Architectual Scale Modeling training

Hi Guys,

Looks like I may have to have a mid-life career change.  Ive always been interested in buildings and architecture. 

Are there any schools and/or apprenticeships in the Houston area for this type of work?

Not really sure where to even look or search for.

Thanks for any ideas or help.

Stephen

Do you already have a college degree?

EDIT: BTW I'm asking this because it is important as it will determine what course of action you should take. If you already have a degree then you can simply go to grad school. If you don't have a degree then it's a little more complicated as you will either choose a 4 + 2 path or a 5 year path which determines what University you go too.

Hi Guys,

Looks like I may have to have a mid-life career change.  Ive always been interested in buildings and architecture. 

Are there any schools and/or apprenticeships in the Houston area for this type of work?

Not really sure where to even look or search for.

Thanks for any ideas or help.

Stephen

University of Houston

Rice

Prairie View A&M

Texas A&M

All offer degrees in the "area" of architecture.  UH, and Rice provide 5 year plans that allow you to avoid graduate school, Texas A&M may (not sure now?)?

Honestly, for a mid-life career change... Architecture would be really tough, and I would only recommend it if you were 100% positive you really-really-really wanted to pursue that at all costs.

As a realistic view of the profession from the inside:  I honestly think its one of the absolute worst careers to get into post-2008.  So many architects lost their jobs during that recession (nationally) that you'd be up against it.  And you'd be starting out at mid-life -- up against peers who would be 20somethings.  Architects and architectural employees your age would be middle/upper management level with ~20 years of experience.

Good luck.  Message me if you want any more information or a my own personal story of architecture.

University of Houston

Rice

Prairie View A&M

Texas A&M

All offer degrees in the "area" of architecture.  UH, and Rice provide 5 year plans that allow you to avoid graduate school, Texas A&M may (not sure now?)?

Honestly, for a mid-life career change... Architecture would be really tough, and I would only recommend it if you were 100% positive you really-really-really wanted to pursue that at all costs.

As a realistic view of the profession from the inside:  I honestly think its one of the absolute worst careers to get into post-2008.  So many architects lost their jobs during that recession (nationally) that you'd be up against it.  And you'd be starting out at mid-life -- up against peers who would be 20somethings.  Architects and architectural employees your age would be middle/upper management level with ~20 years of experience.

Good luck.  Message me if you want any more information or a my own personal story of architecture.

I'm going to assume that this guy already has a degree in something. SOMETHING (preferably in the arts, but if it's in something else that's completely ok!). If this is the case than the most in years he will see in school is 3. As many masters programs in architecture will put you in a 3 year program to "catch up" unless you are able to provide a portfolio of work in other artistic fields that displays your capacity for design.

Lets also remember that NCARB is beginning a complete overhaul of their IDP system with the end goal of potentially pursuing license right after school (after getting a professional degree in architecture.)

In fact in the firm I work for, one of the top designers here used to be in computer science and then went back to school to get a degree in architecture (from what I remember anyway). This was of course years ago (he is in his mid 40's now). It is never too late to pursue any profession especially architecture when the practice is more similar to a marathon and you really don't get into your prime in this profession until you are in your late 40's or early 50's (mileage may vary of course).

I completely agree with Arche that this isn't a profession for the remotely curious or something to dabble in on the side. Architecture requires full commitment, and you better be entering this field because you love it (because it sure won't be the pay!)

Arche was well on point about your competition. This is a field in flux, transition, and transformation. You can not ever get complacent and you must always be willing to change things up or learn new skills or you are not going to make it. This isn't to discourage you at all, only to warn you that it isn't something for the faint at heart. This isn't a 9-5 job and it isn't a biz where you just draw all day isolated from the world.

If you haven't already I would start learning these programs:

Adobe Creative Suite (particularly Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)

AutoCAD (although on the down slope this is the gateway program to everything else and many firms still use it)

Google Sketchup (basic modeling program, but is very easy to use, and quick to learn)

Revit (helps you learn modelling under predetermined constraints, organizing workflow of projects, and documentation)

Rhinoceros or Maya (more high end modeling programs).

Sorry for the information overload, but if this is really a path you want to follow the please message me or Arche or whoever else responds to this. If you already know some of this stuff then sorry :P Good luck to you :)

Hi everyone and thank you for your candid responses.

Yes I have a degree in management.

I'm not sure if its possible but I really wanted to get in on the scale modeling....I wasnt sure if that was a seperate avenue and if it required an architectual degree or was simply a trade per se.

When I say modeling I mean the physcial modeling and not CAD work.

I may be completely naive to what Im asking for.  I just know I enjoy model building and thought I might could make living doing so.

Hmmm interesting.

Do you just want to get into the art of model making? Or do you want to be in the arts in general and want to specialize in making models?

If its just models you are aiming for then I would recommend looking for workshops! Whether that is woodshops, metalshops, digital workshops (that do CNC, machining, and 3d printing, etc...). Get with groups that do models for architecture firms, design firms or create art installations.

That's definitely a different way to go about it, but I guess you really don't need another degree to do that. I would say that if you just want to get into physical modeling that is more of a trade than the professional practice. I would still learn all of those programs I talked about! All of those programs are utilized throughout the process and are fantastic visualizing tools. Plus many are used to create digital models which then become physical ones.

