Le Meridien Hotel At 1121 Walker St.

dbigtex56

In the picture URB posted, you can see a garage next to it. Hopefully won't take the full block.

The garage to the right/north of the Le Meridien in the picture is already there and has been in continuous use even after the building was vacated. The half(ish) of the block that faces Fannin is a surface lot that had the soil samples being taken.

The garage to the right/north of the Le Meridien in the picture is already there and has been in continuous use even after the building was vacated. The half(ish) of the block that faces Fannin is a surface lot that had the soil samples being taken.

you are just so right!

Such a foreign area of Downtown to me. 

SO the whole block will be parking garages with a tiny sliver of this building?

^^^ ok, so far.. very good.  things are starting to look a bit more sophisticated in my view.  i am loving the new signage, and something just seems a bit different with the overall scale of the edifice itself.  i want this hotel to be a complete and utter success for downtown....  

• Like 2

^^^ ok, so far.. very good.  things are starting to look a bit more sophisticated in my view.  i am loving the new signage, and something just seems a bit different with the overall scale of the edifice itself.  i want this hotel to be a complete and utter success for downtown....  

I would never try to rain on your parade or try to burst your eternally happy bubble, but to me it looks like these two renderings are unchanged save for the fact one is at dusk and the original was a bit earlier in the day.  

Edit: Oh yes, and we've gone from Mercedes to Toyota.

Edited by brijonmang

Can they have the large sign down the side though?  I thought there was some ordinance preventing that in downtown.  

My understanding is that residential and hotels are allowed signage downtown.

Someone else commented that it is a little more complicated than that, but I don't know the details. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would never try to rain on your parade or try to burst your eternally happy bubble, but to me it looks like these two renderings are unchanged save for the fact one is at dusk and the original was a bit earlier in the day.  

Edit: Oh yes, and we've gone from Mercedes to Toyota.

no, you are right.. the first rendering is the exact same rendering that we originally saw. not sure what Monarch sees different but oh well.. definitely wouldn't be the first time someone suddenly loved something that hadn't changed a bit after talking about how bad it looked. heh..

The demolition contractor's crew that I saw coming and going is gone, no activity at the moment. I'd guess they were doing some bid work and/or initial scoping. They had a fairly large trailer sized generator parked on the sidewalk while they were in there. There's got to be 20 years worth of dank cooped up in there.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Le-Meridien-luxury-hotel-planned-for-downtown-6665226.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

Building permits have been obtained for a luxury hotel to be developed in the long-abandoned Melrose building at 1121 Walker.

The Beck Group, a Dallas-based construction and architecture firm, acquired the permits for the project. On planning and development documents, the owner/occupant is listed as Le Meridien.

• Like 5

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Le-Meridien-luxury-hotel-planned-for-downtown-6665226.php

Building permits have been obtained for a luxury hotel to be developed in the long-abandoned Melrose building at 1121 Walker.

The Beck Group, a Dallas-based construction and architecture firm, acquired the permits for the project. On planning and development documents, the owner/occupant is listed as Le Meridien.

rendering of the hotel is posted on the Downtown Houston Management District's website, which reports the completion date of the 225-room project as third-quarter 2017.

The project is also featured on the website of Atlantic American Opportunities Fund, a Tampa-based company that provides financing for real estate developments using the federal EB-5 visa program.

According to the website:

The Le Meridien Houston will be a full-service hotel situated in downtown Houston, Texas that will operate under Starwood's Le Méridien brand. Project plans include 255 guestrooms, a signature restaurant, meeting space, and a rooftop pool.

The Project will feature an extensive list of amenities and first-rate finishes indicative of a full service hotel, including a state of the art reception / lobby along with onsite concierge services, a rooftop pool that opens to an outdoor sundeck, as well as a rooftop viewing area. There will be approximately 8,000 square feet of meeting space, including a penthouse ballroom, ballroom pre-function area, and business meeting rooms. In addition, the Project will have a signature restaurant and bar as well as a HUB lounge for hotel guests.

The Project will be centered around the redevelopment of Houston's historic Melrose Building, located at 1121 Walker Street in Houston's central business district. Opening in 1952, the Melrose Building was Houston's first modern-style skyscraper, and has recently been added to the National Register of Historic Places. As such, any redevelopment work qualifies for historic tax credits, which will provide a significant financial benefit to the Project. The 21-story building has been vacant for 20 years.

AAFF made an $15.0 million equity and subordinate debt investment in the Project, alongside a bank construction loan, State and Federal Historic Tax Credits and an equity investment made by the project's sponsor.

• Like 2

Here's an old photo of the Melrose building. Does anyone know what the building on the right is and when it was demolished? Looks like they could have been turned into nice apartments about now, but now its a parking lot waiting for Houston Center if that ever gets built...  :(

melrose1big.jpg

Edited by Nole23
  • Like 3