Jump to content
Dakota79

Lower Heights District

Recommended Posts

Well, this is great to know. Thanks for the update about this!

 

On 3/2/2015 at 0:32 AM, Slick Vik said:

I know the guy who bought this land. Hilarious to see the chronicle's dollar amount, it's way off. Secondly it won't be a suburban style development so calm down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2018 at 6:07 PM, EllenOlenska said:

From my apartment's parking garage I saw an excavator on this property.  

Clearing/excavating a drainage channel it appears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Site says 15,000 sf of retail and 375 units on 5 acres. 

 

5 acres is almost a quarter of the total area, so the site layout must have changed significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Angostura said:

Site says 15,000 sf of retail and 375 units on 5 acres. 

 

5 acres is almost a quarter of the total area, so the site layout must have changed significantly.

Wonder if stacked retail is still in play or if they are going to go the more traditional mixed use route. 

 

I've got a retail/non-residential wishlist for this area and the large blocks of land are drying up fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New dirt is nice, but I'd like to see site plans and renderings :) I at least need to know if i should keep following this or just throw in the towel. 

Edited by Visitor
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Triton said:

Huge amount of construction taking place. I'll upload a photo later.

 

2018-10-18 13.07.57.jpg

2018-10-18 13.08.04.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Triton said:

 

2018-10-18 13.08.04.jpg

 

If that is how high they need to go to meet the new "two feet above 500 year floodplain" requirement, that will seriously slow the development of this area.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are renderings being circulated out there now. Rumor is a movie theater is still in play, but more likely Studio Movie Grill now. :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 9:32 AM, H-Town Man said:

 

If that is how high they need to go to meet the new "two feet above 500 year floodplain" requirement, that will seriously slow the development of this area.

 

 

Per the Harris County flood mapping tool. They aren't even near the 500 year floodplain. I honestly have no clue whats going on. I thought at first maybe they are doing what what the original Greenway Plaza did which was build up a mound over at grade parking to conceal it. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triton said:

There are renderings being circulated out there now. Rumor is a movie theater is still in play, but more likely Studio Movie Grill now. :ph34r:

Pics or it didn’t happen bruh bruh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 8:49 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

They're building Houston's first mountain

 

Nah...everyone knows Mount Houston was the first.

 

https://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2010/04/the-story-of-mt-houston/

 

It was leveled by developers but the community built there remains.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Houston,_Texas

 

You can go visit it.  It's off 59 a couple of miles south of the beltway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Triton said:

There are renderings being circulated out there now. Rumor is a movie theater is still in play, but more likely Studio Movie Grill now. :ph34r:

 

I heard mixed use - apartments / theater / some stores... seems like a step in the right direction but not a full on Midway mixed use center. Is that what you're hearing as well?

 

I think their proposal will work well here. I think this area will boom and we will see many more cool projects in the not too distant future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Avossos said:

 

I heard mixed use - apartments / theater / some stores... seems like a step in the right direction but not a full on Midway mixed use center. Is that what you're hearing as well?

 

I think their proposal will work well here. I think this area will boom and we will see many more cool projects in the not too distant future.

 

This is a completely different development but think of the development like this... "boxes with stores and streets and buildings"... Not a full on City Centre but not far away from it.

 

 

received_506308009874894.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.edi-international.com/alexan-lower-heights/

 

Well this is the Alexan. Which got my hopes up but not as high as everybody. Seems a lot like it'll just be like the Apartments on Heights Boulevard (someone recently told me one as The Assembly) and the retail across the street but more of it. Both that group and this development are on the Market Trail. 

Edited by EllenOlenska

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So this is going to be similar to the Buffalo Heights development?

Based on what I am hearing, this sounds like several individual buildings that house retail, a theatre, and multi-family units. And when I said renderings earlier, I should have specified that what is floating around is the layout/schematics of the overall project with very specific names attached to each spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Death to Katyville.  Long Live the New Flesh!  Er New Urbanism!

 

This is great news.  The 1st/6th wards are seeing so much great retail and residential development that this will tie in very nicely and have good synergy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, s3mh said:

Death to Katyville.  Long Live the New Flesh!  Er New Urbanism!

 

This is great news.  The 1st/6th wards are seeing so much great retail and residential development that this will tie in very nicely and have good synergy.  

 

I will speak for first and sixth wards. we are thrilled.

