United Airlines

brain

the more i think about it, the more i think the city could spend that money in a much better way, such as helping to pay for the light rails and advancing the university and uptown lines

i want a better airport but i'm not sure it's the best way to spend the money...

Just to be clear, the city is not spending any general revenue money on this project. All of the money going in to this project is generated by the airport.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The south side of B will be a regional jet area with no jetways. The north side will be standard gate area (much like Terminal C). Also in the plans are the eventual building of a FIS (immigration) area in B.

It's disappointing that they are going with no jetways but it's understandable since it will allow them to consolidate all of the RJ flights there and then use all of terminal A for mainline.

It seems odd though that the design of the new Terminal B South isn't consistent with the long term master plan.

It seems odd though that the design of the new Terminal B South isn't consistent with the long term master plan.

Yeah, I think it's odd too, but you can tell the proposed southern piers appear more temporary compared to their wider, more permanent northern counterparts. I believe the southern piers were designed to get the most gates out of the space available until the long term plan comes to fruition.

The south side isn't consistent, but I think they are still trying to segregate the mainline flights from the puddle jumpers for passenger confusion reasons.

As the long term plan comes to fruition and the connect the north side C pier to the south side pier, I can see them moving all regional jets to Terminal A north so that B can be linked.

• 2 months later...

United wants B terminal at Bush

United Airlines would pay $686 million to expand and renovate Bush Intercontinental Airport's Terminal B and gain control over its operations — including concessions — under a deal on Wednesday's City Council agenda.

The city's share of the project will be $288 million, raised through a $3-per-passenger fee the Houston Airport System has been collecting since November 2009.

The city has the cash to pay the $55 million for the project's first phase, but may have to issue bonds to pay for subsequent phases, HAS Director Mario Diaz said. Those bonds would be paid off with continuing proceeds from the fee.

The deal aims to solidify the commitment of the world's largest airline to its largest hub, Diaz said.

I found this while floating around on airliners.net.

• 5 months later...

"Passengers will access the new concourse from the terminal via a 95-foot-wide bridge. It will house 13,000 square feet of food, beverage and retail concessions and will feature 28-foot-high, floor-to-ceiling glass windows, offering views of the tarmac."

"“Bush Intercontinental is the first impression many people have of Houston,” said Mario Diaz, director of the Houston Airport System, in a statement. “We exist to connect people, businesses and economies around the world, and this project will allow for an enhanced customer experience and a stronger gateway for our air service needs.”"

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2012/01/23/houston-airport-system-breaks-ground.html

Where do most Terminal B flights go to?

Also, will this be in the same place as the current terminal or will it be somewhere else?

Yes, same place. The central terminal building actually stays (it will be refurbished/redesigned in a later stage of this Terminal B redevelopment).

In this phase, they will remove the two south "banjos" and replace them with a single wide bridge coming out from the center of the Terminal B central terminal building, then leading to 3 concourses. (I put the links to the renderings in the Terminal B thread).

Terminal B services mostly smaller more regional cities: Shreveport, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Austin, Del Rio, Brownsville, Lafyaette, Lake Charles, Alexandria, Jackson, Little Rock ect. The major hubs (NYC, LA, Chicago, Miami, Seattle, San Francisco as well as international destinations) are usually serviced out of C and E.

• 1 year later...

This route already exists during the winter, so it's not really a new route. Not complaining about bringing it to the summer though. Easier to get to the mountains, although when I've tried to book this flight during the winter it tends to be very expensive.

All of the 787 will be based in IAH.  United will not announce new flights soon.  When they build concourse B north side it will be connected to terminal C for wide bodies.  You may think they gave up on IAH, not so.  It is still the largest hub out of 10. I cannot wait until they announce new flights from IAH.  I watching IAH to DXB to take away Emirates share of the market.    

All of the 787 will be based in IAH.  United will not announce new flights soon.  When they build concourse B north side it will be connected to terminal C for wide bodies.  You may think they gave up on IAH, not so.  It is still the largest hub out of 10. I cannot wait until they announce new flights from IAH.  I watching IAH to DXB to take away Emirates share of the market.    

Why would you want Emirates to loose share of the market? They are thinking of bringing an A380 to Houston anyway.

I'm very curious to see renderings of the north side of the Terminal.  I flew into IAH a couple days ago and it looked pretty good from what I saw.  They are dismantling the second old southern "banjo" terminal. 

Emirates has a big advantage.  Their government pays for their fuel.  United spend $7 billion for fuel last year.  Emirates, Qatar, and Ethiad are a big threat.  Emirates ordered 100 777-300ER they are ready to compete.  If our government paid for fuel to  US carriers, you would not see bag fees. 

Yes, I was told from a employee IAH to BOB, DEL, DVM. and JNB is possible.  When United has 65 787's  and 25 Airbus 350-100's  they will announce new flights.  It is funny that Chicago paid United to move to there.  Now they may go bankrupt like Detroit.

What is DVM?

Archived