United Airlines

brain

I love the possibilities with Star Alliance.

It's a much larger alliance than Skyteam and Continental stands to gain quite a bit because it will be the BEST United States carrier of the bunch. I bet Singapore, Lufthansa, ANA, and the like can't wait to not have to use United or US Airways.

exactly. We really dont lose one single thing from exiting SkyTEAM.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exciting times for IAH.

With feed from both ends I could see LH doing IAH-FRA year round with a 747, probably even upgrade to an A380 during the summer months.

Loads on SQ IAH-DME-SIN should improve drastically.

In the not too distant future I would like to see CA offer PVG-IAH service.

As for the current SkyTeam carriers at terminal D. I

• 1 month later...

Hartmann's point is correct.

Studies have shown that flights originating from a hub airport to a particular destination are often more expensive than flights connecting through that hub to the same destination.

Many hub airports have a dominant airline that hinders competition and limits competitive pricing. This creates a kind of monopoly that allows them to keep local prices higher.

One big advantage to living in a hub city is the variety and frequency of direct flights to many destinations. However, unless a discount carrier flies the same route, you should generally not expect the flights to be discounted.

A hub with several discounters provides the best prices.

• 2 years later...

Just before I left work today, I had a small meeting with other co-workers and I was informed that we, my co-workers, are waiting on a press release from the mayor's office regarding massive reconstruction of Terminal B. Please note that this is speculation on our part. We are not quite sure what is about to be announced but we, our station, thinks it may have something to do with a big project at the big airport. No other info. was readily available. I'll let you know if I hear of anything further.

It is probably having to do with the reconfiguration and expansion of it. From what I know this has been in the works for quite some time, but for some reason it has taken forever to get started.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7576652.html

Back in April 2008, Continental Airlines and the city announced plans to split the $1.2 billion cost of expanding Terminal B from 360,000 to 1.7 million square feet.
Officials are expected to announce that upcoming renovations are similar to those planned back in 2008.

That's a pretty massive upgrade. I wonder how many new gates will be added?

It is probably having to do with the reconfiguration and expansion of it. From what I know this has been in the works for quite some time, but for some reason it has taken forever to get started.

Im betting just like Terminal A a decade ago, the banjo's will be demolished and replaced with a setup similar to Terminal A. Im thinking Terminal B's new gate alignment will connect to Terminal A, but will it also stretch far enough eastward to connect to Terminal C.

Also, if anything else needs a renovation, it's the hotel at the airport. Hopefully, thats a part of this project.

Im betting just like Terminal A a decade ago, the banjo's will be demolished and replaced with a setup similar to Terminal A. Im thinking Terminal B's new gate alignment will connect to Terminal A, but will it also stretch far enough eastward to connect to Terminal C.

Also, if anything else needs a renovation, it's the hotel at the airport. Hopefully, thats a part of this project.

How in the world would that be possible?

The news I always heard that they wanted to add some terminals and get rid/move the to put a terminal in there.

this is great news. i'm not happy about the continental move to chicago but it's good to see that our airport will still get such a massive rennovation. still won't help with that vacancy downtown and some of the houses that will go up for sale pretty much at the same time but still very good news for the city.

How in the world would that be possible?

The news I always heard that they wanted to add some terminals and get rid/move the to put a terminal in there.

The eventual north B concourses will be able to be connected to the northwest concourse of Terminal C and I think that is the plan.

First phase is to remove the "banjos" on the south side of Terminal B and replace them with a 225,000 square foot structure that will connect to the central Terminal B via a single wide bridge (similar to Terminal A in that respect).

The eventual north B concourses will be able to be connected to the northwest concourse of Terminal C and I think that is the plan.

First phase is to remove the "banjos" on the south side of Terminal B and replace them with a 225,000 square foot structure that will connect to the central Terminal B via a single wide bridge (similar to Terminal A in that respect).

What I also meant was that supposedly the Hotel was going to go away.

That's what I get for doing 3 different things in two windows while HAIFing.

Here is the near term plan for Terminal B reconstruction and its eventual connection to Terminal C

25c103d84a9d0cfbb3996e201b74367f.jpg

This is the long term master plan as of 2008. The proposed northern piers on Terminal B in the above diagram, will be in alignment with the future single concourses in the long term plan below. The plan is to eventually have separate concourses, very similar to Atlanta Hartsfield airport. You can also plainly see the Marriott hotel is not part of this plan.

iahmaswp3.jpg

Where are the jetways? I hope this is not a suped up version of the regional jet area in Terminal A. That place is a hell hole.

The planes in the rendering look like regional jets. Welcome to your future.

Have you been to B? It's mostly regional jets already. Like I need a big plane with more people to just sit there for only 2 hours. If you try really really hard, I bet you can survive 2 hours with a drink or a bathroom break too.

I don't know gate counts, but from my experience B cranks out more flights than the other terminals. Maybe not more passengers due to small planes, but more flights. It's just old and poorly laid out, it needs it. I hope they don't have to shut down a ton of it during construction, I fly out of there often and don't like to get there any earlier than I have to. B also has the best shoe shine. That needs to stay intact.

Yeah, Terminal B is for very short flights (Little Rock, Shreveport, Corpus, ect.). Personally, I liked the round terminals. I remember going in there a few times (before 911 when you could go all the way to the gates) and my sister and I running around looking at all the planes. IMO, IAH is probably the most boring airport i have ever been in---and I have been to A LOT of airports.

the more i think about it, the more i think the city could spend that money in a much better way, such as helping to pay for the light rails and advancing the university and uptown lines

i want a better airport but i'm not sure it's the best way to spend the money...

B used to be for shorter flights on ERJs but man, Continental/United loves to put those things on long flights... like Bakersfield, Toronto, Norfolk, Minneapolis, Huatulco, etc... I actually like to barbie jets on flights under 2 hours (easy on and off) but anything longer than that and it starts to feel like the walls are closing in.

The planes in the rendering look like regional jets. Welcome to your future.

The south side of B will be a regional jet area with no jetways. The north side will be standard gate area (much like Terminal C). Also in the plans are the eventual building of a FIS (immigration) area in B.

It's disappointing that they are going with no jetways but it's understandable since it will allow them to consolidate all of the RJ flights there and then use all of terminal A for mainline.

The south side of B will be a regional jet area with no jetways. The north side will be standard gate area (much like Terminal C). Also in the plans are the eventual building of a FIS (immigration) area in B.

It's disappointing that they are going with no jetways but it's understandable since it will allow them to consolidate all of the RJ flights there and then use all of terminal A for mainline.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, looks like this is going to be like the regional jet area of terminal A only with a nicer waiting area and amenities. I never knew that area ever existed at IAH until I took a flight to Monore, LA this past weekend. Fortunately, both the terminal A regional jet area and this 1st phase of the terminal B expansion (south side gates) look to be stop gap temporary structures until the linear terminal alignments are implemented.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, looks like this is going to be like the regional jet area of terminal A only with a nicer waiting area and amenities. I never knew that area ever existed at IAH until I took a flight to Monore, LA this past weekend. Fortunately, both the terminal A regional jet area and this 1st phase of the terminal B expansion (south side gates) look to be stop gap temporary structures until the linear terminal alignments are implemented.

That part of Terminal A is actually pretty new. You used to go to a regular gate where a bus picked you up and drove you to your plane.

Terminal B has a similar type of gate area setup on the north side, between B and C terminals. They call your flight from the "dungeon" (B-84) and scan your BP before you walk down a long hallway to your plane. You just have to make sure it's the right plane ;)

Archived