• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Angostura said:

Site says 15,000 sf of retail and 375 units on 5 acres. 

5 acres is almost a quarter of the total area, so the site layout must have changed significantly.

Wonder if stacked retail is still in play or if they are going to go the more traditional mixed use route. 

I've got a retail/non-residential wishlist for this area and the large blocks of land are drying up fast.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/19/2018 at 9:32 AM, H-Town Man said:

If that is how high they need to go to meet the new "two feet above 500 year floodplain" requirement, that will seriously slow the development of this area.

Per the Harris County flood mapping tool. They aren't even near the 500 year floodplain. I honestly have no clue whats going on. I thought at first maybe they are doing what what the original Greenway Plaza did which was build up a mound over at grade parking to conceal it. That doesn't seem to be the case.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:49 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

They're building Houston's first mountain

Nah...everyone knows Mount Houston was the first.

https://blog.chron.com/bayoucityhistory/2010/04/the-story-of-mt-houston/

It was leveled by developers but the community built there remains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Houston,_Texas

You can go visit it.  It's off 59 a couple of miles south of the beltway.

15 hours ago, Triton said:

There are renderings being circulated out there now. Rumor is a movie theater is still in play, but more likely Studio Movie Grill now. :ph34r:

I heard mixed use - apartments / theater / some stores... seems like a step in the right direction but not a full on Midway mixed use center. Is that what you're hearing as well?

I think their proposal will work well here. I think this area will boom and we will see many more cool projects in the not too distant future.

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

I heard mixed use - apartments / theater / some stores... seems like a step in the right direction but not a full on Midway mixed use center. Is that what you're hearing as well?

I think their proposal will work well here. I think this area will boom and we will see many more cool projects in the not too distant future.

This is a completely different development but think of the development like this... "boxes with stores and streets and buildings"... Not a full on City Centre but not far away from it.

received_506308009874894.png

https://www.edi-international.com/alexan-lower-heights/

Well this is the Alexan. Which got my hopes up but not as high as everybody. Seems a lot like it'll just be like the Apartments on Heights Boulevard (someone recently told me one as The Assembly) and the retail across the street but more of it. Both that group and this development are on the Market Trail. 

Edited by EllenOlenska

26 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

So this is going to be similar to the Buffalo Heights development?

Based on what I am hearing, this sounds like several individual buildings that house retail, a theatre, and multi-family units. And when I said renderings earlier, I should have specified that what is floating around is the layout/schematics of the overall project with very specific names attached to each spot.

31 minutes ago, s3mh said:

Death to Katyville.  Long Live the New Flesh!  Er New Urbanism!

This is great news.  The 1st/6th wards are seeing so much great retail and residential development that this will tie in very nicely and have good synergy.  

I will speak for first and sixth wards. we are thrilled.

I love the idea that the area will connect historic downtown to historic heights while maintaining our own historic and urban identity!

6 hours ago, s3mh said:

This is great news.  The 1st/6th wards are seeing so much great retail and residential development that this will tie in very nicely and have good synergy.  

Sounds like it will be kind of like these....out in Katy

http://www.district-west.com/

https://www.seetimsell.com/blog/highly-anticipated-katy-boardwalk-district-underway/

https://www.lacenterra.com/

Long live Katyville!

20 hours ago, s3mh said:

Less terrible is better than more terrible, but I think "tie in" is a stretch. There's nothing there to tie in to. The site is an island from a walkability standpoint, bordered by a freeway, a railroad and two big box sites. 

The thing about drive-to urbanism is that the "drive-to" part is a lot more important than the "urbanism" part.

2 hours ago, Angostura said:

Less terrible is better than more terrible, but I think "tie in" is a stretch. There's nothing there to tie in to. The site is an island from a walkability standpoint, bordered by a freeway, a railroad and two big box sites. 

The thing about drive-to urbanism is that the "drive-to" part is a lot more important than the "urbanism" part.

Underrated post.