Buffalo Bayou Police Trying To Confiscate 3 Year Olds Scooter Plus Write Citation

This past week, Very strange thing happened at Buffalo Bayou Park close to Steele dog park.

Grandkids from out of town (Manhattan) using scooters( kick plank scooter-non motorized-powered only by kid) The Park police tell my daughter that scooters are not allowed on bike path  or will be cited for violating ordinance but must to to skateboard/ rollarblade park----the three year old is just out of stroller stage and wouldn't be able to do much in skateboard park. The Policeman told us he would give us a break by not confiscating the kick plank scooter.

I tried to look up the ordinances-- but only found for "motorized" scooters----nothing about kick planks---- what's up with this? This is the first time I'm hearing that small kids scooters aren't allowed.

On this page http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/parkrules.htmlit does indeed say scooters are against the rules in parks, and I assume the trails count as parks. However, a cop who would cite a 3 year old for having a scooter must be named Richard. If you run across this idiot again, have him call a supervisor out to explain why he thinks it's cool to threaten to ticket a 3 year old. I would prefer they spend their time ticketing people who let their dogs off the leash in parks, and fail to pick up poop.

I would also send a complaint to your council member with a request that the ordinance be changed to allow kids under 12 to use scooters

Thanks for looking up scooters--- but there is no explanation of "scooter" and it seems so silly for under 5 year olds to be delegated to the skaters park.

Here's a picture of the three scooters used that day-- all "kick plank"   our  4 year old and 5 year old grandchildren were  up ahead of the 3 year old when this all happened. 

post-6399-0-31243000-1429325770_thumb.jp

I wouldn't be surprised if that Ordinance is very old. I also wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't written by someone who feels like those who bike are above those who use other no motorized means of transportation. Just like cars who feel they are far more superior to those on motorcycles, bicycles are the same when it comes to scooters, skateboards, etc.. It may be called a "bike lane", but it should be used for all types of no motorized vehicles.

As for the cop, I think the guy either had a very bad day or he is just another bully disguised as a cop. A real shame. I respect cops but some who join the force simply like to have authority over others.

You should definitely report it if it happens again and try to get the ordinance changed. Not just 12 and under, but for many who use other non-motorized vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Buffalo Bayou Police Trying To Confiscate 3 Year Olds Scooter Plus Write Citation

Archived