America’s Best Value Inn At 9604 South Main St.

brian0123

Drove by yesterday and they are tearing out all units at 9604 S Main (the old America's Best Value Inn) here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Americas+Best+Value+Inn/@29.679122,-95.426589,3a,75y,305.44h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sBytyiD3zHAWaelOmoKiDYA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xfe8313a5a4dffe69!6m1!1e1

According to HCAD, ownership changed 1/30 of this year to "9604 S Main LTD" w/ an address that matches In-Town Homes. Anyone know what's going on? 

Looks like they did buy that property on Buffalo Speedway - address is 9714 Buffalo Speedway.  It also references 1520 Oliver St (InTown homes)

Obviously we are looking at another large townhome/patio home development, which is certainly an improvement over what was there

"The Pantry" on Buffalo Speedway was a notorious convenience store back in the 1970's. Any underage teenager that wanted to buy beer or wine back then could always count on the clerk to descretly sell to us, with a wink and a warning of "ya'll boys be careful now".

• 4 weeks later...

I drive past the strip shopping center that faces Buffalo Speedway every weekday afternoon. Last week I noticed a fence had been put up around the parking lot. Yesterday I noticed a pile of rubble on the pavement that was apparently from interior demolition. I also saw a Bobcat (the small front-end loader, not the animal) through an opening in the front wall.

I can't imagine interior demolition only is taking place and that the structure is to be saved. Maybe it is just a prelude to the whole thing being knocked down.

I'm not likely to stop to take pictures as I am on my way home and there is no convenient place to stop the car but if I see something compelling I will pull into the Starbucks and shoot a few images.

I drive past the strip shopping center that faces Buffalo Speedway every weekday afternoon. Last week I noticed a fence had been put up around the parking lot. Yesterday I noticed a pile of rubble on the pavement that was apparently from interior demolition. I also saw a Bobcat (the small front-end loader, not the animal) through an opening in the front wall.

I can't imagine interior demolition only is taking place and that the structure is to be saved. Maybe it is just a prelude to the whole thing being knocked down.

I'm not likely to stop to take pictures as I am on my way home and there is no convenient place to stop the car but if I see something compelling I will pull into the Starbucks and shoot a few images.

They did the same thing before tearing down the old apartments at Kirby and S Main (where the new ones are going up north of this). Old stuff is pulled out of all the rooms, they salvage what they can (like mirrors/electronics/fixtures), hazmat the gross stuff (mattresses), clean it out then tear down the walls.

They did the same thing before tearing down the old apartments at Kirby and S Main (where the new ones are going up north of this). Old stuff is pulled out of all the rooms, they salvage what they can (like mirrors/electronics/fixtures), hazmat the gross stuff (mattresses), clean it out then tear down the walls.

That's what I hope they are doing. There is almost nothing in an old building, except the hazardous stuff, than cannot be reused in some way.

You guys aren't going to believe it, but my wife just texted me saying they're currently tearing down the strip mall around the corner from this behind the Starbucks.

They're moving quickly. Odd since the building sat empty for so long. I'll drive by around 6:30 this evening on my way home. It will be interesting to see how far along they are on the demo.

A demo permit was issued 4/16 - not completely sure what this means, though.  Given the connection to Lovett, the condition of the building, and the fact that it abuts 9604 S Main I would be surprised if it is not torn down.  I guess it could wind up being a Lovett Commerial deal, though.

Details   Project No: 15034285 Date : 2015/04/16 00:00:00 USE : DB/COMMERCIAL/DEMO/CERTIFCATE OF COMPLIA Owner/Occupant : DIAZ KAREN Job Address : 9714 BUFFALO SPEEDWAY 77025 Valuation : $ 0 Permit Type : 4P FCC Group : Demo; Other Building(s) Buyer : *HERNANDEZ MONREAL PLUMBING CO Address : 2603 KELLEY ST 77026 Phone :

(713) 691-1383

The plastic sheeting, some of which can be seen in LarryD's second image, now is across the entire front of the building which also seemingly no longer has a wall. That's an odd thing to do prior to demolition unless there is some sort of hazard material remediation going on first.

I doubt the building has asbestos pipe insulation since I saw roof top AC units as late as yesterday. There may be asbestos in the old floor tile though. It wasn't "outlawed" until the mid- to late-1960s. It's hard to tell with the plastic sheeting in place but it looks like the entire interior is essentially gutted.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by yesterday afternoon and the whole building has been 'tented.' There is a small sign taped to a box on the sidewalk that reads "Danger - Keep Out." I believe there is definitely some type of hazardous material (guessing asbestos or lead-based paint) abatement going on inside. This would have to be done whether or not the structure is demolished.

• 2 weeks later...

Subdude... what on earth are those green things? concrete barriers protecting the kiddie pool?

... that gigantic grocery sign and the store on Buffalo Speedway outlasted many others from the 50's-60's. It stood empty for years.

In better days:

Las_Vegas_Motel.jpg

• The title was changed to America’s Best Value Inn At 9604 South Main St.

Archived