This is in the wrong thread, right?

plans for an industrial site along Interstate 10 just west of downtown, where a developer is planning a "stacked power center" that features multiple box stores like Ross or TJ Maxx built atop each other.

I think this is actually for the intersection of Jenson and Clinton.

• Like 1

Yeah it in the wrong thread I couldn't find the thread for the tarkett warehouse site.

Also does anyone have an update on this development I can't find anything for Studemont Junction 

• Like 2

This is in the wrong thread, right?

I think this is actually for the intersection of Jenson and Clinton.

"plans for an industrial site along Interstate 10 just west of downtown" does not sound like it's going to be at the intersection of Jensen and Clinton.  (Of course, it's always possible that the Chron got it wrong.)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/07/whats-next-for-the-former-tarkett-site-near-the.html

The $40 million sale of the former Tarkett property, off Interstate 10 near the Heights, closed July 22, but speculation on what's next for the 21-acre site has been running high for months.

The new owner, Gulf Coast Commercial Group, is still forming plans for the site, said Patrick Egan, a partner at the company. The area has been changing rapidly from a primarily industrial neighborhood to a mix of retail and residential — the site sits in between a Target and a Kroger.

Retail will be a key component of whatever ends up on the site, Egan said.

• Like 2

That Kroger is most assuredly a Kroger, surly employees and all, yet it remains packed at all times.  The next Krogers over for the Heights are Shepherd and 11th or Yale and 20th.  Sprouts over on Yale at the Katy seems to be making the rent - its parking lot was full this afternoon, and all registers were going with lines.  An HEB would do just fine, methinks.

• Like 1

Maybe a Lowe's or a Home depot - there isn't one that close to downtown.

I like the movie theater idea too

A Home Depot would be amazing. Or Lowes.

Also a movie theater.

For all the home decor oriented, a home goods would probably have a solid customer base.

I remember a lady post this on the height life Facebook page in late june

Just in: Studemont & I-10 area (Kroger & McD side) is getting MORE stores; REI, Nordstrom Rack, Container Store, Lowe's, Costco, movie theaters & bar , etc....Also, a new back road that will connect these stores on over to Target (Taylor Rd.). Construction starts around 12 months. Just seen the construction plans. How much more does this city need?

Edited by Mab
  • Like 2

I remember a lady post this on the height life Facebook page in late june

That sounds awesome!! I'll let katyville haters go nuts on that info but as someone who lives over here, that would be amazing to have all of those so close. Surprises me that they don't build a connector to Studemont/Studewood on the westbound side then. There's not even a u-turn under Heights Blvd.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

As long as its not just some run-of-the-mill suburban tract plan then sounds good to me. Was already disappointed with the planning of the Kroger area and then the Target area....third time a charm?

LOL funny.

• Like 2

While development is easing in most sectors, retail is just coming to the table, says NewQuest EVP Chris Dray, pictured, left, with moderator Insgroup SVP Philip Wise. NewQuest has 13 retail projects under development, including three mixed-use centers inside the Loop. One of the biggest changes is the resurgence of the big box—six or seven power centers are planned across the metro. But he’s got his eye on something that’d be a true game changer.Gulf Coast Commercial develops vertical retail at the former Tarkett site in the Heights, it’d be the first of its kind in Texas. Nothing definitive has been announced, but Chris believes it’ll happen and says “it’ll change everything.”

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/mixed-use/houston-developers-defying-national-perception-with-new-projects-49116?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

• Like 2

While development is easing in most sectors, retail is just coming to the table, says NewQuest EVP Chris Dray, pictured, left, with moderator Insgroup SVP Philip Wise. NewQuest has 13 retail projects under development, including three mixed-use centers inside the Loop. One of the biggest changes is the resurgence of the big box—six or seven power centers are planned across the metro. But he’s got his eye on something that’d be a true game changer.Gulf Coast Commercial develops vertical retail at the former Tarkett site in the Heights, it’d be the first of its kind in Texas. Nothing definitive has been announced, but Chris believes it’ll happen and says “it’ll change everything.”

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/houston/news/mixed-use/houston-developers-defying-national-perception-with-new-projects-49116?utm_source=CopyShare&utm_medium=Browser

Big Box never left, big box is here to stay.

By "vertical" retail do they mean 2 story strip centers? Like the one off 59 or the one on Post Oak?

While it would be nice to have katyville developed more urban, I'm confident in a couple decades it will.

• Like 1

Any truth to any of this?

Update on the Grocer Supply location
Just returned home from a family gathering and my relative who works for Memorial Hermann just gave me an update on what is going in at the Grocer Supply location. As I had mentioned many months ago, the site is to me a "Convenient Care Center" (CCC) for Memorial Hermann that will occupy a 35000 sf facility with the 1st floor being an ER facility with X Rays
 and MRI, and the upstairs will be doctor offices geared toward family needs - pediatrician, OB/GYN, and so on. All of this will be announced mid September when the official renaming of the 610-Ella hospital to Memorial Hermann Greater Heights. The Studewood location, along with an Urgent Care center (at I-10 and Washington) will be open in 2017. Sometime in October, official announcements will be published.
The more interesting part of the development story is what is going in at the Tarkett location by Kroger. The new development there will be completed in 2017. But here is the kicker... A new Kroger will be built along with a Best Buy and other retailers in a 3-story Atrium development and more apartments. I was told the Kroger current location would be sold and likely demolished for more apt and retail development. This location is apparently the top producing Kroger in the state. I don't have the info to back this statistic up, but it was part of the development story. So, this led to the question of an HEB. A top exec at Memorial Hermann is friends with Scott McClelland with HEB and he was asked if Kroger is doing so well at that location, why isn't HEB entering the Heights market. Supposedly, Mr McClelland said HEB is, but the location will be on the north side of I-10. Which street was not mentioned or known. I say YAY to that!!! 
So back to the MHCCC going in at Grocer Supply. The building will be "L" shaped and will contain other retail in addition to the 35,000 sf Hermann center.
Again, my source is a family member with a high up executive role with MH, but I told him I would not share his name. The info will become public in September.
That's all I've got. Just thought I'd share.

HEB will have a new location at the corner of Waugh @ Washington, scheduled to open in late 2017/early 2018. That location is currently occupied by an apartment complex, it's coming down soon.

• Like 3

Yea so I read everything in that nextdoor thread. So much BS I had to write a comment. It's just people thinking they have the inside scoop on something that it doesn't even make sense logically. It's too soon... everyone wants the inside scoop on this development. Let's wait until the developers actually have something to share...