Bellaire HEB At 5106 Bissonnet St.

Mab

In “very good news” for the city of Bellaire, HEB Grocery Stores is planning a new store at its current location at 5106 Cedar.

The grocery store chain has reserved the Bellaire Civic Center for a February 24 “community meeting” to announce details of its request for a “planned development” in downtown Bellaire. That development will include a new store. The meeting will be held at 7 p.m. at the Civic Center, at 7008 S. Rice.

Bellaire City Manager Paul Hofmann confirmed Wednesday that the grocery store chain will be building a new facility, which he called “very good news.” He said that he had informed Mayor Phil Nauert and other members of the Bellaire City Council about the application for a permit.

HEB is one of the nation’s largest independent grocery store chains. The company was founded in Kerrville, Tx. more than 100 years ago. The grocery chain has more than 155 stores throughout Texas.

For years, many Bellaire residents have complained that the city’s shopping opportunities have failed to keep up with the community’s changing atmosphere. The city’s two grocery stores, the HEB on Cedar and the Randall’s on Bellaire Blvd., have failed to keep pace with the changing demographics of the city.

Real estate values in Bellaire have soared, drawing many higher-income residents to Bellaire, who desire more choices and better selections while shopping.

Hofmann said that Brown & Gray Engineers had submitted a request to the Bellaire Planning and Zoning Commission for a new “planned development” at the store’s current location on Cedar.

That request is scheduled to go before the commission on March 10.

Hofmann said that city officials are trying to let HEB handle their public communications about the new store.

http://www.instantnewsbellaire.com/2015/02/11/38451/

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it was an Academy store at one time then became one of the area's first Pantry stores. It will be interesting to see what they build there. Not a whole lot of room to expand without taking up precious parking spaces. Makes me wonder if they will close off 5th street or Spruce to allow expansion. 

The H-E-B did start as a "Pantry Foods" concept, which were small and generally lacked most supermarket standards (deli, bakery, pharmacy). The Randalls was, IIRC, a Safeway (then AppleTree) originally. The buyout should put more control of Randalls in local hands (and they were going to keep the division), but at best is an uphill battle to compete at this rate.

I'm guessing that they'll flatten their existing store (along with adjacent space) for a newer, larger building.

I know it was an Academy store at one time then became one of the area's first Pantry stores. It will be interesting to see what they build there. Not a whole lot of room to expand without taking up precious parking spaces. Makes me wonder if they will close off 5th street or Spruce to allow expansion. 

It would make sense to close both Spruce and Cedar west of 5th as they create intersection spacing issues and serve little circulation purpose. This will be quite interesting to see unfold as Bellaire will be looking for quality pedestrian friendly and "green" development--especially if a street segment or two is closed. Couldn't imagine HEB not creating a store at least twice the existing size. This must entail more than just the existing HEB store and parking lot footprint. 

• 3 weeks later...

San Antonio-based H-E-B Grocery Co.plans to replace its 20,000-square-foot Bellaire store with a new 70,000-square-foot store, according to reports.

H-E-B officials announced the plan at a meeting with Bellaire residents earlier this week, InstantNewsBellaire.com andSwamplot report.

One of the possible scenarios would be building on the site of the existing store, at 5100 Cedar St., which would require the other businesses in the shopping center to relocate, according to the reports. However, the company is considering other sites, as wellt the meeting, officials showed images of the company's new San Antonio store on Nogalitos Street.

The former 26,000-square-foot grocery store at 1601 Nogalitos St. was built in 1945. It closed last summer so H-E-B could expand the store. Yet H-E-B couldn't add another wing to the property because the space was landlocked. Instead of moving the location, H-E-B decided to demolish the original store and construct a new two-story building in its place.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/02/h-e-b-plans-to-replace-expand-bellaire-store.html

If HEB can build two-story grocery stores over parking amongst housing in San Antonio and they are proposing the same along Bissonnett, surely one would think they would consider the same for Downtown.

If HEB can build two-story grocery stores over parking amongst housing in San Antonio and they are proposing the same along Bissonnett, surely one would think they would consider the same for Downtown.

Or if not Downtown, Eado.

Mr. Scott McClelland, if you build it, we WILL come...from miles around! My East End neighbors and I  don't like selection or quality at the Gulfgate store or the one on OST@Scott and are tired of the long trek to the one on W. Alabama.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whiners. That quote from the dry cleaner reeks of entitlement. You have a right to do business so long as the space is available and you pay your lease. It's business and no one owes them any more or any less.

I feel like this will only help local business. It'll be nice and shiny and new and as stated above, if you build it they will come. One can hope it will only revitalize this side of Bellaire and things drive more business and help clean up and add nicer things.

• 1 month later...

Looks like there's a small hang-up with who should be on the hook for the easements.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/news/article/City-rejects-free-rights-of-way-for-H-E-B-6466294.php

There's also some renders here, on page 50-53:

http://bellairecitytx.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1233&Inline=True

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there's a small hang-up with who should be on the hook for the easements.

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bellaire/news/article/City-rejects-free-rights-of-way-for-H-E-B-6466294.php

There's also some renders here, on page 50-53:

http://bellairecitytx.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1233&Inline=True

Small update 

http://www.instantnewsbellaire.com/2015/09/08/38976/

After a 35-minute closed-door session, city councilmembers voted 6-1 – with only Gus Pappas dissenting – to take the unusual step of reconsidering and repealing its vote Aug. 17 that abandoned two rights-of-way and three easements, totaling .1598 acres, at a price to H-E-B of $187,687.

Now, as an incentive, H-E-B will receive the property that runs along its existing store and strip center – appraised at more than $250,000 —  at no cost.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I spoke to one of the current HEB managers last week, and he said that from what he's heard the two story is still in the plans, with a start date of summer 2017.

Take that with a grain of salt though. 

On 7/13/2015 at 8:39 PM, amashgo said:

Whiners. That quote from the dry cleaner reeks of entitlement. You have a right to do business so long as the space is available and you pay your lease. It's business and no one owes them any more or any less.

I feel like this will only help local business. It'll be nice and shiny and new and as stated above, if you build it they will come. One can hope it will only revitalize this side of Bellaire and things drive more business and help clean up and add nicer things.

I feel like there's two sides of the coin to issues like these, and HEB is doing the right thing. They're giving the tenants plenty of time to move, they could of been total jerks and just ended all the leases and started tearing up the old stores, but they're trying to work with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived