Amegy Building Garage At 1801 Main St.

IamHouston

It's not new news around downtown, but thought it was worth a new thread. The Amegy garage across the street will be coming down soon. It has been deemed unstable and more space is needed anyway. Building tenants will potentially have to use near by surface parking lots and maybe even some space within the SkyHouse garage if it can get coordinated.

The new garage being built will potentially house a branch on the bottom floor or maybe just a drive through, that hasn't been decided yet. A new employee training center would be built where the drive through is now.

Another possibility is to leave the drive through that's attached to the building, forgo an actual branch, and designate the bottom floor of the garage as a training center for employees. 

It's not new news around downtown, but thought it was worth a new thread. The Amegy garage across the street will be coming down soon. It has been deemed unstable and more space is needed anyway. Building tenants will potentially have to use near by surface parking lots and maybe even some space within the SkyHouse garage if it can get coordinated.

The new garage being built will potentially house a branch on the bottom floor or maybe just a drive through, that hasn't been decided yet. A new employee training center would be built where the drive through is now.

Another possibility is to leave the drive through that's attached to the building, forgo an actual branch, and designate the bottom floor of the garage as a training center for employees. 

Great information, thanks

• 1 month later...

I seem to have missed this thread.

This is such a visual block in so many aspects. I keep hearing the rule of thumb in real estate is location location location but that doesn't seem to be worth much in Houston unless that location is over the tunnels.

This block is directly across the metro rail southbound stop, and Cady corner from the northbound stop. It is one block away from the transit center, two from megabus, two from greyhound.

If pierce is removed or converted to a park this lot would offer awesome views.

It is also in the midst of a burgeoning residential district both to the north and south.

Surface parking is quickly disappearing in this area, so I guess a garage would be in high demand, but rebuilding just a garage seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

If I were amegy (assuming they own the property, and they were not building a flashy new head quarters in the galaria) I would dig two floors down and build a 12 floor garage (2 underground, 10 above).

on top of that I would build a 22 floor office tower.

I would have the business entrance off of Pierce AND Have convertible options for retail on the 1st floor facing main and St Joseph.

then I would either use the block to the north for expansion with a cool skywalk, or sell it.

Just a dream. In all likelihood amergy's presence downtown might get smaller in the coming years instead of bigger.

I do like the rendering for their uptown tower though.

• 4 years later...

New entrepreneur, accelerator hub to open in downtown Houston

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/10/24/new-entrepreneur-accelerator-hub-to-open-in.html?iana=hpmvp_hstn_news_headline

Central Houston Inc., the Downtown Redevelopment Authority and other Houston firms are teaming up to open a new entrepreneurial hub in downtown Houston.

The Downtown Launch Pad will be a 17,000-square-foot entrepreneurial working space on several floors of the Amegy Bank building at 1801 Main St. in southern downtown, CHI and the DRA announced in an Oct. 24 press release. CHI and the DRA have also partnered with west Houston entrepreneurial campus The Cannon to create "The Cannon Tower at Amegy on Main" — which will house the Launch Pad, per the release.

The Launch Pad will anchored by two startup accelerators that are new to Houston — Boston-based MassChallenge Inc. and Wisconsin-based Gener8tor. The Launch Pad will also feature space for incubators, labs, creatives, coworking and corporate innovation. It is expected to open in spring 2020, per the release.

“Central Houston and the Downtown Redevelopment Authority are committed to establishing downtown Houston as a nexus for innovation and a leader in urban entrepreneurship,” Bob Eury, president of CHI and the DRA, said in the release. “We’ve found strong, strategic partners in Amegy Bank and The Cannon, both of which are committed to fostering and sustaining a vibrant innovation culture in Houston, from startup to production.”

The DRA issued a proposal for an innovation space within the boundaries of Tax Increment Zone #3 in August. Amegy Bank has been working with architecture firm Gensler to redesign the 13th floor of Amegy on Main into a coworking space to be operated by The Cannon, according to the release. The 13th-floor coworking space is slated to open in the fourth quarter of 2019. Amegy and the DRA will work together on building out the 10th floor of the tower, the release states.

Eur5RAq.png

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

$13 million 7-story garage building permit isssued.

Do you have an address, or should we assume that this will be built on the current site of the surface parking lot south of this building?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm interested to see what Amegy intends to do with its existing garage directly south of here. They have the entire city block and will no longer need it for parking.  Great location for development at the intersection of Main Street and whatever happens with Pierce elevated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived