COH Proposed Police Contract pending Council Vote

trymahjong

from Costello's enewsletter

Proposed Police Contract
Council vote pending

On Monday, February 9, 2015, Mayor Parker and the Houston Police Officer's Union announced an agreement on a new labor contract that will be in effect through 2018. The contract calls for a 49% increase, from $35,000 to $42,000, in pay for probationary officers, as well as salary raises ranging from 2% to 10% for officers currently on the police force. These increases are intended to make salaries more competitive to other forces in Texas. The contract also provides incentive pay, ranging from $600 to $2200 per year, to investigators.

"Our officers deserve better salaries.  Houston must catch up with other cities so we can attract and keep good men and women on the force. I plan to support this contract, but I am concerned about the financial impact on already stressed budgets in coming years. I'll be working hard to seek local control of our pension systems from Austin so there will be sufficient money available to pay for competitive officer salaries," says Council Member Costello.

In addition, the contract eliminates Personal Fitness Time and replaces it with Personal Days. Personal Days, similar to Personal Fitness Time, are provided to all officers with additional days being offered to officers hired after March 30, 2011. The contract will be considered on February 25, 2015.

It's about time we pay more. I'd prefer to have even a larger increase for officers with degrees. I'm tired of talking to HPD bubbas that suggest I buy a gun and get a CHL as the best form of protection... all while they park their butts at a speedtrap instead of actively patrolling.

Archived