 

I love the idea that the area will connect historic downtown to historic heights while maintaining our own historic and urban identity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, s3mh said:

Death to Katyville.  Long Live the New Flesh!  Er New Urbanism!

 

This is great news.  The 1st/6th wards are seeing so much great retail and residential development that this will tie in very nicely and have good synergy.  

 

Sounds like it will be kind of like these....out in Katy

 

http://www.district-west.com/

https://www.seetimsell.com/blog/highly-anticipated-katy-boardwalk-district-underway/

https://www.lacenterra.com/

 

Long live Katyville!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, s3mh said:

Death to Katyville.  Long Live the New Flesh!  Er New Urbanism!

 

This is great news.  The 1st/6th wards are seeing so much great retail and residential development that this will tie in very nicely and have good synergy.  

 

Less terrible is better than more terrible, but I think "tie in" is a stretch. There's nothing there to tie in to. The site is an island from a walkability standpoint, bordered by a freeway, a railroad and two big box sites. 

 

The thing about drive-to urbanism is that the "drive-to" part is a lot more important than the "urbanism" part.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Angostura said:

 

Less terrible is better than more terrible, but I think "tie in" is a stretch. There's nothing there to tie in to. The site is an island from a walkability standpoint, bordered by a freeway, a railroad and two big box sites. 

 

The thing about drive-to urbanism is that the "drive-to" part is a lot more important than the "urbanism" part.

 

 

Underrated post.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Angostura said:

There's nothing there to tie in to.

 

 

There is Summer St. and Crockett St. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it's right next to the Kroger.  Can park there and walk around.  Also would be nice if they find a way to connect it to the Target shopping center without you having to go back to the Heights trail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 6:08 PM, Triton said:

 

There is Summer St. and Crockett St. 

 

Neither Summer nor Crockett are thru streets to this site. To get to anything resembling a neighborhood, you have to cross 6 acres of Target parking lot.

 

It's now clear that the original sin of this entire area is that Target development. If that area had been platted with thru streets and integrated with the 1st/6th ward street grid, it would be possible to continue that pattern here. Unfortunately, integration with the 1st/6th wards wasn't seen as all that desirable when that site was developed.

 

 

On 11/30/2018 at 9:15 PM, august948 said:

And it's right next to the Kroger.  Can park there and walk around.  

 

On 11/30/2018 at 2:55 PM, Angostura said:

 

The thing about drive-to urbanism is that the "drive-to" part is a lot more important than the "urbanism" part.

 

 

 

Edited by Angostura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Angostura said:

 

To get to anything resembling a neighborhood, you have to cross 6 acres of Target parking lot.

 

 I don't know if it's closer than six acres but you can walk on Market Trail under the highway to the Heights and White Oak St. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Angostura said:

 

Neither Summer nor Crockett are thru streets to this site. To get to anything resembling a neighborhood, you have to cross 6 acres of Target parking lot.

 

It's now clear that the original sin of this entire area is that Target development. If that area had been platted with thru streets and integrated with the 1st/6th ward street grid, it would be possible to continue that pattern here. Unfortunately, integration with the 1st/6th wards wasn't seen as all that desirable when that site was developed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

You really could connect to those streets if you wanted to. The city does have a planned connection here for Summer St., including a proposed expansion of Sawyer.

 

 

LowerHeightsDistrict.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciate the photos, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that it's still just a pile of dirt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it is. Hoping we can call it impressively designed and vast one day :) and hopefully before I move away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 9:35 PM, Visitor said:

There has to be an update site plan now right? Wonder how this fits in...



I have been looking for one for months. I have not found an updated site plan. But in October, a replat for Lower Heights District was submitted to the city for approval.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 10:55 AM, Angostura said:

 

Less terrible is better than more terrible, but I think "tie in" is a stretch. There's nothing there to tie in to. The site is an island from a walkability standpoint, bordered by a freeway, a railroad and two big box sites. 

 

The thing about drive-to urbanism is that the "drive-to" part is a lot more important than the "urbanism" part.

 

 

And that's the thing...for the vast majority of the population of Houston, all urbanism is drive-to urbanism.  Without the drive-to part, you would likely not get much at all. 

 

Baby steps for a place not designed for density.  Baby steps...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably about time to create some catchy hashtaggable nomenclature for this, since I don't see any indication of a mattress store or cheque cashing spot.  #lohei 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So based on these renderings/detail there will be office space, apartments, a movie theater, a Michael's, west elm, and at least one giant parking lot.  Missing anything?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...