#TheDress

Sky-guy

#TheDress  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What color is the dress in the picture below?

• Blue and Black
    • White and Gold
    • Other/I don't know

It's a neat effect, though I don't see the big deal. I guess people just can't get their heads around that eyes and brains can process light differently.  I've been able to see it both ways, though not purposely either way.

It's a neat effect, though I don't see the big deal. I guess people just can't get their heads around that eyes and brains can process light differently.  I've been able to see it both ways, though not purposely either way.

That's actually the over-analysis of this whole situation as a sort of justification as to why people are talking about it. The only reason why this became popular is because this came from Tumblr which has become a complete dumpster fire for all things this, stupid teen pseudo-intellectuals, as well as a meme factory. People saw an opportunity for some light-hearted lulz and it took off from there. This whole dress thing is pretty much internet in a nutshell where anything if given the right spin can become easily consumable and turned into a silly in joke.

what color is the dress is fun and all (either the literal dress, or the color of the pixels representing the dress), but in actuality the real question is what phone was the camera attached to so everyone knows how bad the camera on that phone is, and that they should never buy that phone. like ever.

there are so many things wrong with what the image processor on that phone did to that picture. what was likely a cream colored tile floor is now white, what was likely a black chair leg is some amazing gradient of grey to white. those bottles of something that look like a radioactive mountain dew are probably more brownish in reality, and the awesome LSD inspired chromatic aberrations all over this picture remind me of addled drug haze of my 20s that I never actually had. 

so the reality is that people who have experience with seeing what a digital camera can do to color and images see immediately that this is blue/black. someone who isn't used to seeing how colors look when saturation, hue (huehuehue), contrast, and every other possible issue that arises from a horrible digital camera picture are taking their time marveling at how our brain functions differently when it knows certain facts and when it doesn't.

Basically, this is millions of people who never knew that Plato ever existed now all learning at once about the allegory of the cave.

edit: it would be kind of cool if the content of the picture were more striking, this kind of effect on properly framed subject matter takes hours of adjustment in photoshop, and even then you can usually tell it's been shopped, and isn't just a genuinely weird photograph.

That's actually the over-analysis of this whole situation as a sort of justification as to why people are talking about it. The only reason why this became popular is because this came from Tumblr which has become a complete dumpster fire for all things this, stupid teen pseudo-intellectuals, as well as a meme factory. People saw an opportunity for some light-hearted lulz and it took off from there. This whole dress thing is pretty much internet in a nutshell where anything if given the right spin can become easily consumable and turned into a silly in joke.

Yeah, I was just thinking about how people were framing it up as some kind of debate or argument or "us vs. them" thing like it mattered figuring it took mass ignorance, but as you point out, the ignorance was likely at least partially willful for the sake of having something to argue about. Probably speaks to the drama queens that originated it.

I just hope all of this type of stuff gets archived somewhere permanent such that future historians can have a good laugh and/or a solid basis for their theories around the genesis of our societal demise. Unmoderated commentary is a cruel mirror.

Tell me without lying you have never cracked a smile at some of the memes... 

It's also a huge source of architecture and photography blogs that source everything that's not original. Some really good ones too. Not all Lollipops & Gum Drops.

Tell me without lying you have never cracked a smile at some of the memes...

It's also a huge source of architecture and photography blogs that source everything that's not original. Some really good ones too. Not all Lollipops & Gum Drops.

Describing Tumblr as a "complete dumpster fire" makes me smile.

I think it had less to do with tumbl and more to do with the photo and what people were seeing. 

Its a scientific curiousity as to why people were seeing two completely different set of colors. Yes the photo was bad but thats besides the point, its really irellevant. It wasnt like the colors changed depending on the amount of the light in the room you were in.

It was somewhat maddening at first to sit next to multiple people who saw it totally different than myself.

Has the scientific community come up for a better explanation than the rods and cones theory or is that what it actually was?

Apparently the answer is "color constancy". There are lots of youtube videos about it. 

exactly, your brain constructs what it wants based on the inputs. You 'see' not what light your eyes are able to collect, but what your brain processes based on what light is collected.

exactly, your brain constructs what it wants based on the inputs. You 'see' not what light your eyes are able to collect, but what your brain processes based on what light is collected.

Why is this the first real life example that has gone viral?

Does this happen to us all the time but we never know it because it doesn't end up on social media?

Very strange.

Or is this what happens when I say a shirt is dark blue and my wife says its black?

Archived