United Airlines

brain

Emirates has a big advantage.  Their government pays for their fuel.  United spend $7 billion for fuel last year.  Emirates, Qatar, and Ethiad are a big threat.  Emirates ordered 100 777-300ER they are ready to compete.  If our government paid for fuel to  US carriers, you would not see bag fees. 

Don't forget about Turkish Airlines which is a national airline, and Air China (not sure if national or not). I know a lot of people that take Turkish instead just because of cheaper fares. I wouldn't be surprised if Etihad started flying out of Houston at some point too now that it bought a piece of Jet Airways in addition to pieces of other small airlines. The more competition the better for the consumers.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Air China, Air Canada, Us Airways, Lufthansa and Turkish airlines are Star Alliance members.  They feed passengers through IAH to United Airlines and vice versa. 

To an extent you're right but they compete on many of the same routes like IAH-DEL, using a different stop instead of Newark. For example Turkish offers promotional fares for $800 to DEL, which costs around $2000 on United. Also Lufthansa, Air China also go to DEL, just with a different stop, but same origin and destination. This is for many destinations. So in a way they are undercutting each other.

Be careful with promotional fares because you may not earn miles on the partner.  If you do not care about earning miles, they buy the lower ticket. :)

Yea they did at one point but the mileage charts keep changing. However if the prices are low enough to where the miles you don't accrue offset then it works out. I got a ticket for $861 to Delhi you can't beat that.

Sorry I meant DME (Moscow).

Is there not already a direct flight to Moscow?

Emirates has a big advantage. Their government pays for their fuel. United spend $7 billion for fuel last year. Emirates, Qatar, and Ethiad are a big threat. Emirates ordered 100 777-300ER they are ready to compete. If our government paid for fuel to US carriers, you would not see bag fees.
Who cares who payed for their fuel. If it brings competition that translates to cheaper fares for the consumer bring it on! :) And if our government subsidized our airline costs the balance would have to come from somewhere and we would ultimately foot the bill through taxes. In the end, we are a capitalists nation and the more profit you can squeeze out of a product the better return for the share holders and whatnot. So I don't believe that the government offsetting some of the operating cost for our airlines would translate to lower fares for us in this day and time.

I could see BOM/DEL, maybe even JNB but I doubt UA is going to try and fly to DME again. They had the IAD-DME flight and it wasn't a winner, even with no to little competition. UA going up against SQ out of IAH would be a little asinine.

And I think you mean the maintenance base for the 787s will be at IAH. Once they start a couple more flights with them out of LAX they will need a number of the planes and crews based there.

As far as Emirates, their advantage is not just government subsidized fuel, it's that they are essentially an extension of the government, owned by an investment subsidiary. While this has brought competition it is also forcing a lot of carriers, KLM, Lufthansa, etc. to reconsider their cost structures and expansion. Emirates has brought down the price on certain markets but they've also sliced away margins in markets where prices were already cheap.

I'd be fine with seeing an EK A380 here in Houston though.

I could see BOM/DEL, maybe even JNB but I doubt UA is going to try and fly to DME again. They had the IAD-DME flight and it wasn't a winner, even with no to little competition. UA going up against SQ out of IAH would be a little asinine.

And I think you mean the maintenance base for the 787s will be at IAH. Once they start a couple more flights with them out of LAX they will need a number of the planes and crews based there.

As far as Emirates, their advantage is not just government subsidized fuel, it's that they are essentially an extension of the government, owned by an investment subsidiary. While this has brought competition it is also forcing a lot of carriers, KLM, Lufthansa, etc. to reconsider their cost structures and expansion. Emirates has brought down the price on certain markets but they've also sliced away margins in markets where prices were already cheap.

I'd be fine with seeing an EK A380 here in Houston though.

Turkish has been offering insane fares

Lufthansa Airlines is suing Emirates because they want more slots at the new Berlin Airport, but Emirates will not give them any more slots in DXB.  Lufthansa knows what a threat they are.  Like I said before you may get a low fare on any partner.  It may not be eligible to earn MileagePlus miles. Emirates has one hub, and ordered another 100 777-300ERs.  They want to be the Atlanta in the middle east.  

