Dakota79

Lower Heights District

Very fascinating about the ramp connecting to the bridge... Never seen something like that here. Still fingers crossed for a movie theatre. Honestly this is a little better than what I expected. 

To answer the question, this is between the Sawyer Target and Sawyer Heights wrap - o - rama colony (the plain blocks at the left rear of the image) and the billboard company and Kroger's parking lot (foreground and right).  

It's more than a bit Katyville, but look at the bright side - all that ground floor retail 

• Like 1

On May 7, 2016 at 0:47 PM, nate4l1f3 said:

I hope stacked retail becomes a reality here and embarrasses the studemont junction development. 

Guess not

• Like 1

The more I look at the screen shot, it looks like this is very preliminary. Here's to hoping something changes, and vastly. This is prime real estate and this development looks like the uptown Target on steroids.

• Like 1

*Quick rant*

I guess I'm a little confused what people are expecting here. The next River Oaks District? More hipster stores nobodies heard of? What's wrong with Rice Military and the Heights area (and people like me that live closer to the desert that is Northside Village) getting some big box stores here that more people can afford... What's wrong with a movie theatre too? Don't quite understand the hate towards all this Katyville development... I don't see people jumping on the development that occurred near West University around 59. It's all a bunch of big box stores in an even more urban area and I don't see people jumping on them.

This area just converted from vacant lots and falling apart warehouses to an actual vibrant area full of retail development. I understand the want to make it a huge City Centre part 2 but development takes steps to grow. Let this round of development come in and once we grow even more urban, we can take in a more urban development. This is actually a lot more urban than I expected and is more in line with the Costco development over at Richmond and Westlayan.

• Like 1

Likely because none of the development along 59 inside the loop happened all at once? It's been strip malled/pad sited for decades already? That most of that development happened before anyone considered anything but suburban development for Houston? Maybe because even big box stores could come in different packaging? Maybe because the area around there already has issues with flooding and paving over acres for surface parking does absolutely nothing for our flood issues, our bayou pollution issues, and our increasing heat island effect?

Just because it was industrial doesn't mean we should be excited because a Ross Dress Barn and an Olive Garden are better than a brownfield...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Maybe because even big box stores could come in different packaging?

Is this not that different packaging? This looks so much similar to Blvd Place but it's not as high end (thank God).

Maybe because the area around there already has issues with flooding and paving over acres for surface parking does absolutely nothing for our flood issues, our bayou pollution issues, and our increasing heat island effect?

You're really thinking this is going to cause new flood issues as opposed to the industrial concrete and steel warehouses that existed here before then?

Just because it was industrial doesn't mean we should be excited because a Ross Dress Barn and an Olive Garden are better than a brownfield..

Yet again, what's wrong with a Ross Dress Barn and an Olive Garden going in? Do we really need Tom Ford or Hermes here? Sorry, not everyone makes that much money. Our area has been a desert for retail while 59 has all types of stores in the Montrose and West University area. I welcome the Krogers... the Walmart... the Target here. As someone who needs good groceries in the area and the most basic common retail that didn't even exist here 5 years ago, let me challenge you and tell you people that live here are actually excited by these developments... sorry if this development forum only likes the high-end luxury development... not everything can live up to that level.

Edited by Triton

19 hours ago, Triton said:

You're really thinking this is going to cause new flood issues as opposed to the industrial concrete and steel warehouses that existed here before then?

I'd opine that the new development would probably be better for flood issues than the 20-70 year old industrial developments that predated it. 

I might be siding with Triton on this. The rendering looks like it has parking garages, Not that many surface parking lots, Its right on the heights bike trail. THe development is still fundamentally in the middle of a former industrial area and does appear to have some verticality. Give it a few years, if this is a hot successful retail area... your mid-rise apartments and condos will quickly follow. 

• Like 4

Is it ok if don't like this OR ROD?

...regardless, we're lacking some serious detail here. I don't particularly like the massing (it could always be worse, but I refuse to celebrate mediocrity), but it's not like we actually know what this is going to look like yet.

On 3/16/2016 at 11:25 PM, Mab said:

look like the name will be Sawyer Heights Merchants District 

Washington-Heights-Aerial.jpg?itok=FPLFR

Found the proposed retailers for Lower Heights Merchants District on this flier for Washington Place (archived link)

Proposed retailers are: (sorry if this was posted before)

Ulta
Total Wine & More

Old Navy

Ross Dress for Less
Nordstrom Rack
Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th

Home Goods

Hollywood Shoes Warehouse

Academy Sports & Outdoor

Sam's Club

Marshall's
Michael's

6ZF1Vjh.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

Interesting list, great (proposed) find.

I don't really love the lineup and wonder what putting a marshals/homegoods here would do to the gray st location. Disappointed it may be a Sam's Club and not Costco.

And there's that proposed HEB again that I got trashed on Reddit about. But no... Even though Midway has hinted a grocer is going into their development... 

• Like 2

On 9/15/2016 at 9:00 AM, terra002 said:

Im not sure what  tom ford's or hermes is, but a sporting goods or hardware store would be nice. 

shhhhhh... don't let Monarch hear you say that :mellow:

They're both quite upscale - for example, Hermes ties start at close to $200 and go up from there.  Way up.  Or you can get an Hermes t-shirt for $380.00.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mollusk said:

shhhhhh... don't let Monarch hear you say that :mellow:

They're both quite upscale - for example, Hermes ties start at close to $200 and go up from there.  Way up.  Or you can get an Hermes t-shirt for $380.00.

