Dakota79

Lower Heights District

2 hours ago, Visitor said:

These are GFR fits for a high foot traffic place like downtown. I'd be surprised if the bulk of them had any success at Lower Heights in the next 10 yrs. But man would it be awesome if development created enough walkable density here for them to work. 

Especially considering most of them are already within a .5 mile radius.

I feel like all of these would be successful in LHD. If people will travel to City Center then they will come to LHD. 

2 hours ago, Visitor said:

These are GFR fits for a high foot traffic place like downtown. I'd be surprised if the bulk of them had any success at Lower Heights in the next 10 yrs. But man would it be awesome if development created enough walkable density here for them to work. 

Especially considering most of them are already within a .5 mile radius.

I feel like all of these would be successful in LHD. If people will travel to City Center then they will come to LHD. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Maybe you're right but I have a hard time believing that 7/11 and the fast casual food spots would garner the type of traffic needed.  If Lower Heights ends up having the type of office and retail that city centre does? Then it's a different story. 

Walgreens is at Studemont and Washington, Mcdonalds is in front of kroger, chipotle is at heights/10, five guys is on Washington near Yale.  

Now the area is lacking an Einstein...

Edited by Visitor

1 hour ago, Visitor said:

Maybe you're right but I have a hard time believing that 7/11 and the fast casual food spots would garner the type of traffic needed.  If Lower Heights ends up having the type of office and retail that city centre does? Then it's a different story. 

Walgreens is at Studemont and Washington, Mcdonalds is in front of kroger, chipotle is at heights/10, five guys is on Washington near Yale.  

City Center is next to a massive freeway and lots of empty spread out land. Lower Heights has roughly 12k people within a mile of one another. I’m not really sure how much more evidence we need as Houstonians to realize people want to walk and take other more healthier forms of transit in this city. I get the hesitation in believing that maybe finally we’re seeing Houston become what we’ve always wanted but the reality is that this is a rare opportunity to be alive in this city and see it literally change right in front of us. I think we’ve just been let down so much as Houstonians that when we finally start to see things take off we have a hard time believing it’s actually happening. 

• Like 2

City Center is next to a massive freeway and lots of empty spread out land. Lower Heights has roughly 12k people within a mile of one another. I’m not really sure how much more evidence we need as Houstonians to realize people want to walk and take other more healthier forms of transit in this city. I get the hesitation in believing that maybe finally we’re seeing Houston become what we’ve always wanted but the reality is that this is a rare opportunity to be alive in this city and see it literally change right in front of us. I think we’ve just been let down so much as Houstonians that when we finally start to see things take off we have a hard time believing it’s actually happening. 

7 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I get the hesitation in believing that maybe finally we’re seeing Houston become what we’ve always wanted... 

What's this "we" kemosabe?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'd love for Houston to actually realize its potential.  I just dont think the accessibility of Lower Heights is conducive to non-vehicle traffic. If it were somehow connected to downtown via rail (not bus) or ends up having a fair amount of office space then it is a different story.  

My personal opinion is that the surrounding area of Lower Heights basically makes it an island.

• Like 1

Kinda seems like an island at this moment due to the street grid...but there are nearly 2,000 multi-family units under construction within about 1 mile and even more planned---the opportunity exists for many thousands more in the area. 

UC     planned         demo  
Buffalo Heights* 232 1,000 -436  
Northbank   269    
Lower Heights 375 375    
Broadstone Studemont 375      
Crest at Taylor 381      
Broadstone Arts District 327      
former Detering Site*   300    
Standard 301      
  1,991 1,944 -436 3,499
*estimated        
  • Like 3

Other than Sawyer Lofts and the on-site MF, I just don't see the accessibility from a walking perspective. 

I believe that you get high volume pedestrian activity when there is a mix of work, live, and entertainment. Without significant "work" or even hotel traffic, it's just not going to get there. 

I personally live 1.2 miles from here and I'd only consider biking or driving. Especially in the summer.  I actually will have a pretty good route along the bike trail, so I guess that is a win.

2 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

I know I'm late, but Queen Donut Kolache on 18th is the place for donuts. 

I'll stop by there and try it out the next time I'm riding the white oak bayou trail.

• Like 1

I'd love for Houston to actually realize its potential.  I just dont think the accessibility of Lower Heights is conducive to non-vehicle traffic. If it were somehow connected to downtown via rail (not bus) or ends up having a fair amount of office space then it is a different story.  

My personal opinion is that the surrounding area of Lower Heights basically makes it an island.

That's really very similar to City Centre.  Most people drive there and then walk around.  I think that is where we are in the development trends right now.  Malls are out and drive-to and walk around developments are in.