Yep, I took advantage of one.

TK badly wants to be the next EK.

United and other Star Alliance haven't matched the TK fares, though some competition has (KLM-AF).

Me too, $861 to DEL

Lufthansa Airlines is suing Emirates because they want more slots at the new Berlin Airport, but Emirates will not give them any more slots in DXB.  Lufthansa knows what a threat they are.  Like I said before you may get a low fare on any partner.  It may not be eligible to earn MileagePlus miles. Emirates has one hub, and ordered another 100 777-300ERs.  They want to be the Atlanta in the middle east.  

If you are saving the cash value of miles, MileagePlus miles don't matter at that point. 

This route already exists during the winter, so it's not really a new route. Not complaining about bringing it to the summer though. Easier to get to the mountains, although when I've tried to book this flight during the winter it tends to be very expensive.

It is outrageous. I use to fly this one from time to time with my wife. Now we have two kids with one over the age of two and its just about out of the question.

So drive, who cares. :mellow:   

You're very sensitive about the topic of United, and somewhat unnecessarily argumentative.  For the record, I do drive (from Denver) after flying in on Southwest.  I like to golf and most times it's cheaper to rent a car and drive vs. pay to ship clubs or skis.  As to who cares?  I'm sure both United and Southwest care.   

It was a somewhat less expensive route when Continental was around, although it was still pretty expensive.  I'm sure the landing/take-off fees in a small mountain airport paly a big part of that. 

I'm sorry, did not understand your post since you have two children. Don't forget to enroll them with Rapid Rewards and MileagePlus so they can start earning miles. I did not know Southwest flew there. My nephew is 19 and now has 55,000 MileagePlus miles, he is ready to go to Costa Rica. He enrolled when he was 3 with OnePass.

Well, his parents of course enrolled him.

• 3 weeks later...

United Airlines is First to Install Split Scimitar Winglets spacer.gifNew winglets to improve fuel efficiency by approximately two percent for airline's next generation Boeing 737 fleet High-res photos available on unitedcontinentalholdings.com

CHICAGO, July 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- A United Airlines Boeing 737-800 aircraft retrofitted with the new Split Scimitar Winglet took its maiden test flight Tuesday in Everett, Wash. This advanced winglet improves on the existing blended winglets United currently has on its next generation 737 fleet.

In January, United served as the launch customer for this innovative winglet when it made a firm commitment with Aviation Partners Boeing (APB) to retrofit its 737-800 fleet. In June, United announced its commitment to also retrofit its 737-900ER fleet. Using a newly patented design, the program consists of retrofitting United's Boeing Next Generation 737 Blended Winglets by replacing the aluminum winglet tip cap with a new aerodynamically shaped "Scimitar"™ winglet tip cap and by adding a new Scimitar-tipped ventral strake.

"We are always looking for opportunities to reduce fuel expense by improving the efficiency of our fleet. The Next-Generation 737 Split Scimitar Winglet will provide a natural hedge against rising fuel prices while simultaneously reducing carbon emissions," said United's Vice President of Fleet Ron Baur. "We appreciate APB's focus in helping United become even more fuel efficient."

This new winglet design demonstrates significant aircraft drag reduction over the basic blended winglet configuration United uses on its current fleet. United expects the new Split Scimitar winglet to result in approximately a two percent fuel savings for the 737. Once the Split Scimitar Winglets are installed, the combined winglet technology installed on United's 737, 757, and 767 fleet is expected to save the airline more than $200 million per year in jet fuel costs.

United will begin retrofitting its 737-800 and 737-900ER fleet with the new winglet beginning early next year, once testing and FAA certification of the winglets are complete.

High-resolution images are available for download at unitedcontinentalholdings.com.

The 787's will be based here.  When they build the north side Terminal B and connect it to Terminal C.  United will announce new flights.  IAH to CPT would be nice.  Or the IAH AKL which they drop because of LUV.  Just take note: New Zealand has just 4 million population.  I think they drop it because of the market conditions.  Air New Zealand drop their flight from Brisbane to Los Angeles.  It is always cold down there. :huh:            

Archived