Dakota79

Lower Heights District

That would be nice, but it doesn't look like that's the plan. That's a standard nasty big box strip mall (that even appears to house a Michael's) behind the giant parking lot. 

That being said, the rest of the site is way better than it could have been, so... hurray?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

2728 Summer St - 5-story/90,000 sq ft office building.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2728-Summer-St-Houston-TX/14599849/

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Personally, I believe this is the best result in the realm of realistic possibilities. Those of you who look at Westcreek / RO District see the Target and parking lot as huge opportunity for future redevelopment... this is similar.

This development must include a parking garage (movie theater and offices) in addition to the apartment garage. So you have a little bit of everything. As density increases, we will likely see the parking lot and box stores change. You cant go from a 2 to a 10 overnight.

Don't fool yourself... convenient parking is amazing and a factor of success. I go to the target near here all the time. I doubt I would frequent it as much if parking was not easy.

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Avossos said:

Personally, I believe this is the best result in the realm of realistic possibilities. Those of you who look at Westcreek / RO District see the Target and parking lot as huge opportunity for future redevelopment.

This development must include a parking garage (movie theater and offices) in addition to the apartment garage. So you have a little bit of everything. As denisity increases, we will likely see the parking lot and box stores subject to change. 

Don't fool yourself... convenient parking is amazing and a factor of success. I go to the target near hear all the time. I doubt I would frequent it as much if parking was not easy.

I agree with this. This development reminds of University Village in Seattle, WA. It is very walkable and popular, even though it has a large parking lot in front of the grocery store. 

I can definitely see this lot becoming a parking garage in the future if the development becomes a huge success, but I like this project from the look of it so far.  

• Like 3

It looks like what would happen if Highland Village and the Central Market across the street had a baby.

BTW, there's structured parking elsewhere on the site. Why separate one of your anchor tenants from the rest of the development with a sea of asphalt?

• Like 6

I'm still hoping that they incorporate some sort of specific entrance from the bike path up in the northeast corner.  Something inviting and landscaped with bike racks obviously.  Don't see anything like that in the drawings.

• Like 1

Like the industrial feel of the West Elm building. Kinda reminds me of old industrial buildings you would find nestled in the massive city blocks of Berlin. I agree with most, the giant parking lot is a bummer, but looking at it pragmatically its a necessary evil, it doesn't deface the development, and does help with ease of access. As the city continues to mature more, these will become the first sites to be drastically altered (could be a nice spot for a signature building or even a park).

Lets give credit were credit is due and keep encouraging developers that they are on the right track (while of course making sure they continue to get better). This was the best possible outcome for this site considering the disappointment that is Kroger right next to it (very likely could have done something similar). Its been interesting watching this free market experiment with competing versions of new urbanism. While they are not perfect, the fact that these are the models of development they are choosing to duel with is an incredible sign of maturity in the city than before when it was a duel between big box store plazas.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Like the industrial feel of the West Elm building. Kinda reminds me of old industrial buildings you would find nestled in the massive city blocks of Berlin. I agree with most, the giant parking lot is a bummer, but looking at it pragmatically its a necessary evil, it doesn't deface the development, and does help with ease of access. As the city continues to mature more, these will become the first sites to be drastically altered (could be a nice spot for a signature building or even a park).

Lets give credit were credit is due and keep encouraging developers that they are on the right track (while of course making sure they continue to get better). This was the best possible outcome for this site considering the disappointment that is Kroger right next to it (very likely could have done something similar). Its been interesting watching this free market experiment with competing versions of new urbanism. While they are not perfect, the fact that these are the models of development they are choosing to duel with is an incredible sign of maturity in the city than before when it was a duel between big box store plazas.

I also like the comparison given to University Village in Seattle. You're very right about how the city is maturing. 

• Like 1

15 years ago this whole area was a huge industrial complex with toxic waste and ugly warehouses full of stuff and no future in sight. It went from Washington Avenue all the way to to I-10.  I used to drive to my studio on Silver, Summer, Winter, White streets and dodge trash, scare away wild dog packs, hear bullets in the night and  trains all the time. Progress takes time and this is pretty remarkable compared to what it once was. 
Sometimes you have to have a little more patience. It will all change over time. Imagine if there was a time lapse video of NY city over the last century how much it changed. Nothing remains the same, unless its done right the first time.

• Like 7

Wow. 6 apartment buildings, 2 retail buildings, 1 parking garage. These guys mean business.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, SMU1213 said:

That's probably just TCR's deal. Each "building" is just the section between the firewalls. 

I actually thought that might be the case as well. You could be right. I probably could be wrong. Would still be better to be all one permit and not 6 separate ones. Plus its not like each building is a different occupancy type. Its all residential.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SMU1213 said:

That's probably just TCR's deal. Each "building" is just the section between the firewalls. 

pony up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

A summary of the last few pages in this thread.

Ok, thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Serrano said:

Anybody knows if ACADEMY is still going up here? 

My wife was curious if the Nordstorm Rack was still going here too...

• Like 1

UIBFajN.jpg

Ha! Look what I caught from that link. An Aerial view of the entire complex.