• Like 1

Right, but City Centre has a large office footprint, hotels, and multiple retail locations. Lower heights doesn't have the space to accomplish something like City Centre. Buffalo Heights has a better chance. 

Right, but City Centre has a large office footprint, hotels, and multiple retail locations. Lower heights doesn't have the space to accomplish something like City Centre. Buffalo Heights has a better chance. 

Both have just as equal a chance and opportunity, each have their own set of issues to confront, and each look to develop in their own unique way. Might not be perfect, but its better than nothing. It wasn't easy for City Centre as well, but they stuck with it even when many many people said they were stupid and it would be a failure because it wasn't "walkable" in the immediate sense. This is by the way no shot against you, but is something that I generally see with other people, but once its put under pressure it just doesn't work as an idea. Many seem to get this idea that a city is a just a continuous progression of growth ever outward and its not always the case. Many cities grow with small cores that develop and then weave into one another. We are seeing it with all the different districts in town and soon we will see it happen with all these urban cores that are developing. What might not look "accessibly" or "walkable" now could easily snowball to something interesting given time. Now if you just don't like the development or you don't think its worth it to build something there...well thats your opinion, but I don't see how this development can't be as successful as others.

My contention was that the aforementioned list of GFR tenants was probably not conducive to this development as planned. That's all. 

My contention was that the aforementioned list of GFR tenants was probably not conducive to this development as planned. That's all. 

Did you mean this list?

Ultimate GFR places to have

1. 7-Eleven

2. Dunkin Donuts

3. Einstein Bagel

4. Potbelly

5. Chipotle or local place

6. Local Sushi place

7. Five Guys

8. CVS

9. McDonalds

10. Local Pizza place (Ledo's for me)

If thats what you mean then fare enough. I actually agree with you. Any list with a Dunkin Donuts is immediately invalid haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EllenOlenska said:

Dunkin Donuts is like frozen yogurt to other donut joints ice cream. 

I'm sorry I had to say that. 

They make a decent boston cream donut... the rest are average.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Visitor said:

Lower Heights might not need the space on-site since the area around it is developing a bit denser than the City Centre area.  I'll have to go walk the area myself, but I've walked around City Centre and the adjoining Town & Country center and it's not a bad walk.  Looking at the map, it looks like the distance as the crow files is similar.  I'd expect you could do a lot of walking around there if you are inclined.  It's just that most Houstonians aren't so inclined.

On 3/9/2019 at 1:16 PM, skooljunkie said:

Kinda seems like an island at this moment due to the street grid...but there are nearly 2,000 multi-family units under construction within about 1 mile and even more planned---the opportunity exists for many thousands more in the area. 

UC     planned         demo  
Buffalo Heights* 232 1,000 -436  
Northbank   269    
Lower Heights 375 375    
Broadstone Studemont 375      
Crest at Taylor 381      
Broadstone Arts District 327      
former Detering Site*   300    
Standard 301      
  1,991 1,944 -436 3,499
*estimated        

On 3/9/2019 at 1:31 PM, Visitor said:

Other than Sawyer Lofts and the on-site MF, I just don't see the accessibility from a walking perspective. 

I believe that you get high volume pedestrian activity when there is a mix of work, live, and entertainment. Without significant "work" or even hotel traffic, it's just not going to get there. 

I personally live 1.2 miles from here and I'd only consider biking or driving. Especially in the summer.  I actually will have a pretty good route along the bike trail, so I guess that is a win.

This is the big problem with all the development in the area. You're basically trying to build urban density on a suburban chassis. You have a bunch of very large tracts, not connected to each other or to a surrounding street grid. When you do high-intensity infill on this pattern, you get all the density of an urban center, but none of the mode shift. Which is to say, people still drive to and between (and frequently within) these developments. Density is a necessary but not sufficient condition for walkability. Density without urbanism is basically just vertical sprawl.

I'm a lot more optimistic about high-density infill in places with a connected street grid (Heights, Midtown, EaDo, etc.). Since we don't do use-segregation in Houston, developers can locate retail, commercial and residential in close proximity, and since no tract is bigger than a city block, people can flow between them without cars. 

In this area, though, the only real solution is to nuke everything between I-10 and the RR tracks from Yale to Sawyer and replat with a proper street grid. (BTW, East River is an example of how to do this right: break up a large tract into smaller blocks, preferably with narrow rights of way between them, develop those blocks with a mix of uses within and between them, and integrate the whole thing with the surrounding grid.)

• Like 6

On 3/8/2019 at 1:01 PM, august948 said:

Shipley's has great kolaches, but Krispy Kreme is the place for donuts.

