Mixed-Use Development At 1111 Main St.

Urbannizer

What would be nice is a small book store in downtown...Brown Book Shop is nice for technical books but lacks any variety

Although there were a lot of mixed views about it, we did have a Books-A-Million at GreenStreet (then the Pavillions).

• Like 1

Although there were a lot of mixed views about it, we did have a Books-A-Million at GreenStreet (then the Pavillions).

And before that, there was a bookstore (Book Stop, maybe?)in the Park Shops. I'm not optimistic that retail bookstores that don't have a particular niche have much of a future anywhere.

• Like 1

Rents are generally prohibitive for small book stores in urban centers. Harvard Square once had about 15 booksellers, now it has 1 or 2 outside of the university bookstore, which is obviously not a market-based lease. Rice Village 15 years ago had 3 used booksellers with another one not far away on Bissonnet; now all are gone except Half Price Books.

Then again, Book People in Austin does a thriving business in a prime location next to the Whole Foods, and Powell's Books in Portland occupies a full city block in the heart everything. The lesson seems to be, if the market doesn't support going small, go big.

Also, I wouldn't close the door permanently on brick-and-mortar bookstores, especially not used ones. If vinyl records can make a comeback, so can books.

• Like 2

Its funny how things change. When I was a young boy my parents would go down town on Saturday and take us to the movies at the

Metropolitan or the Loews. We'd then go over to either I think it was called Simpson's diner across the street, or walk over to Walker I believe and go to the James Coney Island and eat dogs at the old school desks. After that my mother would march us over to Foleys or Sakowitz for some things, go down the street for shoes and then get an ice cream treat on Main next to the theaters. That was shopping in Houston when I was a child. Too bad we lost all that when they opened Gulfgate and Meyerland. Then came the really big malls like

Sharpstown and Memorial City which caused everything to close downtown and move out to the burbs.

Its ironic and along with the trolleys and interurbans we had a fairly nice mass transportation system.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rents are generally prohibitive for small book stores in urban centers. Harvard Square once had about 15 booksellers, now it has 1 or 2 outside of the university bookstore, which is obviously not a market-based lease. Rice Village 15 years ago had 3 used booksellers with another one not far away on Bissonnet; now all are gone except Half Price Books.

Then again, Book People in Austin does a thriving business in a prime location next to the Whole Foods, and Powell's Books in Portland occupies a full city block in the heart everything. The lesson seems to be, if the market doesn't support going small, go big.

Also, I wouldn't close the door permanently on brick-and-mortar bookstores, especially not used ones. If vinyl records can make a comeback, so can books.

actual B&M bookstores aren't going to go away completely. Amazon killed quite a few, but what isn't already dead, probably (hopefully) won't die. That is such a good thing.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

nope, which is a sign of bad news to come imo

I am of the opposite opinion.

I would rather this building stay in its current state and evolve into some major retail option if the Dallas Corridor picks up as a shopping district than to demolish it in favor of a souless box which most likely be it's replacement.

• Like 4