EDIT: Credit from previous post by @Mab

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mab said:

37 minutes ago, Luminare said:

FZdLzzO.jpg

Ha! Look what I caught from that link. An Aerial view of the entire complex.

EDIT: Credit from previous post by @Mab

Cool find, @Mab. Thanks for sharing the Lower Heights District brochure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From someone who lives in this area, I am SO excited!

Edit: So it looks like no connection between Summer and Crockett St?

• Like 2

Die Katyville, Die!!!

Summer St. just needs a tiny extension to be able to connect just south of Target.  It was surprising when they did the 380 agreement with Kroger that they didn't finish the job and have Summer go all the way through.  I would have to assume that with the addition of all that sq ft, the city would require it for emergency vehicles and traffic plans.

2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Cool find, @Mab. Thanks for sharing the Lower Heights District brochure.

That’s the kind of density we need!!! Wow!!!

Wonder what the building opposite the parking lot from michaels is?

Accounted for:

Two apartment buildings

Michael's

Office with ground floor retail

Cinemark

Parking structure

This part of the flyer jumped out at me. 

The 2.5mi radius around this site includes much of the Heights, Montrose and Midtown, and substantially all of Cottage Grove, CBD and 4th ward. The population in this area has gone up less than the city as a whole, apparently, but the median income has more than doubled. This site is basically the tip of the anglo arrow.

Screenshot (11).png

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Apartments-and-retail-rising-from-urban-site-13667317.php#photo-17029941

Construction has started on a mixed-use district just west of downtown that’s been several years in the making. Yet the ultimate vision for the project is still in flux.

Trammel Crow Residential has started construction on the apartments, which are going up on the southeast corner of the site. Gulf Coast is also building a shopping center adjacent to the existing Kroger at 1440 Studemont. Total Wine and Ulta Beauty have signed leases for the space. A second retail building is planned for the site, which has been branded as Lower Heights District.

The remaining acreage is on the east side of the property.

“That’s where the densification comes in,” Egan said, referring to possible plans for an office building, additional retail and more apartments.

• Like 4

I really wonder how accurate that Houston Chron article is. They seem to be working all across the property.

1 hour ago, Triton said:

I really wonder how accurate that Houston Chron article is. They seem to be working all across the property.

They're moving dirt all over the place. Dirt-moving is ubiquitous. 

So the Michael's, West Elm, and movie theater renderings were a farce? 🤔

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Visitor said:

So the Michael's, West Elm, and movie theater renderings were a farce? 🤔

I’m going to miss the Michael’s the most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EllenOlenska said:

They're moving dirt all over the place. Dirt-moving is ubiquitous. 

Houston Chron doesn't always get it right either.

Can someone explain why we’re questioning the article all of a sudden? 

Can someone explain why we’re questioning the article all of a sudden? 

15 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

If it ends up being a Buc-ee’s, I’m moving to Canada. 

+mattress firm

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, skooljunkie said:

If it ends up being a Buc-ee’s, I’m moving to Canada. 

Are you kidding?  Buc-cee's would be awesome as the ground-level retail.😛

13 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Dunkin Donuts?!?! This is Shipley country you monster.

Shipley's has great kolaches, but Krispy Kreme is the place for donuts.

5 hours ago, august948 said:

Shipley's has great kolaches, but Krispy Kreme is the place for donuts.

I respectfully disagree. Krispy Kreme are gas station grade donuts 😉

If you like ultra sweet donuts hit up a shipleys in a historically Hispanic neighborhood. My experience is that those Shipleys glaze EVERY donut, similar to Krispy Kreme. 

6 hours ago, Timoric said:

Ultimate GFR places to have

1. 7-Eleven

2. Dunkin Donuts

3. Einstein Bagel

4. Potbelly

5. Chipotle or local place

6. Local Sushi place

7. Five Guys

8. CVS

9. McDonalds

10. Local Pizza place (Ledo's for me)

These are GFR fits for a high foot traffic place like downtown. I'd be surprised if the bulk of them had any success at Lower Heights in the next 10 yrs. But man would it be awesome if development created enough walkable density here for them to work. 

Especially considering most of them are already within a .5 mile radius.

9 minutes ago, Visitor said:

I respectfully disagree. Krispy Kreme are gas station grade donuts 😉

If you like ultra sweet donuts hit up a shipleys in a historically Hispanic neighborhood. My experience is that those Shipleys glaze EVERY donut, similar to Krispy Kreme. 

b07fb3fccfebfbb6c292b444c6ae4d22f2adce17

Perhaps we can agree that Shipley's kolaches are top notch?  And that both Shipley's and Krispy Kreme are better than River Oaks Donuts?

I

55 minutes ago, august948 said:

b07fb3fccfebfbb6c292b444c6ae4d22f2adce17

Perhaps we can agree that Shipley's kolaches are top notch?  And that both Shipley's and Krispy Kreme are better than River Oaks Donuts?

Agreeing to disagree is my favorite. 😀 But, yes, both are better than River Oaks Donuts lol