Krispy Kreme is awful. I would like to see an Einsteins Bagels closer to the Greater Heights than Kirby and Bissonet or Montrose and Hawthorne.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We live in the immediate area and we did not flood during Harvey. The Studemont underpass does but quickly drains within a couple of hours. We have been told a movie theater is going in, but we’ll see with time. I do know Total Wine & Spirits has already placed a sign on the property of their new store. We’re pretty excited. This area is booming. With the all the new walking distance restaurants in the area including the new Killen’s restaurant, Truth BBQ, HEB, Shell Shack the traffic is the only thing we are not looking forward to... New floodplain is already being considered in all new construction, it won’t be a problem.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, Ross said:

Krispy Kreme is awful. I would like to see an Einsteins Bagels closer to the Greater Heights than Kirby and Bissonet or Montrose and Hawthorne.

They got Golden Bagels & Coffee on White Oak. 

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Which, unlike Einstein, makes actual bagels.

Can't be true. Golden doesn't have salt bagels on the menu.

• Like 1

A good point - that's a pretty glaring omission. Still, much closer to bagels than the bread circles Einstein sells.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:56 PM, august948 said:

Lower Heights might not need the space on-site since the area around it is developing a bit denser than the City Centre area.  I'll have to go walk the area myself, but I've walked around City Centre and the adjoining Town & Country center and it's not a bad walk.  Looking at the map, it looks like the distance as the crow files is similar.  I'd expect you could do a lot of walking around there if you are inclined.  It's just that most Houstonians aren't so inclined.

I got the chance to walk around the edges of Lower Heights earlier this week.  They've got a parking lot going next to the Kroger (where I parked) and the start of a parking garage closer to the Target.  They've got Oliver St fenced off and are doing dirt work along it.  When I walked down Studemont and east on the feeder, I could see where the Heights Bike Trail touches the edge of the property.  Looks like they're doing some excavating for a detention pond.  I hope they make that a park-like area and do a good high-comfort connection to the main trail.  I'll be curious to see if they end up connecting Oliver St to the adjacent shopping area where the Target is.

On 4/14/2019 at 3:25 PM, hindesky said:

Tower crane is up at the southern fenced in area.

XYFR6Q3.jpg

aPIB8il.jpg

Damn that's fast as hell!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

From Houston Chronicle this morning:

Construction recently started at Lower Heights District, a 24-acre site a mile west of downtown, just south of Interstate 10 between Sawyer and Studemont, a burgeoning neighborhood of upscale restaurants, art studios and shops.

While the first phase of the project — a 370-unit apartment complex and 78,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space — is under construction, plans are in the works for a cinema and dining concept, office buildings and more apartments and shops, according to Gulf Coast Commercial Group, the Houston developer that bought the site in 2015 for $40 million.

...Lower Heights District, designed by Gensler, is also designed to be open and walkable, with small plazas and green spaces. Diners will spill onto outdoor restaurant patios and the project, near the hike and bike trail, will cater to trail users as well as nearby residents, the developer said.

Gulf Coast said there are plans to develop a 120,000-square-foot office building constructed with cross-laminated timber wood panels made from several layers of lumber glued and stacked that is said to be an environmentally friendly construction material.

...Total Wine and Ulta Beauty have finalized leases for the retail space underway, but the developer would not reveal names of the other tenants it is talking to.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Lowe-Heights-District-Regency-Square-developers-13852104.php

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

More updated renderings of updated renderings of Lower Heights District in Houston.

From Loopnet and updated leasing brochure.

Loopnet listing:
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2728-Summer-St-Houston-TX/14599849/ (archive link)

Brochure:
https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/-y4dTI0n0tupb3iRH8Ll_mV0wyzjYFCxQRDfs1GSH6c/document.pdf  (archive link)

t3oG0Bh.jpg

8UJmgOe.jpg

rsBg4yx.jpg

• Like 8

The earlier brochures had Cinemark... makes me wonder if that didn't pan out or whether they were even working on a deal with them.

Please forgive me if this issue has already been addressed on this thread, but a major impediment to making this development pedestrian accessible is the Studemont bridge over White Oak Bayou.
I cannot walk across it. I'm willing to bet that most people can't. A two foot tall railing and an 18" sidewalk do not inspire confidence.
There may be other routes to cross the bayou but they are not evident to the hapless pedestrian who discovers that You Can't Get There From Here.
Are there any plans to widen this bridge and add adequate sidewalks and rails?

bridge.PNG

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Triton said:

The earlier brochures had Cinemark... makes me wonder if that didn't pan out or whether they were even working on a deal with them.

The earlier rendering also had west elm where is now East Oaks Home Goods.

