Virgin America Airlines

Trae

What do we get if Virgin comes to Houston? Competition for Continental, which is just beginning to establish itself as a first-rate airline, in terms of customer service? The airline that has weathered some of the hardest times in the industry's history -- all the while, offering an amazing list of destinations to its hometown -- improving its service and safety record, updating its fleet, improving its gate facilities at its hubs (IAH included), improving its on-time performance AND doing all this while remaining competitively priced now gets another competitor flying to its relatively weak western destinations to fight? Great.

What do we get if Virgin comes to Houston? Competition for Continental, which is just beginning to establish itself as a first-rate airline, in terms of customer service? The airline that has weathered some of the hardest times in the industry's history -- all the while, offering an amazing list of destinations to its hometown -- improving its service and safety record, updating its fleet, improving its gate facilities at its hubs (IAH included), improving its on-time performance AND doing all this while remaining competitively priced now gets another competitor flying to its relatively weak western destinations to fight? Great.

I think competition for Continental is generally a good thing. Since the airline seems to be in a sound position now, competiton from other entities such as Virgin America will only help to keep Continental alert in providing superior service.

Plus, such a high profile carrier could only add emphasis to the international strength at IAH.

Virgin America is not an International Airlines. It's a "low fare" carrier desinged to compeat with Soutwest, JetBlue, etc.

Now a Virgin non-stop from IAH to Heathrow? That'd be cool.

Bermuda II would have to be repealed first. As of now, there may be no non-stop flights between Houston and Heathrow.

I don't know about virgin air, but I know jetblue is more comfortablethan swa. If virgin is more like jetblue, then I want them.

If virgin can start with flights to the west coast, that would be great for competition with swa, since jetblue flies mostly east from houston.

Somehow I don't quite think that Virgin will be choosing its US routes based on an internet poll. ^_^ Cute publicity gimmick though. I voted for Houston.

I agree. They aren't going to add Austin unless it makes sense to do so. But I voted anyway and would love them at Hobby.

there's no way a 747 could operate out of Hobby! Runways too short. Others here can give actual figures, but I think longest runway is 7500 feet. Probably need at least 10-11000 for a 747.

what does a 747 have to do with hobby? its virgin america not virgin atlantic. VX operates or rather will/may operate A319/320's...

• 1 month later...
Looks like Virgin America will get the green light after they change their ownership rules. At least that's what I heard the other day on Market Place.

The US and the EU just renegotiated their airline flight rules, which should free things up a little.

yep. hopefully by 2008 CO will be flying into Heathrow instead of dirty ole Gatwick and the rickety old Gatwick Express train to Victoria Station.

As a matter of fact...

March 22, 2007, 12:29PM

Continental moves to begin Heathrow service

By BILL HENSEL JR

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Continental Airlines today asked for permission to serve Heathrow Airport in London, with hopes of starting service from Houston in 2008.

The move by Houston-based Continental was triggered by European Union approval of a so-called "open skies" agreement between the United States and EU which loosens the rules covering trans-Atlantic airline service. This deal is supposed to open up coveted spots at the airport.

"Our customers have always wanted more options for accessing London, and the open skies agreement will allow us to give our customers the convenience of choosing between Heathrow and Gatwick for their London travel plans," Larry Kellner, chairman and CEO of Continental Airlines, said in a statement.

Link

In terms of facilities and ease, Gatwick is superior to Heathrow. The reason the US carriers are seeking Heathrow so badly is because of all the potential inter-line connections that can be made on foreign carriers. As far as the Gatwick Express goes, its a nice ride into Victoria Station. Have you not been on the new trains? The problem i have with the Gatwick Express is the damned cost! The Queen is an expensive gal :( :(

• 2 months later...

Virgin has targeted Houston as a destination

Qatar Airways, Virgin America map plans to land in Houston

Houston Business Journal - June 1, 2007by Christine HallHouston Business Journal

Houston has been pinpointed as a future route by two airlines that will begin operating flights to the United States for the first time this summer.

Both Qatar Airways -- which currently operates a code-share flight to Houston through German airline Lufthansa -- and Virgin America, have expressed an interest in including Houston on a roster of upcoming internally operated flight plans.

Houston Business Journal

Archived