Hockey in Houston?

The last "major" hockey team was the Houston Aeros, who brought home two league championships before folding in 1978. Houston has also had a minor league hockey team, but they got kicked out of Toyota Center two years ago and relocated to another city. Now the talk is hot and heavy about bringing an NHL franchise to Houston - but the NHL spurned the Aeros in 1978, and the recent closing of a minor league team for lack of local support doesn't look good (and even after four championships, the WNBA couldn't make it in Houston). So what's it going to take to bring the Aeros back? (My guess - a deep-pocketed owner, which is who Drayton McLane and Bob McNair were).

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/04/study-houston-considered-best-market-to-add-an-nhl-team/#29954101=0

I would have not expected professional lacrosse in Houston except for the MLL's plans to bring the All-Star Game to BBVA. Lacrosse is very much an East Coast game. None of the Houston schools have much of a lacrosse tradition.

As for hockey, Quebec had a team and it left for bigger gates elsewhere.

It's interesting that ACBJ rated all the possible cities for the NHL and put Houston on top of the list. Happenstance?

I saw the aeros play at the compaq center a lot. I got to meet a lot of the players and even saw the battle for the Stanley cup against Chicago. As a kiddo it was interesting, and I liked hockey more than baseball. Now I don't care for any sports, but the stadium always seemed busy and full of fans. There are a lot of northern transplants from the Midwest and Canada, so I'm surprised it didn't last.

I would have not expected professional lacrosse in Houston except for the MLL's plans to bring the All-Star Game to BBVA. Lacrosse is very much an East Coast game. None of the Houston schools have much of a lacrosse tradition.

As for hockey, Quebec had a team and it left for bigger gates elsewhere.

It's interesting that ACBJ rated all the possible cities for the NHL and put Houston on top of the list. Happenstance?

The list was missing Seattle which has the backing of billionaires. That is definitely the next city to get a team.

Quebec has an arena and badly wants another team.

Archived