Probably said this earlier, but really like the industrial aesthetic. Fits with the area and its prior use.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Please forgive me if this issue has already been addressed on this thread, but a major impediment to making this development pedestrian accessible is the Studemont bridge over White Oak Bayou.
I cannot walk across it. I'm willing to bet that most people can't. A two foot tall railing and an 18" sidewalk do not inspire confidence.
There may be other routes to cross the bayou but they are not evident to the hapless pedestrian who discovers that You Can't Get There From Here.

bridge.PNG

Or perhaps a simple pedestrian bridge crossing over. I believe this bridge is still in pretty good condition and it seems to be able to handle the current traffic.

But I completely agree, this bridge is completely dangerous. A few years ago, I made the poor decision of crossing this with my bike which had a flat tire, in order to get home quicker. Never again. Felt like I was fairly close to either falling off into the road or getting hit by someone's mirror at 40 mph. What made it even worse was that someone on the other side also made the same poor decision I made and we had to scoot around each other just to pass. That being said, I highly doubt we'll see a pedestrian bridge here seeing how we already have the former train track crossing for the Heights Bike Trail.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Triton said:

That being said, I highly doubt we'll see a pedestrian bridge here seeing how we already have the former train track crossing for the Heights Bike Trail. 

And there will be almost no need for a pedestrian bridge here if they ever finish building the White Oak Bayou trail from the east to connect with the M-K-T/Heights trail.  That one little gap in the trail for so many years has perplexed me.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

bridge.PNG

I don't understand where you would be coming from that you would need to use this?  Maybe the 4 square blocks south of white oak? Or if you were at Stude Park and wanted to go? 

I share @rechlins frustration that the northern trail just deadends literally within view of the southern trail, when i've tried to make a loop around, but from an actual pedestrian friendly walkablity standpoint, the heights bike trail has been incredible for us living in the first ward.  

pedestrian-accesssss.PNG.188ad6e53aed012b57f82127751461bd.PNG

Edited by crock

57 minutes ago, crock said:

I don't understand where you would be coming from that you would need to use this?  Maybe the 4 square blocks south of white oak? Or if you were at Stude Park and wanted to go? 

I share @rechlins frustration that the northern trail just deadends literally within view of the southern trail, when i've tried to make a loop around, but from an actual pedestrian friendly walkablity standpoint, the heights bike trail has been incredible for us living in the first ward.  

I think it's more a question of why not? We should be able to access any part of the city fairly easy by foot without having to road map a solution. 

• Like 2

A while back, someone riding their bike on that bridge got pushed off the bridge by a motorist.  It is unbelievably dangerous.  

If you are on the hike and bike path and want to get to Stude Park, you can't without either taking White Oak across Studewood or taking Studemont over that bridge.  Otherwise, you have to take the trail all the way down through 1st Ward, under 45 and back along the bayou.  

But the real reason there needs to be a safe connection between the hike and bike path and Stude park is give people 100% bike path access from the Heights to the bike path on the north side of the bayou by Stude Park.  That lets you go downtown without having to have to go through the Target shopping center (which is terrifying when riding with kids).  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, crock said:

Or how about anywhere up Studewood (and adjacent streets) north of White Oak???:ph34r:

If you're north of the bayou, the easternmost access to the MKT trail is at Oxford - which is almost as far west of Studewood as Watson/Taylor is east (not that Watson's any picnic on foot or bike, either).

5 hours ago, crock said:

It certainly helps to be intimately acquainted with the neighborhood. The casual visitor would justifiably assume that a major street will allow one to travel from point A to point B.  It's frustrating to walk a good distance from the closest main cross street only to have to retrace one's steps, and still have no indication as to how to access the closest and easiest route. 
My observations are from the perspective of someone who sometimes walks without having a fixed destination in mind, and who doesn't carry a GPS device. I realize that that's not everyone. Still, it might be nice to have some warning - maybe  "NO PED ACCESS - YOU'LL REGRET IT" signs posted at White Oak Dr. and I-10?
Yes, you can get there from here, but it's not as obvious as it ought to be.

On 5/17/2019 at 7:43 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

...Total Wine and Ulta Beauty have finalized leases for the retail space underway, but the developer would not reveal names of the other tenants it is talking to.

Seems a little premature, but Ulta Beauty is already running an ad for the General Manager position for this location.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ErickEdgar said:

From the Studemont Junction leasing brochure, here's a list of retail stores for Lower Heights District:

Ulta

Michael's

Ross

Nordstrom Rack

Cinemark

Sam's Club

Academy

https://www.streetwiseretail.com/public/Studemont-Junction-Marketing-Brochure.pdf

Thank you for posting but unfortunately that is an old document from several years ago. Lower Heights District's design has completely been redone.