Yep.  But just look how stunning that T-shirt really is:

http://usa.hermes.com/man/ready-to-wear/active-wear/short-sleeve-t-shirts/h-tshirt-collection-98003.html

/sarcasm 

You can also get a polo shirt in snot green for $455.   

http://usa.hermes.com/man/ready-to-wear/polos/classic/polo-boutonne-3343.html

Edited by UtterlyUrban

I guess my biggest concern, looking at the proposed store lineup and the building rendering, is that we end up with something like Katie Mills.  That place is just awful in multiple ways.

There are suburban retail developments that are done really well and become destination area which then spur additional development around them. I guess that's my ultimate hope for this spot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Visitor said:

I guess my biggest concern, looking at the proposed store lineup and the building rendering, is that we end up with something like Katie Mills.  That place is just awful in multiple ways.

There are suburban retail developments that are done really well and become destination area which then spur additional development around them. I guess that's my ultimate hope for this spot.

That's a reasonable concern.

Yea the store line up is awful, aside from Academy. I used to travel the country for work and it would kill me that every town looked the exact same with all of these same stores. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, terra002 said:

Yea the store line up is awful, aside from Academy. I used to travel the country for work and it would kill me that every town looked the exact same with all of these same stores. 

Isn't the term of art "uniform suburban big box chain hellscape?" 

• Like 3

The plat for this development, along with the Outside Media site to the immediate NW of the site, is on the next Houston Planning Commission agenda.

• Like 3

On 5/6/2016 at 4:51 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From the latest Studemont Junction brochure, the development is no longer going by Sawyer Heights Merchants District but Lower Heights Merchants District:

g5VZpQu.jpg

On 12/28/2016 at 10:18 AM, andre154 said:

The plat for this development, along with the Outside Media site to the immediate NW of the site, is on the next Houston Planning Commission agenda.

From Twitter, a plat of the Lower Heights District or Lower Heights Merchants District

f1P3wwT.jpg
https://twitter.com/chrisandrewsCDA/status/814145866625851393

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 4

Costco joined the Greater Heights Chamber of Commerce, prompting rumors that they are going to build at this development.  

• Like 7

On 2/17/2017 at 0:11 PM, s3mh said:

Costco joined the Greater Heights Chamber of Commerce, prompting rumors that they are going to build at this development.  

Still hearing that Sam's is locked in here, would definitely prefer Costco though.

• Like 1

3 stories on each side with a parking garage in the middle? Sounds like they have changed the layout since the early renderings. Still don't have high hopes.

• Like 1

I had low expectations and this didn't even hit those....pathetic

Edited by Visitor
  • Like 5

I don't know how this site will look but it's pretty cool they're putting in a Cinemark

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Visitor said:

I had low expectations and this didn't even hit those....pathetic

It's better than what was there before. So glad the warehouses are gone. Now that was pathetic.

• Like 2

All the retailers have their place, so I don't have any problem with the development personally, but the name does sound like an admission of compromise

"When your standards are low, you're aiming for Lower Heights."

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1

nordstrum rack is good. One less reason for me to need the galleria area. And the area needs a movie theater. It is a movie theater desert, if you will. The one on 59 near Greenway, or the one at i10 and Silber are your options.

I don't get the disappointment though. Considering it's nestled comfortably between a walmart and target, I'm not sure how high one could set their expectations.

They will only dash my expectations if they don't create access to the bike path. Ride your bike to the movies, so you won't feel so guilty about drinking the super tanker of coke and snacking on the milk duds.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

It's better than what was there before. So glad the warehouses are gone. Now that was pathetic.

I respectfully disagree. With warehouses there is a. Hope for a good development to come along and b. Does not create a "lower" end destination.  There is a nearby current development that this type of center would be more appropriate next to.

I wasn't expecting a ROD part II, just higher expectations than Sam's club, Ross-esque stores, and movie theater...

1 hour ago, Visitor said:

I respectfully disagree. With warehouses there is a. Hope for a good development to come along and b. Does not create a "lower" end destination.  There is a nearby current development that this type of center would be more appropriate next to.

I wasn't expecting a ROD part II, just higher expectations than Sam's club, Ross-esque stores, and movie theater...

It was always an eyesore traveling this part of I10. Sure it's not the best development for the area but an industrial park this close to downtown was worse. So if you had to choose either or, which one would you choose? 

• Like 1

Yes!!!! We are getting a Cinemark! Very awesome... this was my biggest hope for the project.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Triton said:

Yes!!!! We are getting a Cinemark! Very awesome... this was my biggest hope for the project.

Thought of you when I saw that. Recall us discussing theaters earlier in the thread. :)

• Like 2

We shouldn't get too carried away about those tenant listings. Note that it says "proposed retailers".  These are probably just representative of the types of retail they plan/hope to attract.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HOUCAJUN said:

It was always an eyesore traveling this part of I10. Sure it's not the best development for the area but an industrial park this close to downtown was worse. So if you had to choose either or, which one would you choose? 

The location is obscure enough I rarely noticed it. So I'd easily choose the warehouse, again, leaving some thread of hope for the future. Such a prime piece of land that I feel like we swung and missed on.

• Like 1

How long was the warehouse there? 70 years? There could have been "hope" in that spot for 70 more. I prefer to live with this retail/entertainment development while I'm "hoping" for something better.

Edited by Reporter
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

We shouldn't get too carried away about those tenant listings. Note that it says "proposed retailers".  These are probably just representative of the types of retail they plan/hope to attract.

Don't crush my dreams, man.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Visitor said:

The location is obscure enough I rarely noticed it. So I'd easily choose the warehouse, again, leaving some thread of hope for the future. Such a prime piece of land that I feel like we swung and missed on.

Since it's so obscure, it shouldn't really matter whether it's an industrial site, or big box retail. There was a higher and better use of the land than industrial today, that means that there may be a higher and better use of the land than generic retail tomorrow.

18 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Then I'll be hopeful that nordstrum rack and movie theater are part of the list, and that a kohl's is in the list rather than ross.