Mixed-Use Development At 1111 Main St.

Urbannizer

While I appreciateyour sentiment, the answer is "yes".....

The old retail building was already repurposed "once" as a parking garage. The fact that it can't be repurposed twice is really the shame of it.

What's makes it worse is that there are at least two sites I can think of within a one-block radius that I would rather see redeveloped - the blank parking garage looking at the fountains at Main Street Square, and the convenience store adjacent. The driveway in front of SpringHill Suites also begs for a higher and better use at some point.

But this block has all the attention because it's the entrance to the vaunted Dallas Street retail corridor. The problem is, say you get this building done, what does the rest of your retail corridor look like? You still have at least two more blocks of dead zone running east on the north side of Dallas, and GreenStreet on the south side is not exactly a great pedestrian stretch either.

Annise Parker is a pretty big proponent of historic buildings, which makes me think that if she's willing to let this one go, it must be like Nate said pretty hard to make the economics work to redevelop. Unless you focus on one of those other blocks and wait for circumstances to change. This was the best midcentury retail building on Main. Not as close to people's hearts as Foley's but more handsome and catering to a more selective clientele. It has a weight and solidity to it that makes you think of lofty mid-century postwar dreams of building a grand, secure, enduring city. None of today's ephemeral all-glass decadence. But if you can't find the right user, what do you do?

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Downtown-retail-plan-attracts-potential-developers-6331095.php#photo-8161660

A half dozen groups interested in improving downtown Houston's retail options submitted initial proposals to redevelop the former Sakowitz department store building on Main Street, officials said Tuesday.

The responses from the six groups, which the authority declined to name, are based on a formal request issued earlier this year seeking developers that could demonstrate financial capability, experience and the ability to secure national retailers.

The objective outlined in the request is to create a mixed-use project including some 90,000 square feet of retail space along with residential units or a hotel. The project, which would also include parking, would involve redeveloping 1111 Main and incorporate space in the adjacent 1010 Lamar building. The Main Street building is now being used as a parking garage.

The six responses to the request have been reviewed and a committee has identified a shortlist of groups that have been asked to provide additional information before a final decision is made.

The deadline for the final submissions is Aug. 10, and a deal could be finalized early next year.

• Like 9

Imagine if they made a super tall ala chicago style. Incorporate mixed retail first 3 floors, have some commercial offfices, then make a hotel + condos

Lol, you read my mind.. I sketched up exactly that on sketch up a while back. Oh it would be glorious... And a perfect anchor to the retail district.

The fact that developers are interested is great news! It shows that a little city planning and guidance can do a lot for this city. I'm already drawn to downtown weekly because I love the feel of the city. I will prob be there even more often if they start to establish retail. 

• Like 2

DreamBig.png

everyone now knows that this particular sakowitz block, is probably the most anticipated and magnificent block in all of the TEXAS!

developers have no choice but to go BIG here.  anything less, is an insult to main street....

• Like 3

The fact that developers are interested is great news! It shows that a little city planning and guidance can do a lot for this city.

Planning and incentives. It's always interesting to see how much of a bump makes the difference between a developer putting skin in the game versus not.

I haven't seen what is involved here, but I'd bet those particulars are in the specific proposals.

• Like 3

Lol, you read my mind.. I sketched up exactly that on sketch up a while back. Oh it would be glorious... And a perfect anchor to the retail district.

can you post the sketch again?

lol

why do we always think small in houston? we can dream big right? Are you telling me such a idea wouldnt be a hit? The Marriott down the street is doing really good, was just in there the other day

And it's gonna take money

A whole lot of public money

It's gonna take plenty of money

To do it right...

Paraphrasing George Harrison.

money talks, bs walks. get it done houston!

We already have a lot of apartments under construction downtown, I wouldn't mind if this way waited a year or two. TMC is undergoing another boom which has been coinciding with the oil slump (cheaper construction costs) which will be creating quite a few centrally located jobs. However, we got a lot of units coming along for 2015 that will probably catch up to the amount of high paying jobs needed support inner loop apartments. I see a bright future, but multifamily will probably have a brief pause in my amateur opinion. 

Edited by kdog08

• 3 weeks later...

Downtown RE Update 2Q 2015

The Downtown Redevelopment Authority issued an RFQ seeking a developer to redevelop 1111 Main and 1010 Lamar into a development consisting of the existing office building plus new retail, parking and residential and/or hotel.  The DRA received six responses, and three have been shortlisted, with final proposals due August 10.
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

FWIW - crackhead corner store has been doing some updates lately. New exterior tile work recently completed, signage was removed today at lunch time. I guess this place may survive. Guess the city wants as much retail as it can get.

https://twitter.com/thachadwick/status/641371802665533440

Also - I'm gonna guess this will have an aggressive timeframe if they expect to complete before the Super Bowl. 17 months and counting...

Edited by tigereye

Indeed, great news. The crackhead corner store could be incorporated into the 1111 Main redevelopment...nice spot for a SHAKE SHACK. However, 90K sqft. is small for a big city DT retail store....that would be a rather small Macy's/Nordstrom/Saks. Let's hope it's not another DT inadequate/mediocre retail flop.

That size would be akin to something along the lines of a City Target. Not massive, but decent in size.

• Like 6

Sure hope the retail at this location is something other than a target. downtown shopping district should be something of a destination, not a place to grab some TP and pantene on your way home from work.

With all of the new residential development in Downtown, a target would do really well. Whee else can someone buy some TP and Pantene in downtown? People living in DT, shouldn't have to leave DT to buy basic necessities.

• Like 2

With all of the new residential development in Downtown, a target would do really well. Whee else can someone buy some TP and Pantene in downtown? People living in DT, shouldn't have to leave DT to buy basic necessities.

I don't disagree with anything you said, just the location. This location needs to be something special if it's to be the linchpin of the shopping district.

• Like 2

Let's not forget that there is an urban CVS two blocks from this site downtown where residents can get all of their toiletry needs  :)

CVS_zpsodpvv1ws.jpg

I'll stop by the CVS on my walk home from work when I need things urgently but generally I just use Amazon Prime. I've gotten really good at bulk ordering and I always have two day lead time for items. I only travel outside of downtown for clothing (need to ensure fit) and books / vinyl records (like to support local book / record stores). Everything else ("necessities", electronics, food - Instacart or Favor app), I get delivered.

Let's not forget that there is an urban CVS two blocks from this site downtown where residents can get all of their toiletry needs :)

CVS_zpsodpvv1ws.jpg

Since its conveniently located for me, I do go to that CVS for a variety of reasons and needs. Heck so much, I even got a CVS card recently lol

But if City Target opened up at 1111 Main, CVS may lose some of my business. Urban CVS has some things but due to its space constraints, it can't jam everything in that small store. By comparison, a 90,000 sq ft City Target will likely provide way more goods than the current mini-CVS.

Edited by tigereye