If you want to go the all art route then....simply just do the art. This is getting beyond my already limited expertise, but maybe get into art classes or go to art schools to help really define your craft. Maybe help explore what you really want to do. Explore your sensibilities and through those classes you can start to create a portfolio of projects (you can do this without formal school of course). I guess what I'm trying to get at overall is that the path you are choosing isn't really defined per se.

I'm not sure if its possible but I really wanted to get in on the scale modeling....I wasnt sure if that was a seperate avenue and if it required an architectual degree or was simply a trade per se.

When I say modeling I mean the physcial modeling and not CAD work.

I may be completely naive to what Im asking for.  I just know I enjoy model building and thought I might could make living doing so.

Honestly, I'd say don't waste your time. I can count the number of physical models i've seen while working in architecture firms for the past decade on 1 hand.

Computer renderings are much faster, allow you to give multiple options to a client, allows you to turnaround comments from the client quickly with another rendering. Physical models just aren't worth it.

You only ever really see them with big developer clients who want a big model to use as marketing, and while there may be some firms out there that only specialize in building physical models,  they are few and far between,. Your typical architecture firm isn't going to have a position for "model maker".... on the rare occasion the need for a physical model arrises..most designers, espicially young ones less removed from school, will be able to turn one out.

Honestly, I'd say don't waste your time. I can count the number of physical models i've seen while working in architecture firms for the past decade on 1 hand.

Computer renderings are much faster, allow you to give multiple options to a client, allows you to turnaround comments from the client quickly with another rendering. Physical models just aren't worth it.

You only ever really see them with big developer clients who want a big model to use as marketing, and while there may be some firms out there that only specialize in building physical models,  they are few and far between,. Your typical architecture firm isn't going to have a position for "model maker".... on the rare occasion the need for a physical model arrises..most designers, espicially young ones less removed from school, will be able to turn one out.

I respect your opinion, but I think you vastly underrate the power of the physical model. Case in point you get a better read of an entire building from it's scale, to materiality, and the interactions of space and form (in some cases) from a physical model than from the computer. Clients, and people alike, like to touch things. It's why we still haven't seen the death of physical shopping or physical anything for that matter because that sense of touch is what really makes something real that computers can not replicate. I actually think we as a practice are doing clients a disservice with "photo realistic renders" as it elevates expectations that most often times can never be achieved! Physical model making is very important, and yes while it had definitely seen a decline during the computer revolution, we are seeing through new innovations such as CNCing, Machining, and 3D printing a complete rebirth of the art form simply because its another valuable tool to use to present your ideas!

Get with groups that do models for architecture firms, design firms or create art installations.

Thank you again....

I guess thats what Im trying to do...although I thought the firms that did the modeling were the architechtual firms themselves.

I guess I just didnt really know where to start my search or what to google....

I took your keywords from above and I think I found a few companies I can contact and maybe get some input from them.

Stephen

Thank you again....

I guess thats what Im trying to do...although I thought the firms that did the modeling were the architechtual firms themselves.

I guess I just didnt really know where to start my search or what to google....

I took your keywords from above and I think I found a few companies I can contact and maybe get some input from them.

Stephen

Quite a few firms do build physical models.  Sometimes it depends on the client, or the project head and what they desire.  At my firm we do a lot of restoration projects - so no need to build models.  As for making a living... doubt it would be worthwhile - but you could make extra money doing it if you're good.

I respect your opinion, but I think you vastly underrate the power of the physical model. Case in point you get a better read of an entire building from it's scale, to materiality, and the interactions of space and form (in some cases) from a physical model than from the computer. Clients, and people alike, like to touch things. It's why we still haven't seen the death of physical shopping or physical anything for that matter because that sense of touch is what really makes something real that computers can not replicate. I actually think we as a practice are doing clients a disservice with "photo realistic renders" as it elevates expectations that most often times can never be achieved! Physical model making is very important, and yes while it had definitely seen a decline during the computer revolution, we are seeing through new innovations such as CNCing, Machining, and 3D printing a complete rebirth of the art form simply because its another valuable tool to use to present your ideas!

I don't underestimate the power of a physical model.. and i mostly agree with you assessment as to their merits.    But that doesn't change the fact that most firms just arent going to take the time or trouble to go that route when you can build a virtual model, including animations in a fraction of the time.

And i agree with the drawbacks of photo-realistic renders. I've bitched on here many a time at the haifers who see a finished project rendering and take it as a contract of what is to be built, then get all complainy when things change.   But that's also an advantage of the virtual over the physical... a few buttons/plugins/seconds in photoshop and that one virtual model can be output as massing to photorealistic or anywhere in between.

Lastly.. While 3D printing may eventually become worth it and common place.. that doesn't help the original poster nor make it worth it to change professions to be come a "professional model maker".

To the original poster.. if professional model making is want you want to do, you should not be looking towards architecture.  Instead, look into set design for either theater or movies.

• 2 years later...

A scale display is a portrayal or duplicate of a question that is bigger or littler than the real size of the protest being spoken to. All the time the scale display is littler than the first and utilized as a manual for making the protest in full size. hand drawn animation video service. Scale models are constructed or gathered for some reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not to late to start learning design and architecture. A proper education in the construction industry and/or design can always be beneficial; however, it is not essential. I have an MBA, but I specialize in architecture and building engineering. Metal Buildings are my specialty. I've used all of the cad programs, the one that is by far the easiest to learn is Sketchup. I recommend 3rd party rendering software as well, such as Keyshot or Thea Render.

BB Billboard.jpg

Metal Building Frame.jpg

Small Barn House.jpg

Archived