St, Ste 321.

Orange Taco is one of several new retail and dining additions for Highlight at Houston Center.

aPqy8VX.png

Houston Business Journal reports on additional dining options on the horizon for Highlight at Houston Center. As previously noted Orange Taco, a local food truck, is opening a brick-and-mortar eatery at 1200 McKinney St, Ste 321.

The Houston Business Journal article has no mention of the projected opening for the new restaurants.

Below is an excerpt from today's article:

"New York-based Brookfield Properties has landed two new restaurant tenants for The Highlight at Houston Center, the retail portion of the Houston Center office complex downtown formerly known as The Shops at Houston Center.

Orange Taco, an Asian-Mexican fusion taco restaurant, and Aloha Poke, a Hawaiian-inspired poke bowl restaurant, will both open on the third level of the food court."

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/09/12/the-highlight-adds-orange-taco-aloha-poke-co.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...